Perfect gizzards

1. Leave them out in room temperature for 4 hours until nicely smelly.
2. Bait hook.
3. Cast bait.
4. Catch a mess of catfish.
5. Trade catfish for a good steak.
6. Cook steak to your preference.

Enjoy!

1. Leave them out in room temperature for 4 hours until nicely smelly.
2. Bait hook.
3. Cast bait.
4. Catch a mess of catfish.
5. Trade catfish for a good steak.
6. Cook steak to your preference.

Enjoy!

Post 2 was funnier. Mostly due to being first.

Eeeewwww! Gizzards are gross!

If you must have mystery meat, well...

images.jpg

I've eaten frogs in Vietnam. They like to barbecue them. Whole. Can't say I like them, but I'll eat them.
You almost certainly know thy have whole frogs in China too. Can't say I like them either, but have eaten it. Be easier to eat if they didn't chop it into tiny pieces including the bone.

Tony Chachere's?

Yeah that... I use it on everything. :cool:

cajunspice.jpg

Ya gotta get out more I tell ya Sac! ;)

Heaven forbid I should let the "City Boyz" here know what these are. I use to eat these straight from the source. Throw them in a bucket of water, rinse them off, fry them up on the brander, then cut'em open with a pocket knife and enjoy. :thumbsup:

cowboycaviar.jpg

My ma used to make those things. She was a horrid cook, so whatever she did must have been awful. They’re tough muscle, you could probably get the same texture out of cardiac muscle or intestine. I thought gizzards were gross long before I stopped eating fowl altogether.

Foster Farms actually fills shipping containers full of frozen chicken feet and ships them to China.
And Oakland, apparently. I've had really good ones and not-so-good ones - spice makes all the difference to me. And yes, that means I've had them more than once. :eek:

Nauga,
tastes like chicken...feet

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that people that enjoy gizzards also enjoy artichokes. I'm sure the spice and meat is tasty but look at all that bone. Same with an artichoke. A lot of work for little return.

You almost certainly know thy have whole frogs in China too. Can't say I like them either, but have eaten it. Be easier to eat if they didn't chop it into tiny pieces including the bone.

That's how the Vietnamese cook their chickens too. And their chickens are scrawny. They chop them up in to small pieces, including the bone, and you get the whole thing, beaks included.

Again, the spices make it tasty but there is like no meat. It's like wings, but the whole chicken. It's one of those things you eat with the client while drinking beer.

That's how the Vietnamese cook their chickens too. And their chickens are scrawny. They chop them up in to small pieces, including the bone, and you get the whole thing, beaks included.

Again, the spices make it tasty but there is like no meat. It's like wings, but the whole chicken. It's one of those things you eat with the client while drinking beer.

You mean - it's one of those things you move around the plate trying to make it look like you're eating it, with the client, while drinking beer?

You mean - it's one of those things you move around the plate trying to make it look like you're eating it, with the client, while drinking beer?

Drink enough beer, and you genuinely enjoy it. Same with the massive lobster sized prawns where they eat the whole entire thing, including the heads. Now, these days, that's my favorite part.

As to the whole frog, I had a friend from the US doing some business development in a northern province in China. He said they brought out a tray of whole cooked frogs arranged in a pyramid. He and his traveling colleague looked at the host who then laughed and proceeded to show him how to eat em. Grab it and take a bite out of the belly to start (just like an apple). Guts included.

As to the whole frog, I had a friend from the US doing some business development in a northern province in China. He said they brought out a tray of whole cooked frogs arranged in a pyramid. He and his traveling colleague looked at the host who then laughed and proceeded to show him how to eat em. Grab it and take a bite out of the belly to start (just like an apple). Guts included.
The ones I had were chopped into small pieces, they were "gutted" before cooking. I didn't see any head pieces in the mix. Grab a piece with chopsticks, eat the meat, discard the bones. Some pieces were much more bone than anything else.

The Schnitzel. I prefer pork but you can use other meats:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/pork-schnitzel-recipe-2013974

The side dish: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spätzle

I dont have the equipment to make my own so I bought it boxed. Still pretty good!
Schitzel is normally made with pork. But you can substitute chicken if you know how to do it right.
No, not like chicken fried steak. A Schnitzel actually tastes good.

Btw, Overdrive, what you bought and ate was not real Spätzle but only Knöpfle. Spätzle are long and skinny. You can buy the gerät for it at most decent grocery stores for around $8. Easy to make and tastes yummy and fresh.

If you come down to Austin sometime, I can cook you a real Schnitzel with a real side. (nobody in Germany or Austria would dare to serve a Schnitzel with Spätzle, LOL, or god forbid rice! :eek: )

Man, you made me hungry. Now you've done it!!
(just no haggis, gizzards or other inbred redneck stuff for me, please)

Schitzel is normally made with pork. But you can substitute chicken if you know how to do it right.

Depending on where in the german speaking world you are, Schnitzel is either veal or pork.

Depending on where in the german speaking world you are, Schnitzel is either veal or pork.
True dat...and it’s best as cordon bleu but don’t tell the dummkopfs that or I won’t get my share.

Btw, Overdrive, what you bought and ate was not real Spätzle but only Knöpfle. Spätzle are long and skinny. You can buy the gerät for it at most decent grocery stores for around $8. Easy to make and tastes yummy and fresh.

A machine ??

This is how you make Spätzle, and that's the law !

640px-Spaetzleschaben_a2_21.10.2011_19-51-33.jpg

If you come down to Austin sometime, I can cook you a real Schnitzel with a real side. (nobody in Germany or Austria would dare to serve a Schnitzel with Spätzle, LOL, or god forbid rice! :eek: )

Rice would be a faux-pas, but Spätzle are a common starch to go with Schnitzel anywhere in swabia.

Schnitzel is both good and easy to make. Pound out a pork chop (or veal chop), dredge in eggs and bread crumbs, pan fry until deliciousness is achieved! There'll be some of that here next week, I cut 16 chops from a tenderloin to feed the 7 of us. :cheers:

I started to read this thread, then puked on my key board.

A machine ??

Rice would be a faux-pas, but Spätzle are a common starch to go with Schnitzel anywhere in swabia.

That's how my german wife (american born) makes them. It's a lot of work.

I enjoy then with schnitzel after a good day of soaring.

Gizzards are like the rubbery friends of Rocky Mtn Oysters because people over-cook them a bit. But both are delicious.

You have a fine plan there for the only recipe needed. Just fry them.

The fresher the gizzards, or Rocky Mtn Oysters for that matter, the better.

Cutting day on the pig farm, or whatever you want to call it... it didn’t have a name when we did it, it was just the rubber band and sharp implements day... made for a lovely afternoon “oyster” fry over at the farmhouse.

Usually they never had any reason to slaughter enough chickens to have a big gizzard fry, so if they had slaughtered a chicken, the farmer I worked for usually beat us all to the gizzard.

If he was away at chicken eating time, none of his family would eat them so one of us hired hands would get it. I usually left it for my granddad.

Fresh chicken, butchered a couple hours ago and fried? We didn’t get too fussy about which pieces we got. That’s just good eats. Unless it was a stringy old rooster. Those got made into soup, usually.

A machine ??

Must be state law! :D
Down here, we don't have time for hand cutting them, I can make a whole batch for 4 people with one squeeze. :)

Well, Schwaben are the deep south of Deutschland. And we all know what everybody thinks of the deep south. ;) Dang Ai-talians. :)
Where I come from, a waiter would lose his job (and arms) if he served a Schnitzel with pasta.
That is an absolute abomination, kind of like serving goulash with .... um... with ... gah ... I can't even say it ... with ... with ... rice. Yikes! One could lose a life for that.

Dang, now you've made me hungry again. Nice going! :D

Man, you made me hungry. Now you've done it!!
(just no haggis, gizzards or other inbred redneck stuff for me, please)
I had no idea! The stuff I often had in Germany was different, smaller and rounder than these. The box did indeed say Spätzle!

And the default side that came with said Schnitzel was Spätzle! Otherwise I may have never known about it. I looked for a tool to make it but found only overpriced ones on Amazon for $30-50.

Note to self: Plan trip to Austin.

A machine ??

Rice would indeed be terrible. How does the board work? Just roll it off the edge or flatten the dough and push it off into the boiling water?

Nauga,
who turned himself into a pickle

Vher iz dis "pyickle"?

Back