Personal Attacks

RotorAndWing

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Rotor&Wing
It appears to me reading various threads the level of personal attacks are rising.

Over the past year the level of civility is dropping and people are also posting political garbage outside of the spin zone.

And it seems we've picked up quite a few "trolls" masquerading as posters.

I'm sure I'm not the only one noticing this as I have spoken to others that see it as well.

There's this one guy who trolls the forum claiming that 337s are great and Beech quality is lacking. :)

Whatcha expect with wimmin showing up?

I have noticed quite a few eye opening instances where civility was lacking. Makes me wonder why folks feel the need to engage in such behavior.

I agree, the "political garbage" is increasing. I didn't join POA to hear arguments about political nonsense. I can get that any day on FB.

I agree, the "political garbage" is increasing. I didn't join POA to hear arguments about political nonsense. I can get that any day on FB.
Until just the last few months, it used to be that whenever something Spin Zone material was posted in the regular forums, it was moved by a mod within a post or two. It almost seems to me that whoever that mod was, must have left or just given up?

If only the internet would come to its senses and behave like I know it should. :)

Until just the last few months, it used to be that whenever something Spin Zone material was posted in the regular forums, it was moved by a mod within a post or two. It almost seems to me that whoever that mod was, must have left or just given up?
Lefty drivel stays, righty drivel gets punted immediately. They both suck.

It appears to me reading various threads the level of personal attacks are rising.

Over the past year the level of civility is dropping and people are also posting political garbage outside of the spin zone.

I'm sure I'm not the only one noticing this as I have spoken to others that see it as well.
I have a couple theories. One has to do with the increase in use of Tapatalk and smartphones. I love Tapatalk, but one thing I have noticed as I have transitioned from reading the forum primarily on a desktop to viewing it on my iPhone/iPad through Tapatalk, it is much easier to take posts out of context and/or miss what others have posted a page or two prior, so I know I have made a few posts in error or taken things out of context here and there since shifting to Tapatalk. I can imagine others have as well. I think the combination of natural pilot egos and having each others comments sometimes mis-read increases tension. The use of instant communication through smartphones also sometimes contributes to people speaking before thinking which doesn't help. I've seen several threads recently where someone posted something that probably just didn't quite come out right, but when others tried to question it, they went full defensive and it just gets ugly from there.

The other theory was recently alluded to by another poster in the flap thread....it is possible that as more and more folks have become disillusioned with AOPA and fed up with the Red Board, they have come over here and polluted the waters. :dunno:

Good insight there Fearless. I have certainly had my share of fubar's due to bad typing on the iPad.

I invited a friend to POA today that is working on his SEL and forewarned him that some threads get pretty full of testosterone at times.

I have long said that we all as pilots have a common interest and need to support more than we tear down. Life would be great if it were not for all these humans. LOL.

Is this intended to be an admission or an apology on your part ?

I'd like to know who the 'others" are. any one here verify they have spoken to rotor?

Any more, they're just as likely to join in...if they agree with the premise.

Yeah, dammit! It just sucks when everybody doesn't do what you want all the time....:rolleyes2:

They need to pass a law!

Remember folks, the MC only takes action when a member flags it for being out of line. If you something bad, tell us. We don't "patrol."

We DO want civil treatment.

Remember folks, the MC only takes action when a member flags it for being out of line. If you something bad, tell us. We don't "patrol."

We DO want civil treatment.

Is there a reward? If so Henning did it.

Good insight there Fearless. I have certainly had my share of fubar's due to bad typing on the iPad.

I invited a friend to POA today that is working on his SEL and forewarned him that some threads get pretty full of testosterone at times.

I have long said that we all as pilots have a common interest and need to support more than we tear down. Life would be great if it were not for all these humans. LOL.

Wouldn't that be great if we all supported aviation? No matter what we fly? :yes:

Yea right, like that would ever happen here. :rolleyes:

RV jokes and pokes are still the norm, and I suspect always will be. :mad2:

Is this intended to be an admission or an apology on your part ?

Nailed it! :rofl:

:yes:

Wouldn't that be great if we all supported aviation? No matter what we fly? :yes:

That's like saying "Wouldn't that be great if we all supported guns, no matter who we shoot?" :yes:

Yeah, dammit! It just sucks when everybody doesn't do what you want all the time....:rolleyes2:

They need to pass a law!

Hey I don't mind arguments on aviation topics. It just gets soo old to start off a thread and then it rolls into a "political commentary" as iNdigo pointed out in the airport elevation thread. Thread creep happens but when it goes the political route it always ends in personal attacks on here.

If I want to read trash talking I can get on YouTube. If I want to read political "discussions" I can get on FB and watch my lib friends and right wing friends go at it. I come here for aviation.

Well, RVs (actually it's mostly their pilots) are jokes, so naturally it's the norm....:rofl:;)

Well, RVs (actually it's mostly their pilots) are jokes, so naturally it's the norm....:rofl:;)

:mad: :rolleyes: :rofl:

See! :mad2: This from a guy that can't ( or won't) hold a steady job! :rofl:;)

Now back to your regularly scheduled uncivilized, personal attacking forum.

:rofl:

Hey I don't mind arguments on aviation topics. It just gets soo old to start off a thread and then it rolls into a "political commentary" as iNdigo pointed out in the airport elevation thread. Thread creep happens but when it goes the political route it always ends in personal attacks on here.

If I want to read trash talking I can get on YouTube. If I want to read political "discussions" I can get on FB and watch my lib friends and right wing friends go at it. I come here for aviation.

Not everything has to be political, but I think more people here are more passionate about flap deployment than they are about the latest congressional (in)action ;)

(I learned a lot on the flap over flaps thread)

The other theory was recently alluded to by another poster in the flap thread....it is possible that as more and more folks have become disillusioned with AOPA and fed up with the Red Board, they have come over here and polluted the waters. :dunno:

That there is hilarious! Blaming the Red Board for bad behavior on this one. :rolleyes2: Trust me, as one that frequents both boards, the bad behavior here lives here, spawned here and is a product of here.

The internet has the same magical property that automobiles have. Isolation and anonymity. Both the internet and cars bring out the inner ass hole in people. Add that to a lightly moderated forum where crazy political discussion is encouraged and well... what do you expect?

To the OP- Maybe now you see why the Red Board has a strict aviation only policy and is tightly moderated. If you want to live in the land of the free, you have to learn to tolerate, ignore and deal with the whack jobs and big mouth bastards.

That there is hilarious! Blaming the Red Board for bad behavior on this one. :rolleyes2: Trust me, as one that frequents both boards, the bad behavior here lives here, spawned here and is a product of here.

The internet has the same magical property that automobiles have. Isolation and anonymity. Both the internet and cars bring out the inner ass hole in people. Add that to a lightly moderated forum where crazy political discussion is encouraged and well... what do you expect?

To the OP- Maybe now you see why the Red Board has a strict aviation only policy and is tightly moderated. If you want to live in the land of the free, you have to learn to tolerate, ignore and deal with the whack jobs and big mouth bastards.

Actually the blame is fundamental.:rofl: This board was created because AOPA shut down their board due to the bad behavior over there, and neither this board or AOPA's current red board were anything near as hostile as when it was yellow, and that was tame compared to the Rec.Aviation.*** boards on Usenet.

There just is no denying or getting around it, people are *******s.

Joined this board in 08 and just used it for info,was also on av web and AOPA. Found this board to be more informative and civil. There is a lot of good info to be found in most of the posts. Politics is just a fact of life.

Which is why I do not visit the red board anymore. Oh yay!!! another thread on how to mount an iPad, or check out my GoPro video of me flying straight and level, or see PHP errors….yawn. That place is boring, I come here to watch Jay and Doc B hammer it out. Bash one RV driver over there, and the damn AOPA brass apologizes to the entire RV community on your behalf for calling out idiotic behavior (looking at you Mitch). Because, it could have been done kinder and gentler. :rofl:

You guys have short memories. Things are pretty tame around here compared to what they have been at times in the past.

Not everything has to be political, but I think more people here are more passionate about flap deployment than they are about the latest congressional (in)action ;)

(I learned a lot on the flap over flaps thread)
Would that be flaps squared, or would it be flaps / flaps = 1

Joined this board in 08 and just used it for info,was also on av web and AOPA. Found this board to be more informative and civil. There is a lot of good info to be found in most of the posts. Politics is just a fact of life.

Exactly right. :yes:

Come for the good diverse info, stay for the political education. ;)

:lol:

That's my observation as well.

The red board's moderation of political posts doesn't seem all that tight to me.

Back