Pet Peeves

People I don't know who greet me initially by using a question:

* How you doing?
* What's happening?
* How's everything?

Miss Barista, if you really want to know how I'm doing, I can tell you all the sordid details of the history of my ingrown toenail, and how it was really cased by the dog. I have a feeling that you don't really care about that though. So don't ask. Just say hello.

That is what I do. I tell them how it is.

"How are you doing?"

"Lousy, and you?"

And then they get all startled. Well you asked, right?

The reply to 'thank you' is 'you are welcome' and not 'uh-huh'

That's one of mine too. Right behind it is the clerk who hands you your receipt and is done acknowledging you. No "thank you". Nothing.

That's one of mine too. Right behind it is the clerk who hands you your receipt and is done acknowledging you. No "thank you". Nothing.

I'll agree on that and raise you a:

People who don't acknowledge you or otherwise say "thank you" when you hold the door for them. Excuse me Miss, but next time I'll just slam it and YOU can open it yourself.

On the other side of that, people who hold the door/elevator/etc for me when I'm a mile away..forcing me to increase my pace to get there in time, lest I be met with a "geeze" or look from the person like "I was WAITING for you, you should have been here faster".

Three step rule people..if I'm more than 3 steps away from the door, I don't expect you to hold it for me. Elevator might be a bit longer of course, but man..not a freakin' parking lot walk away.

I'm not a fan of forced speech. If you say thank you why am I REQUIRED to say "you're welcome"? I'm for mixing it up to keep it fresh.

My pleasure, any time, yup! (with a wink and a smile) should all be acceptable.

I'll agree on that and raise you a:

People who don't acknowledge you or otherwise say "thank you" when you hold the door for them. Excuse me Miss, but next time I'll just slam it and YOU can open it yourself.
Yes

On the other side of that, people who hold the door/elevator/etc for me when I'm a mile away..forcing me to increase my pace to get there in time, lest I be met with a "geeze" or look from the person like "I was WAITING for you, you should have been here faster".

Three step rule people..if I'm more than 3 steps away from the door, I don't expect you to hold it for me. Elevator might be a bit longer of course, but man..not a freakin' parking lot walk away.
And yes.

And to add one of mine: At work, in the office, people who come over to your desk to chat and can't get the hint that you are busy and stay there for 30 minutes talking about god knows what when all you want to do is finish whatever you were doing.

To add one more: People who browse DVD's to rent at Redbox (portable self-service DVD rental stands in stores/7-11/etc) for 20 minutes and end up not renting anything. They couldn't care any less that you are standing behind them with a DVD in hand needing to return it before 9pm to avoid another charge and it's 8:50. :mad2:

To add one more: People who browse DVD's to rent at Redbox (portable self-service DVD rental stands in stores/7-11/etc) for 20 minutes and end up not renting anything. They couldn't care any less that you are standing behind them with a DVD in hand needing to return it before 9pm to avoid another charge and it's 8:50. :mad2:

I sent a benny sug (oops, sorry, old Navy slang does NOT go away) to Redbox suggesting that they modify their boxes to add a return slot and mini screen on the sides for just that. Was resoundingly ignored.

Oooo, hot topic here at the inn.

As some of you know, we have 200+ movies on DVD that you can check out, just like a library. Virtually every flying movie ever made.

The people who stand at the front desk perusing all 200 titles -- which include some of the best movies ever made -- and can't find anything "worth watching", drive us crazy!

Corollary: There are about 10 non-flying movies in the collection. These were left in a room by a guest, and include such luminous titles as "Meet the Fokkers" and "Otis & Milo".

We always laugh when people painstakingly page past masterpieces like "12 O'clock High" and "Casablanca", or newer titles like "Gravity" or "Amelia", just so they can watch one of "those" movies.

2nd corollary: It's depressing the number of young people who have never heard of Lindbergh, the Flying Tigers, or even Amelia Earhart. :(

t
We always laugh when people painstakingly page past masterpieces like "12 O'clock High" and "Casablanca", or newer titles like "Gravity" or "Amelia", just so they can watch one of "those" movies.

Gravity should have been buried in a landfill like those Atari games in the desert long before release.

Meet the Fokkers however... Now that's an important movie. Without it you can't understand when I explain to you that you're not in the "circle of trust" yet. Heh heh. :)

New pet peeve. People who are selling something online and put the brand name of every competing product at the bottom. Ex. I'm searching Craigslist for a Chevy Colorado and it's amazing how many unrelated vehicles come up because at the bottom of their ads they put "f150 F-150 tacoma silverado tacoma rogue f250 f350 f450 s10....."

If I'm bored and have time I'll respond to their ads and tell them I'm really interested and would like to look at it if they'll meet me in a nearby town.

Not really a pet peeve but when ATC tells an aircraft to standby and they read back "standby":mad2:. Or when ATC gives a squawk code and tells the aircraft to ident, "Cessna 12345 squawking XXXX and indenting":mad2::mad2:

When someone posts something that's not really a pet peeve in a pet peeve thread

Not really a pet peeve but when ATC tells an aircraft to standby and they read back "standby":mad2:. Or when ATC gives a squawk code and tells the aircraft to ident, "Cessna 12345 squawking XXXX and indenting":mad2::mad2:

Yeah, I don't even move my thumb towards the PTT switch in either of those situations. Indenting the squawk code is done how?

Indenting the squawk code is done how?

with a keyboard just like indenting anything else. :D

I read back squawk codes out of habit. It seems to me that the code is part of the info I read back on an IFR clearance. If the readback annoys someone, well, all I can say is get over yourself...

I read back squawk codes out of habit. It seems to me that the code is part of the info I read back on an IFR clearance. If the readback annoys someone, well, all I can say is get over yourself...

Likewise, I was taught to read back squawks and altimeter settings, etc..., numbers only, and abbreviated call sign.

I do as well unless I'm told to ident. He's going to know in about 3 seconds that I received the transmission.

Gerrymandering. Paying for other people's health insurance. Toll roads. Most recycling. Waiting in line while someone realizes that, yes, I do have to pay for this stuff! Now let me search for wallet, etc.

Long, long threads about pointless regs. . . "am I night current if my first landing is exactly 60 minutes after sunset, or must it be 60 minutes and one second, with a live chicken in the right seat,and what applies if the chicken dies before all three landings are complete. . . ."

The idiots that turn left from the road on your right onto a 4-lane road while the light is turning yellow to red and block all the lanes on the 4-lane road because the traffic in front of them was too much to get into the lanes properly and they were so self-important that they felt they had the right to block traffic by staying in the intersection. This is the first time I have ever yelled at people on the road. I was on my motorcycle so I know the 4-6 dumb ****s heard me. During evening rush hour.

double doors where one of them is always locked shut. What the **** is the point of having two doors if only one is usable?!?!?!

^^^^ yes! Friggin' yes!

Ha, I grab both handles and gently pull to see which one gives way. Annoying for sure.

Users who start their phone call or email with "I know I should open a ticket about this" and proceed blithely on from there while you wonder "then why didn't you?" instead of listening to what they are saying :mad2: :rolleyes:

double doors where one of them is always locked shut. What the **** is the point of having two doors if only one is usable?!?!?!

How did this take 1,342 posts to get to?

Okay, we got her boyz... Shut 'er down!

Here's one: Why are new seats for my RV-8A almost $3000? WTF?

They are postage stamp-sized and bone-simple, compared to my Cherokee seats. I had four of those completely reupholstered in leather for less!

People who complain about having to buy parts for their homemade airplane when they could be making the parts themselves.

I will reply to both. For the "standby" I will reply with nothing but the last three of the tail.

For the squawk and ident I will reply "0231 ident, 725"

I just recently started hearing airplanes reading back the last two numbers/letters of their tail number. Use correct phraseology!

My biggest pet peeve - something that prevents me from doing something I don't want to do to begin with.

It's everywhere in life. Gotta dig a hole? Shovel handle is broken. Gotta change a flat tire? Can't get to the spare without removing all your stuff from the back. etc, etc.

I just recently started hearing airplanes reading back the last two numbers/letters of their tail number. Use correct phraseology!

That’s probably just because the pilots are flying something multi-syllabic like 777SU rather than something pithy like 464GM. :D

People who are peeved about something they 'just recently' heard that's been going on for decades.

New pet peeve. People who are selling something online and put the brand name of every competing product at the bottom. Ex. I'm searching Craigslist for a Chevy Colorado and it's amazing how many unrelated vehicles come up because at the bottom of their ads they put "f150 F-150 tacoma silverado tacoma rogue f250 f350 f450 s10....."

If I'm bored and have time I'll respond to their ads and tell them I'm really interested and would like to look at it if they'll meet me in a nearby town.

I'm split on that one, it kinda matters how close it is to my search. Say I'm searching for a Miata and some comparable price range comparable types like an MR-2, Fiat Spyder, MGB, or even say a convertible Cavalier, I'm fine. Most of the time I'm not that fussed about the brand. When an F-250 pop up, yeah, that's a "WTF dude, really?" moment.

Back