Personal Attacks

Anyone here visited the CPA board lately? Last time I was there was seven years ago, and it was totally uncivilized then. I would imagine it's worse now.

The red board's moderation of political posts doesn't seem all that tight to me.

In recent times, no. They have relaxed a bit. Lately they also will allow a popular thread to go on even if it has little to do with aviation... that is until people start locking horns and then you get the - "Locked, Non Aviation"

That there is hilarious! Blaming the Red Board for bad behavior on this one. :rolleyes2: Trust me, as one that frequents both boards, the bad behavior here lives here, spawned here and is a product of here.

Perhaps. I only offer that as a half joking possibility since I've noticed the increase in ugliness here seemed to coincide with a few new members whose joining seemed to coincide with a large exodus of AOPA membership within the last couple of years. I think my first theory is more likely to explain why there has been greater ugliness amongst long time members.

There are two distinct categories of bad behavior that R&W is referring to. One involves people who have been here a while. The other is from new people who seem to come looking for trouble. The latter are hardly 'spawned' or a 'product of' POA.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. I'm a genius and a natural born aviatrix and I just want to share it with the world. I don't know what's wrong with the rest of you. :p :D

I blame processed food. Makes people cranky...and fat.

Come for the good diverse info, stay for the political education. ;)

:lol:

And that's fine and the mods here gave you a place to obtain that political education...the spin zone. Some of us though, don't want to hear the political BS and that's why we don't go there.

I fail to see why some here try to "spin zone" every chance they get outside of the spin zone. It's boorish and childish.

When I used to block people, the first ones to be blocked were this type. And there were a lot of them.

I blame processed food. Makes people cranky...and fat.

That, and TV. Conversation is now little more than snark and zingers.

(I admit to being an occasional offender)

I fail to see why some here try to "spin zone" every chance they get outside of the spin zone. It's boorish and childish.
I agree.

I don't want access to the spin zone, and the amount of politics outside of it here is a major turn-off. Users are also apparently permitted to include (often snide) political remarks in their signatures, which means that this material appears constantly in otherwise unrelated forums.

Often I am very interested in what a poster has to say about aviation (I read a lot more than I post) but have diametrically opposed politics. If I block them to avoid that, I lose the 'good stuff' too. It's a shame.

Anyone here visited the CPA board lately? Last time I was there was seven years ago, and it was totally uncivilized then. I would imagine it's worse now.

I quit them about a year ago, not much there for us restart guys. It wasn't uncivilized for the most part. It was like playing chess by mail, you often wait 2-3 days for a response to a post if one came at all. Even signing up was a slow surly process. Still if you are a 210 owner it is a really good resource.

Some take "personal attacks" personally. Personally, I must have a personality defect, because I kind of invite and enjoy them. I just got kicked off the Rolex forum for stating Timex was higher quality than Rolex, because it is a more accurate time piece. (which it is)

One needs a thick skin to troll around here.

Some take "personal attacks" personally. Personally, I must have a personality defect, because I kind of invite and enjoy them. I just got kicked off the Rolex forum for stating Timex was higher quality than Rolex, because it is a more accurate time piece. (which it is)

You can made a solid claim that a Big Mac is higher quality than your local favourite steakhouse steak.

Actually folks, if you were required to log in with your real name, and phone number. you then would know you could be punched directly in the face for what you post here.

and this site would be a much better place because we wouldn't have anons posting BS.

Ron posts in the open, our anon FAA agent doesn't, who do you believe ?

Actually folks, if you were required to log in with your real name, and phone number. you then would know you could be punched directly in the face for what you post here.

and this site would be a much better place because we wouldn't have anons posting BS.

Are you referring to me? :dunno:

Requiring actual names helps, but is hardly a real solution. Just look at the Beech Talk forum. You still see plenty of BS, OWTs and occasional personal attacks and we all use our actual names over there.

Not really, I have my reasons for not posting my full name. I have made open where I work, and what I do.

No, you have made open what you claim with no verifiability. Not calling you out on anything, just clarifying the issue.

No, you have made open what you claim with no verifiability. Not calling you out on anything, just clarifying the issue.

Understood, and I respect that. I won't be giving my full name however. :)

The only way to verify anyone in the FAA is anything is by calling the facility he or she works for.

I'd rather avoid that attention.

I agree it's a contributor, but plenty of people post with an alias here and don't behave rudely. Anonymity is a bit like drinking - it reduces inhibitions. You already have to have the inclination.

There are perfectly understandable motivations not to use a real name on the searchable internet.

Not least for some aviation professionals, I would imagine. Henning's right that it makes verification harder, but the trade-off may be the ability to be a bit more candid about what happens "at work".

Snip

but the trade-off may be the ability to be a bit more candid about what happens "at work".

Thank you for putting it better than I could.

Had I used my identity to allow it to be verifiable, I would have to sanitize my posts to a greater degree. Sorry if that turns people off.

Who cares whether or not we use our full names? No offense to POA members but I don't know anyone here personally. You don't truly know who you're dealing with on these forums and I don't trust anyone I don't know personally.

Also we have plenty of older, retired folks who don't need to worry about getting fired for speaking their mind. Some of us are still working in the aviation industry.

Nice.

Who cares whether or not we use our full names? No offense to POA members but I don't know anyone here personally. You don't truly know who you're dealing with on these forums and I don't trust anyone I don't know personally.

Also we have plenty of older, retired folks who don't need to worry about getting fired for speaking their mind. Some of us are still working in the aviation industry.

How do you know you don't know them?

I blame it all on what I call "Argument TV" where we learned:

- Never give a direct answer to a question if your answer might show you in a bad light (or show your earlier pronouncement to be wrong)
- Talk louder.
- Obfuscate, deny, deny.
- There is no win/win. Must strive for win/lose.
- There are no civil discussions.
- Etc.

Users are also apparently permitted to include (often snide) political remarks in their signatures, which means that this material appears constantly in otherwise unrelated forums.

Amen to that.

How do you know you don't know them?

I don't know and that's a good thing. This isn't a local EAA chapter here where everyone knows each other. This forum has not only people from around the U.S. but people from around the world as well. You don't truly know what kind of person is sitting behind the keyboard.

Also for those of us who have served in the military you can never be too cautious. I've been all over the world. I might have fathered some kid in Thailand that I don't know about trying to track me down through POA. I don't need that stress. ;)

Seriously though, I don't see the problem with nick names or call signs if you will. Now, unregistered profiles and some of the questions they ask, I'm not big on that.

Last edited:
Back