Pet Peeves

People standing too close to me in line. :hairraise: Especially when store space is abundant.

Sends shivers up my spine.

It's not about you. It's just that in line at Shipleys, you happen to be between me and the donuts.

Hello. You.

Yes, you, there, in that car with the fog lights turned on. You're blinding everyone, especially those who are slightly older than you and are more susceptible to glare. Turn those things off. Really, off, and just don't turn 'em on again.

Oh, and you there in the BMW/Jag/Mercedes/Audi/Volvo with the REAR fog lights? Really. Turn 'em off. Everyone thinks you're braking. All. The. Time.

Just realized this now. I used to work at Dunkin' Donuts when I was a teen.

Me: Hi. How are you?
Customer: Large coffee, cream, and sugar

No freakin' courtesy these days.

Let me turn this around:

You: Hi, how are you?

Me: Lousy, just terrible. My house burned down, I crashed my Jeep, my STD test was off the chart and my dog had been violated.

You: Uhh... sorry (thinking: I really didn't need to hear all that.)

Me: (thinking: You asked....)

Summer job before 11th grade working at a bakery. First day at 5 am, getting ready to make the donuts.

Owner: now don't get any of this (huge vat of Crisco) on your pecker
Me: thinking WTF
Owner: know why?
Me: playing along....no
Owner: 'cause it's "shortening"
Me: faked laughing :rolleyes2:;)

Last edited:
Hello. You.

Yes, you, there, in that car with the fog lights turned on. You're blinding everyone, especially those who are slightly older than you and are more susceptible to glare. Turn those things off. Really, off, and just don't turn 'em on again.

Those are mostly 'driving lights'. Real fog lights are mounted low and only cover the 100ft in front of the car. Most cars are mis-wired and run the regular headlights with the fogs, which completely defeats the purpose.

Oh, and you there in the BMW/Jag/Mercedes/Audi/Volvo with the REAR fog lights? Really. Turn 'em off. Everyone thinks you're braking. All. The. Time.

The law where these lights come from is that you are only to turn them on if visibility is below 150ft.
I live just off the Potomac. Occasionally we get the kind of fog where you dont see the end of the driveway.

I no longer have Pet Peeves,

I have service animal peeves.

Those are mostly 'driving lights'. Real fog lights are mounted low and only cover the 100ft in front of the car. Most cars are mis-wired and run the regular headlights with the fogs, which completely defeats the purpose.

Don't care what they're called, the proper descriptive name would be "AssHat GLareMakers."

The law where these lights come from is that you are only to turn them on if visibility is below 150ft.

The law where these lights comes from includes requiring drivers to observe right of way - and the enforcement thereof.

I live just off the Potomac. Occasionally we get the kind of fog where you dont see the end of the driveway.

We might occasionally get that, too. I'd never object to use of fog lights, WHEN THERE'S FOG OUT!

OMG. People that go to the can while on the cell phone.

I mean just wait or at least tell me to hang on, I'll call right back.

Nothing ends a business call quicker than for me to hear certain and positively identifiable noises on the other end and then the commode flush....

Hello. You.

That first part is a way of life out here. We kinda need 'em to see anything. Especially critters in the ditch.

It's nice living where the bright switch is a daily part of life. Honestly. Love it.

But agree. Don't need that crap in town. You people have streetlights.

Nothing ends a business call quicker than for me to hear certain and positively identifiable noises on the other end and then the commode flush....

0fd980a2273598038c499af9baa680f5.jpg

Some of my ATC pet peeves all in one sentence:

"Be advised, the current winds are one two zero at eight at this time."

I can't stand it when someone says "be advised" regardless of which end of the radio that they're on. It would be the same as, "I'm just about to tell you something." which is filler and unnecessary.

There is no such thing as "current wind" as it is read real time and like computer equipment, as soon as its out, its obsolete.

Wind(s)? really?

"At this time"... replaces a period at the end of a sentence and is also unnecessary.

Some of my ATC pet peeves all in one sentence:

"Be advised, the current winds are one two zero at eight at this time."

I can't stand it when someone says "be advised" regardless of which end of the radio that they're on. It would be the same as, "I'm just about to tell you something." which is filler and unnecessary.

There is no such thing as "current wind" as it is read real time and like computer equipment, as soon as its out, its obsolete.

Wind(s)? really?

"At this time"... replaces a period at the end of a sentence and is also unnecessary.

Be advised that ATC might think that is a petty criticism to make, at the time.

People who will let cars pile up behind them while they're waiting for someone else to vacate a spot that they want so they don't have to go the extra 20 feet to the next empty parking space.

Even worse is when i'm in a company car w/ the logo all over it keeping me from laying on the horn.

I AM ATC and the more succinct one can make a transmission, the safer it is for everyone.

Had a young guy come in the can at the office with his cell stuck to his face. I glared at him, pointed at the door and said "get the hell out of here with that thing!" :nono:

Had a young guy come in the can at the office with his cell stuck to his face. I glared at him, pointed at the door and said "get the hell out of here with that thing!" :nono:

....meany. :nonod:

...but I like it! :yes:

Was he unzipping his pants as you said that?....:lol::lol::lol:

I AM ATC and the more succinct one can make a transmission, the safer it is for everyone.

It peeves me when I want to emphasize a word right before or after a word that is normally caps making my emphasis look weird.

People that go shopping with no idea what they want and ask "what's the hot new toy this year?'"

"Do you have the new toy?" Year two weeks before Christmas we do.... No!!!!

The barbecue kolaches they did a couple of years ago were worth doing terrible things for.

Haven't had those. But I'm usually disappointed by their sausage and/ or sausage+cheese kolaches.* Their doughnuts are much better IMO.

*The problem is that I don't get to that area of the country often, so whenever I do, I grab kolaches when I can. I need to learn not to buy 'em from Shipley's. I may try Buckee's next time...

Haven't had those. But I'm usually disappointed by their sausage and/ or sausage+cheese kolaches.* Their doughnuts are much better IMO.

*The problem is that I don't get to that area of the country often, so whenever I do, I grab kolaches when I can. I need to learn not to buy 'em from Shipley's. I may try Buckee's next time...
Kolache Factory for kolaches as well, man. Their jalapeño popper kolache is worth all of the deferred toilet displeasure.

Along the lines of the bathroom peeve, people who walk out of the bathroom without having washed their hands. I always want to call after them in a loud voice "you know that the soap and water are provided for free, don't you? "

"This goes without saying..."
"Needless to say..."

Really? Then why are you ****ing saying it?!?

If people 'who may require extra time to board the aircraft' are able to run to the gate so they can still cut the line in front of the business class folks.

If people 'who may require extra time to board the aircraft' are able to run to the gate so they can still cut the line in front of the business class folks.

I've never understood why 1st and business WANT to board first. Why would you want to be in that tube longer? The last person to board Air Force One isn't the press corps...its the POTUS.

I've never understood why 1st and business WANT to board first. Why would you want to be in that tube longer? The last person to board Air Force One isn't the press corps...its the POTUS.

If you're hanging around the gate waiting to board, you aren't drinking.

Never understood that concept. Business should board last. You have reserved overhead space, no need for the wild stampede to get your overstuffed bags onto the plane.

I would rather drink in the terminal.

Never understood that concept. Business should board last. You have reserved overhead space, no need for the wild stampede to get your overstuffed bags onto the plane.

I would rather drink in the terminal.

Me too, but it depends on the airport. At SFO I can take a short stroll from the lounge to the gate. At HKG, not so much.

Those little white strips of paper packaged in the foil on Hershey's Kisses, every little one. They get everywhere. AND are hard to pick up. You almost need tweezers or pointed pliers. What are they FOR?? I hate 'em. A pox on them Hershey people that put those things in.

Back