Perfect Girlfriend...

Not at all. A girlfriend that loves planes and loves to fly...who, on this board, wouldn't want one of those?
HAHA so is it secretly jealousy? Please...I'm not that great and theres tons of girls out there that fly. I go to school with about 5 of them, one might even be my instructor.

Last edited:
Not if you're going to be an instructor which I should be in a few years. ;)

1983? ****.. That's old!!

July 21st 1987.

The Diamond I fly is N283DC ... JA is of course Jesse Angell.

Good lord, I was a recent COLLEGE grad when you were born.

Jim goes off, muttering something to himself about metamucil...

LOL!

Jim G

Not if you're going to be an instructor which I should be in a few years. ;)

You think just because you'll be an instructor, Jesse will listen to you? You obviously haven't read all of the threads he's participated in ;)

(I kid, I kid...)

Both the Timex Sinclair and the C-64 came out in 1982. My Vic-20 on the other hand came out in 1980.

Shoot, I think our Trash 80 was old by then. Dad never did bring home the PDP-12 from the hospital, we'd have to go in for that one.

You think just because you'll be an instructor, Jesse will listen to you? You obviously haven't read all of the threads he's participated in ;)

(I kid, I kid...)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Although she will have some extra leverage....

I never said he was gonna listen, I just said I could log time. I know better than that, LOL

Both the Timex Sinclair and the C-64 came out in 1982. My Vic-20 on the other hand came out in 1980.

Yeah. I should revise. My first was a VIC-20, so it was 1980 or Jesse -7.

I didn't consider a device where a serial port was an extra $50 to be a PC. :p

My first computer (mine, that is, not the first I used) was an Atari 800, which we got in, hmm, Jesse -5? 1982 I think. I was in 7th or 8th grade, maybe 9th...

jeesh i dont think we got our first computer until about 1994.

My first computer (mine, that is, not the first I used)

My first computer was the Apple II+, maxed out with 64k RAM, bought circa 1978. We added the fortran and pascal compilers as well. :dunno:

At the time, it was the bomb, or so we thought. I was 16 years old at the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_IIe

Last edited:
My cousin had the ][e. Nice machine! :)

Speaking of pimping out computers tho - my next computer was an Atari 120 XE (the grey one, I think it was XE).

It had 128K of RAM, and I got hold of some chips and instructions and a soldering iron and, lets see I must have been 16 or 17, and I physically soldered the chips in and upgraded the computer to a whopping TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY SIX K!!! And it *WORKED*. I was so geeked out it wasn't funny...

The first computer I bought was a TI-99A in 1983 but I had access prior to that to some pretty sweet computers, a IBM 360 and a DEC VAX-11. Boy I miss VAX/VMS. Shortly after that I had access to a micro-VAX, several HP-1000A (or 21MXs) and our lab had a Cray XMP that networked with several other Crays when we needed extra computing power. But in 1986 that all changed and I then had access to a IBM PC with a 286 uP, what a change moving into the private sector.

Upon reflection of this thread, you know, there's a certain sadness that, following a discussion of perfect girlfriends, we end up talking about computers.

I mean, shouldn't it be planes???

That's because we already know most planes are older than Jesse.

What's amusing is the date scheme: Jesse -5. Will we start using 5BJ for listing years?

Upon reflection of this thread, you know, there's a certain sadness that, following a discussion of perfect girlfriends, we end up talking about computers.

No, we should be talking about old girlfriends ;)

Ya but we got computers, girlfriends and planes are usually in shorter supply.

Good lord, I was a recent COLLEGE grad when you were born.

Jim goes off, muttering something to himself about metamucil...

LOL!

Jim G

Aw, heck. My youngest kid will hit 27 before he hits 20. And I'd been out of college for 12 years when he (Jesse) was born.

Computers older? You betcha. Commodore 64 (serial number in the 30,000 range, purchased in November 1982) and an Apple IIe, both in boxes out in the garage, and both probably work. I've even got an XT clone that works that's older than he is.

Oh, and Scott, I miss VAX/VMS too. I lived on an 11/780 back in the early 1980s. I don't miss IBM JCL on a System 360 Model 67, however. Nor do I miss NOS on a CDC Cyber 176.

And, old girlfriends? I don't have any. I married my high school sweetheart. It'll be 34 years the end of July.

ah... VMS ... loved it... DCL was so friendly over other JCLs ... when the Unix weenies (hmmm, I guess I R 1 now 2) would complain about "how do you do xxx in VMS" my response was usually "just like that... talk to VMS like you talk to me. If you really miss the cryptic commands, most of them will abbreviate nicely to 2 or 3 letters ..."

A girlfriend that loves planes and loves to fly...who, on this board, wouldn't want one of those?

I used to have one of those girls. Kicking myself in the butt for letting her go too!! :(

I used to have one of those girls. Kicking myself in the butt for letting her go too!! :(

I had one to, a CFI-R with her own R-22 even. Woke up once at 0300 and she was sharpening a knife...in bed. It was time to go. I have the weirdest luck with women. I always say God keeps me around for the entertainment value....

Aw, heck. My youngest kid will hit 27 before he hits 20. And I'd been out of college for 12 years when he (Jesse) was born.

Computers older? You betcha. Commodore 64 (serial number in the 30,000 range, purchased in November 1982) and an Apple IIe, both in boxes out in the garage, and both probably work. I've even got an XT clone that works that's older than he is.

Oh, and Scott, I miss VAX/VMS too. I lived on an 11/780 back in the early 1980s. I don't miss IBM JCL on a System 360 Model 67, however. Nor do I miss NOS on a CDC Cyber 176.

And, old girlfriends? I don't have any. I married my high school sweetheart. It'll be 34 years the end of July.

Ha ha! I'm with you! My youngest will be 40 before he's 24. Almost old enough to be his parents.

And for computers I had a 16 color computer, back in 1979....
The TI 99/4 .
Most were monochrome then, (puke) green, if I remember, or you had (Ugly) Orange as an alternative.

You hooked The TI 99/4 up to the color TV, and used a cassette tape recorder to save computer "scratching's" (the hash you can hear when computers communicate) which were what you programmed. Had fun programming "Sprites", into "4th of July type" on screen explosions.
I did one of the first "Duck Shoot's", using an idea from "PONG!"

And an XT clone?? Would have sold my ..... well you know,
for one of those "POWERFUL" suckers....:rofl:

Ahhh! The good 'ol daze.....B)

Had use of a military IBM 360/366(?) I think, way back in 1964.... It's been so long ago, I forget.

Old girlfriends? No more.... Like the wife, they've passed away too. :(

Yeah, I'm ancient... compared to you guys.:D :D :yes:

(Was it said?)
Hey Dad, I'm not gonna rewax my feathers for tomorrows flight, we're staying in the Pattern!

....................................................................................................Icarus

I had one to, a CFI-R with her own R-22 even. Woke up once at 0300 and she was sharpening a knife...in bed. It was time to go. I have the weirdest luck with women. I always say God keeps me around for the entertainment value....

:eek: Henning, just what did you do next?

Yep no fond memories of the IBM 360 but plenty of the DEC products and VAX/VMS. My microVax was so cool when I got it and when I went to an IBM PC that was just the pits and it took quit a few years before the PC were anywhere near capable of what DEC had been offering circa 1984.

As for old girlfriends, there are a few that I look back fondly on our time together and one that I am glad I escaped alive from.

I cannot believe you guys are giving Jesse and Tristan so much crap. Even though they both still have to shop in the "juniors" section for clothes...it's still not right! :) LOL

The first computer I bought was a TI-99A

Me too; TI-99/4A. (; (that link goes to a great site for old computers).

I taught myself to program on that thing, Grandpa gave it to me when he upgraded to a Commodore Amiga with 8" floppies in an expansion cabinet.

I hooked the TI up to a black and white TV with a modulator, and saved my programs to a cassette deck. Would have given my right arm for an Extended Basic cartridge so I could do sprites in the games I wrote, but never did get one.

You could go really crazy with expansion units daisy chained off the right-side port if you wanted. Gotta love the modem on the end! :)

Ti994_long.jpg

Oh, no, I did NOT just find this link: http://www.99er.net/win994a.shtml

http://www.old-computers.com is also a fun browse.

Damn Henning. You need to "pre-screen" them a little better.

Back