Perfect gizzards

saddletramp

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
saddletramp
Lately, I've had the hankering for some chicken gizzards. While in the grocery store with my wife today i spied a large package of nice looking gizzards. I put them in the cart.

I then told my wife how I've really been wanting some gizzards & I hoped she could figure out a main dish for herself Sunday night. She said she'd figure something out. There may have been an eye-roll in there somewhere.

I usually coat the gizzards in flour, salt, & pepper & fry them in oil. I wondered if there were some tasty recipes out there.

Servings: 4-8
Ingredients:
  • 1/2lb Chicken gizzards
Steps:
  1. Slice gizzards into 1/4" pieces
  2. Partially freeze gizzard pieces. If gizzard pieces are completely frozen, partially thaw them.
  3. Thread a partially frozen gizzard piece on to a hook.
  4. Cast hooked gizzard piece into a lake stocked with catfish.
  5. Clean, gut, skin, filet and cube caught catfish. Sautee with butter and onions for 5 minutes, then add diced tomatoes and simmer for 25 minutes more.
  6. Salt and pepper to taste.

I usually coat the gizzards in flour, salt, & pepper & fry them in oil. I wondered if there were some tasty recipes out there.

If you have a pressure cooker, add a little water then let'em cook for a few minutes in the pressure cooker. It tenderizes them, then dip then in a beer/egg batter to coat them, roll them in a flour/cornmeal mix with a little Tony Chetri's cajun spice and lemon pepper thrown in. Fry them in a deep fat fryer or cast iron skillet with your favorite oil. Once fried, then chow down. I can easily eat a pound of them things in one sitting. They can be addictive. I like to dip/slather them with a good hot salsa. Thanks for the idea. I haven't made gizzards/livers in while. :cool:

Look up nigerian peppered gizzard.

Lately, I've had the hankering for some chicken gizzards. While in the grocery store with my wife today i spied a large package of nice looking gizzards. I put them in the cart.

I then told my wife how I've really been wanting some gizzards & I hoped she could figure out a main dish for herself Sunday night. She said she'd figure something out. There may have been an eye-roll in there somewhere.

I just stop by KFC and git me some! Tasty not nasty!

I make a small pan out of aluminum foil, put a thin film of vegetable oil on the bottom, salt and pepper the gizzards (and livers and hearts) and put it on the grill for about 30minutes, and turn them a few times. A little water in the pan keeps them from cooking too fast so they have time to tenderize. I think they come out perfect.

Pass on gravy and biscuits to. Guilty as charged!

Oh man, biscuits and gravy yum yum! But I ain't supposed to eat them, so I don't. Most of the time anyway. Oh hell one biscuit won't hurt will it.

If you have a pressure cooker, add a little water then let'em cook for a few minutes in the pressure cooker. It tenderizes them, then dip then in a beer/egg batter to coat them, roll them in a flour/cornmeal mix with a little Tony Chetri's cajun spice and lemon pepper thrown in. Fry them in a deep fat fryer or cast iron skillet with your favorite oil. Once fried, then chow down. I can easily eat a pound of them things in one sitting. They can be addictive. I like to dip/slather them with a good hot salsa. Thanks for the idea. I haven't made gizzards/livers in while. :cool:

Tony Chachere's?

It's never occurred to me to actually eat a gizzard, let alone have a craving for one.

To me it's like eating chicken feet. Foster Farms actually fills shipping containers full of frozen chicken feet and ships them to China. Seriously.

To me it's like eating chicken feet. Foster Farms actually fills shipping containers full of frozen chicken feet and ships them to China. Seriously.

And to my wife. She always wants the parts of the chicken and pig that are thrown away.

The first time I had gizzards I was at some party. Maybe everybody was drunk. Someone sauteed them in butter and served them over pasta. It was horrible. Other than that the only time I've had them is very finely diced along with heart and used in homemade turkey gravy. That way I love them.

What about frog legs? Taste like chicken. ;):)

As a guy who loves haggis, I gotta say that eating chicken gizzards on purpose is pretty gross.

The perfect gizzard is still walking around the yard inside the chicken. Otherwise, put it in the trash with the pther parts you dont want--head, feathers, the other stomachs . . . .

I'm telling y'all they good! KFC's aren't bad either. Can't eat just one either!

I've eaten frogs in Vietnam. They like to barbecue them. Whole. Can't say I like them, but I'll eat them.

I've had the legs, pretty good. Don't think the rest of the frog would be very appealing though. Of course who knows WTF I ate in Korea, especially when we were drunk as skunks.

Speaking of dishes forgotten, I used to have the best schnitzel in Germany when I was there for two years. Decided to try making my own. Damn delicious! Only thing missing is mushrooms in the brown gravy.

ZOI34es.jpg

Speaking of dishes forgotten, I used to have the best schnitzel in Germany when I was there for two years. Decided to try making my own. Damn delicious! Only thing missing is mushrooms in the brown gravy.

ZOI34es.jpg

Stationed there too. We were cruising around one Sat or Sun, out in the countryside, and decoded to stop at this gusthaus for a bite. I ordered schnitzel, smothered in gravy and mushrooms, OMG, best I ever had. That was 47 years ago and I can still taste how delicious it was.

ZOI34es.jpg

Now you're talking real food. I miss the schnitzel too. I was there for two years as well.

ZOI34es.jpg

That looks delicious. Is that like chicken fried steak?

Mine got a bit crispier than i remember even on medium heat. I remember the ones we used to get at this place called "the schnitzel factory" or something. Larger than dinner plate schnitzel with delicious Spaetzle on the side. My parents had to split one. Also you always had to ask for tap water or else you get mineralwasser!

Back