Penn State Child Sex Abuse Scandal

Yet probably a better deal than whatever happened to that hypothetical 20 year old inmate's victim.

So why is the Supermax concept crazy?

Because anyone that needs Supermax housing should be euthanized.

Yet probably a better deal than whatever happened to that hypothetical 20 year old inmate's victim.

So why is the Supermax concept crazy?

I'm not saying give anyone a pass or make it easy, but if someone is SO bad that they can't be put in a "normal" maximum security prison. Then perhaps putting them down is a better answer than locking them in a little cage and watching them get even crazier.

It cost $62K per year, per inmate, in a supermax prison. Take that over a life time, plus inflation, plus raising health care cost, plus, plus. Why? It's not like any of these people are going to be rehabilitated and be productive even by prison standards. What's the goal?

I would rather see every prison converted to HARD labor camps, 12 hours a day 6 days a week. Prisons should be required to be self supporting. Let them give a little back to society vs. continuing to be a burden.

There are multiple prisons at the Cañon City facility, including SuperMax.

Wiley businesspeople are making a fortune "rehabilitating" inmates, using them for almost free labor.

There's a pile of businesses, including fish farming, amongst other things. Buy a Tilapia fillet at Whole Foods in Colorado, it came from inmate-run fish farming.

The fish farmer in the private sector they put out of business has tried to blow the whistle. He's not donating enough to his politicians, apparently. And the inmate labor company, definitely is.

Most incarcerated people in the so-called Free World. Guess the businesspeople have finally figured out how to hire employees that can't leave.

Anyway, point is... Maybe Sandusky can raise some fish. Coming soon to a prisoner transport bus leaving the prison, near you.

Ok, but without the context it makes a poor quote, actually, it was poorly phrased out of his mouth. 'If that's the culture on the bottom, God save us from the culture at the top.' would have been much more concise in intent.
As quoted out of context it sounds as if the bottom is screwing the top.

Good point but if you had heard him say it then it'd be perfectly clear. Another case of verbal communication not coming across as well in writing.

Not a good day for Penn State. The report was pretty damning from top to bottom. No one was innocent, especially not Joe, as some here so hoped.

Good point but if you had heard him say it then it'd be perfectly clear. Another case of verbal communication not coming across as well in writing.

Not a good day for Penn State. The report was pretty damning from top to bottom. No one was innocent, especially not Joe, as some here so hoped.

The entire athletic department should be shut down. There is no other punishment or redemption that can work. Penn State chose football over the lives of little boys for 15 years. They allowed, knowingly and did nothing to stop little boys from being sacrificed and fed to a child molester to be raped and made to perform oral sex on a grown man. They knew it and did nothing to stop it to protect them selves and the Penn State name.

POA members in this thread supported Paterno & PennState early on. They have been curiously silent the last few weeks. :dunno: Where is the support now that all the facts are out?

Shame on Penn State. :nono:

Last edited:
Ok, but without the context it makes a poor quote, actually, it was poorly phrased out of his mouth. 'If that's the culture on the bottom, God save us from the culture at the top.' would have been much more concise in intent.
As quoted out of context it sounds as if the bottom is screwing the top.
Earlier today you said that you believe 80% of people are stupid. If it is only 80%, why do you insist on talking down to 98% of us?

You are the most conceited, arrogant.........

Guilty, I'm also a hell of a lot of fun and haven't gotten anyone killed at it yet. Most people just accept me for who I am and realize that a 174 IQ usually comes with personality defects.

The entire athletic department should be shut down. There is no other punishment or redemption that can work.

Thankfully, I have no ties to PSU.

That said, I disagree with you. A handful of individuals covered this thing up. One of them is already deceased. One has been convicted and will get his just rewards. The others have already had their reputations ruined, and will be sued into oblivion and possibly tried (and convicted) in criminal court. The school, its athletic programs, and its alums have taken a terrible hit to their reputations, pride, etc. due to the acts of Sandusky and his enablers.

I don't see how shutting down the athletic program is appropriate given that it was a few individuals who were responsible for this. The fans, the team (save a few coaches), etc. had nothing to do with this. I don't see how punishing them for something they didn't do is justified.

On the other hand, if I was a PSU alum, I'd be pounding on the doors, DEMANDING that they shut the football program down and take a wrecking ball to the stadium.

Regardless, nothing makes up for what happened to those kids. That is just sickening and that it went on for so long is unimaginable.

That said, I disagree with you. A handful of individuals covered this thing up. One of them is already deceased. One has been convicted and will get his just rewards. The others have already had their reputations ruined, and will be sued into oblivion and possibly tried (and convicted) in criminal court. The school, its athletic programs, and its alums have taken a terrible hit to their reputations, pride, etc. due to the acts of Sandusky and his enablers.

I don't see how shutting down the athletic program is appropriate given that it was a few individuals who were responsible for this. The fans, the team (save a few coaches), etc. had nothing to do with this. I don't see how punishing them for something they didn't do is justified.

On the other hand, if I was a PSU alum, I'd be pounding on the doors, DEMANDING that they shut the football program down and take a wrecking ball to the stadium.

Regardless, nothing makes up for what happened to those kids. That is just sickening and that it went on for so long is unimaginable.

You know what, you're right, they shouldn't shut down. They should take all the proceeds from their football program for the next 20 years and divvy it up to the kids in an annual check.

You know what, you're right, they shouldn't shut down. They should take all the proceeds from their football program for the next 20 years and divvy it up to the kids in an annual check.

By the time the settlements are done, that sounds about right.

The athletic department and the school are going to lose hundreds of millions of dollars on this one - both have responsibility and there were a bunch of victims. I suspect more will turn up.

The school and athletic department can fight the suits and get pulled through the wringers in a series of civil trials (and get killed both financially and in the court of public opinion) or they can settle out of court and take the financial beating without the spectre of more public humiliation. I suspect they will settle out of court and it will be VERY expensive.

By the time the settlements are done, that sounds about right.

The athletic department and the school are going to lose hundreds of millions of dollars on this one - both have responsibility and there were a bunch of victims. I suspect more will turn up.

The school and athletic department can fight the suits and get pulled through the wringers in a series of civil trials (and get killed both financially and in the court of public opinion) or they can settle out of court and take the financial beating without the spectre of more public humiliation. I suspect they will settle out of court and it will be VERY expensive.

Yep, I suspect if they went that route they'd go out of business due to lack of enrollment, I couldn't imagine a parent letting a kid go there if they did that.

I went to Penn State for one year before I transferred. I hated that place; part of the reason was (it seemed to me) that most students thought Penn State was the greatest. I mentioned to one "friend" how unhappy I was and how much I disliked Penn State, and he said he would beat me up if I wasn't a girl. Glad I transferred.

When Southern Miss had NCAA recruiting violations they were given the death penalty and their football program was shut down for one year. Recruiting violations. The Penn State football program allowed children to be raped in the locker room showers for 15 years. And you think this is less of a crime than recruiting violations? :dunno:

Guilty, I'm also a hell of a lot of fun and haven't gotten anyone killed at it yet. Most people just accept me for who I am and realize that a 174 IQ usually comes with personality defects.
I'm impressed. No. Not really. You see, I'm on the right side of the bell curve, too. I've never taken an IQ test, because I never saw the reason. I know I'm intelligent, so why does it matter? The only reason to quantify it would be to brag. Not interested. The only test I've taken that could tell the average person my intelligence level (and it was 27 years ago) was the ASVAB. I don't remember what the raw scores were, but I scored in the 99th percentile in all but two categories. So what?

In college, I graduated with a 3.98. Why? Well, in my first college class, taken at age 34, I had some pretty lousy study habits, and the teacher talked as much about flying helicopters in Viet Nam and working in IT at the IRS, as he did about Windows Server Administration. In one other class, literature, I got a B because I found one of the stories that we were to read quite offensive, and refused to finish it.

The difference between us is that you use intelligence and "personality defects" as an excuse not to try to be nice to people, and I see it as an obstacle to overcome. Oh, yeah, I've got my own "personality defects", and have trouble communicating my thoughts well at times or in certain situations - ask Captain. But I try to overcome them, with varied levels of success, and apologize when I'm wrong. You're just mean. There's no excuse for that.

Last edited:
When Southern Miss had NCAA recruiting violations they were given the death penalty and their football program was shut down for one year. Recruiting violations. The Penn State football program allowed children to be raped in the locker room showers for 15 years. And you think this is less of a crime than recruiting violations? :dunno:

:yeahthat: excellent point.

But follow the money.

Football, be it at Penn State, the NFL, or at any high school across America (but especially TX), is simply a mirror reflecting our culture's ugly underbelly.

It'll be quite interesting to see if the NCAA hands out any sanctions. My money says they don't and that would be quite telling.

Last edited:
:yeahthat: excellent point.

But follow the money.

Football, be it at Penn State, the NFL, or at any high school across America (but especially TX), is simply a mirror reflecting our culture's ugly underbelly.

It'll be quite interesting to see if the NCAA hands out any sanctions. My money says they don't and that would be quite telling.

Only if we put enough pressure on politicians and the NCAA will they impose sanctions, but I fear you are dead right Tim. Look at the reaction of this country, Penn State Board of Directors, alum. It's all about money, football, the image of PSU, .... and very little to do for the victims. A very sad commentary on our society today.

I
The difference between us is that you use intelligence and "personality defects" as an excuse not to try to be nice to people, and I see it as an obstacle to overcome. Oh, yeah, I've got my own "personality defects", and have trouble communicating my thoughts well at times or in certain situations - ask Captain. But I try to overcome them, with varied levels of success, and apologize when I'm wrong. You're just mean. There's no excuse for that.

I don't make excuses, never have, mean is as much a part of human nature as anything. If you think I'm mean, you don't know anything about me lol.

Only if we put enough pressure on politicians and the NCAA will they impose sanctions, but I fear you are dead right Tim. Look at the reaction of this country, Penn State Board of Directors, alum. It's all about money, football, the image of PSU, .... and very little to do for the victims. A very sad commentary on our society today.

Just as a point of reference I used to work with a Penn Alum. She spent every weekend during the season meeting up with many other Penn Alums and watching, talking, about Penn Football. They would all go to a certain bar owned by an alum. They gave money, knew every little thing about the team, took vacation time to do things for the program, etc. You would have thought they were still in college, not 15 years removed. Anyway, all this was happening in.... DALLAS.

So I agree Penn football is defining the lives of a lot of people and they won't want to let this change it. I see it in my neighborhood with everyone in their 50's flying their college flags on the outside of their house.

Just as a point of reference I used to work with a Penn Alum. She spent every weekend during the season meeting up with many other Penn Alums and watching, talking, about Penn Football. They would all go to a certain bar owned by an alum. They gave money, knew every little thing about the team, took vacation time to do things for the program, etc. You would have thought they were still in college, not 15 years removed. Anyway, all this was happening in.... DALLAS.

So I agree Penn football is defining the lives of a lot of people and they won't want to let this change it. I see it in my neighborhood with everyone in their 50's flying their college flags on the outside of their house.

That kind of blind devotion is why I hated Penn State.

That kind of blind devotion is why I hated Penn State.
It's that kind of blind devotion that allowed sandusky to carry on for 15 years. It's shameful that management was more concerned with the school's reputation than what was going on. For this, they all should be held criminally liable and be sitting next to jerry.

I think the issue is how best to punish the perp, and people that knew about it while sparing the innocent students, and players. The individuals that knew about this need to feel the pain, and it needs to be harsh enough to dissuade similar activity here and elsewhere.

This is the type of thing that happens when sports are placed above everything else.

High schools revolve around sports, colleges revolve around sports and it turns people into complete douchebags.

Nothing more annoying than a group of phucksticks yelling and screaming at a game on TV , while you are trying to enjoy a steak and beer at a local pub.

I think the issue is how best to punish the perp, and people that knew about it while sparing the innocent students, and players. The individuals that knew about this need to feel the pain, and it needs to be harsh enough to dissuade similar activity here and elsewhere.

Give everyone who knew 5 years for Accessory.

This is the type of thing that happens when sports are placed above everything else.

High schools revolve around sports, colleges revolve around sports and it turns people into complete douchebags.

Nothing more annoying than a group of phucksticks yelling and screaming at a game on TV , while you are trying to enjoy a steak and beer at a local pub.

I enjoy playing most sports, good recreation, good exercise. Watching sports on TV is excruciatingly boring to me, Cricket being the all time worst.

This incident is under the jurusdiction of the courts, not the NCAA, unless the NCAA has magically created its own civil and criminal court system without telling anyone.

As to your last assertion. 100%, unadulterated assclownery.

This incident is under the jurusdiction of the courts, not the NCAA, unless the NCAA has magically created its own civil and criminal court system without telling anyone.

Wrong on both counts.

Count I -The NCAA has jurisdiction over any NCAA school. Period. It has a catch all ethics clause that clearly states the ethical failure of the athletic staff can be cause for investigation. If they want to investigate they have every right and the opportunity to do so. Time will tell if they will.

Count II - Joe Paterno knowingly, after being informed of the 1998 incident in which Sandusky was investigated for child sexual abuse based on what a janitor saw in the shower, closely following the investigation, allowed Sandusky to continue to bring little boys onto campus, to the football games home AND away traveling with the team, and allowed him to bring boys into the showers to be raped. You are the only clown for not seeing what is right before your eyes, in print, in the report created by a former FBI director at the request of Penn State. Geez Kyle, do you really think Paterno did not know? Against what everyone is saying including what Paterno said before he died?

Read the damn report before you go making moronic statements defending a pedifile and the institution that allowed the systematic molestation of little boys.

Last edited:
Read the damn report before you go making moronic statements defending a pedifile and the institution that allowed the systematic molestation of little boys.

Larry, you're off your rocker. Maybe exposure to 100LL is bad for you after all. I've never defended, nor would I defend, any of the people responsible in the Penn State case.

Larry, you're off your rocker. Maybe exposure to 100LL is bad for you after all. I've never defended, nor would I defend, any of the people responsible in the Penn State case.

Interesting when you make assertions and lose the argument you react by name calling. No comment on the NCAA having jurisdiction? Pitiful logic and understanding of the NCAA's power and authority.

At least I have an excuse, ;) your reading comprehension and grasp of the facts fails every test of reason, must be genetic:dunno:. Facts submitted as evidence in the report. Read it, then get back to me. ;) Joe Paterno is responsible for, and allowed boys to be raped at Penn state. You can sugar coat it all you want Kyle, but that is what is stated as fact in the report. Is it your assertion the former director of the FBI lied? Joe Paterno knew kids were being molested and did nothing. Period. Deal with it.

Last edited:
You can sugar coat it all you want Kyle, but that is what is stated as fact in the report. Is it your assertion the former director of the FBI lied?

Larry, you've missed something badly. Very badly.

I've never defended or sugar coated any of the acts committed by Paterno or others in this case. If you can show otherwise, please do so. This is your big chance.

Also, what is with your "Is it your assertion..." line? That's a rude, uncivil thing to inject into a discussion. You've done it twice, and both times it made no sense in the context of what I had written.

This is your first post assessing my position as "assclownery". This is civil talk?

Larry, you've missed something badly. Very badly.

I've never defended or sugar coated any of the acts committed by Paterno or others in this case. If you can show otherwise, please do so. This is your big chance.
Also, what is with your "Is it your assertion..." line? That's a rude, uncivil thing to inject into a discussion. You've done it twice, and both times it made no sense in the context of what I had written.

Have you read the report yet or do you just rely on sound bites from talking heads on Comedy Central and the Late Show?

You attacked my position and I defended myself. You lost both points of your argument. The NCAA has jurisdiction over this issue if they chose to deal with it. You lost that argument to not knowing the facts. By calling the facts I wrote about Paterno "assclownery" you, by default are defending Paterno and calling the report false.

Last edited:
You attacked my position and I defended myself. You lost both points of your argument. The NCAA has jurisdiction over this issue if they chose to deal with it. You lost that argument to not knowing the facts. By calling the facts I wrote about Paterno "assclownery" you, by default are defending Paterno and calling the report false.

I disagreed with your position in a polite manner and offered my point of view. You lost your mind, and the remainder of the thread shows that.

The assclownery comment was a follow up to one of your strawmen "So your position is...", which was patently false. If you want to make up strawmen, and assign those positions to someone, then argue against that person based on the position you assigned to them, wouldn't it be better to just create a second account so you can argue with yourself?

Back