Penn State Child Sex Abuse Scandal

The PA mandated reporter law is pretty poorly written in my opinion. From a strict reading of it, Paterno had NO LEGAL OBLIGATION to report this to the police (in fact, nobody has to report it. There are two reasons for this. First off, the child wasn't in Paterno's care or being dealt with in his employed capacity. Second, the mandated report is to be made to the "... person in charge of the institution, school facility or agency..."

That is why he wasn't charged criminally.

Even the two lying weasel administrators may be able to get off the hook with that legalese argument. In 2002, Sandusky was not in their employ and neither did the kids 'come before them' or wer even part of any formal penn state program.

Do you think that makes any of this right ?

Frankly, in my opinion Paterno is the victim of a witch hunt and being thrown under the bus by the institution he served for over half a century rather than even being allowed to fade away with dignity.

A question in my mind is why didn't Paterno fire the guy who was engaging in child abuse?

I do think that the people Paterno reported it to who failed to handle it are just as deserving of firing or disciplinary action as he was, and perhaps more so.

I'm not talking legalities here; I'm talking about right and wrong.

do you believe Paterno had a moral obligation to do more for the kids?

Like what? Perhaps he should have made sure that the University followed through (and fulfilled their legal obligation) but why would he have to believe that the university administration is corrupt and not carry through on the investigation? The last time this was reported to the police and DPW they decided that the shower act was not a prosecutable offense. There seems to be some controversy as to what McQuery actually told him.

This is a pretty serious matter if the statements were true and a pretty serious allegation to make if it isn't. Frankly, I would have tempted to toe the official procedure (but I'd probably follow up on the matter).

This morning I saw a blurb to the effect that an as-yet-unidentified friend of the graduate assistant who witnessed the event has come forward with an email from the assistant stating that he caused the assault to be discontinued and subsequently notified the head of the PSU campus police. If so, will that be a game-changer?

This morning I saw a blurb to the effect that an as-yet-unidentified friend of the graduate assistant who witnessed the event has come forward with an email from the assistant stating that he caused the assault to be discontinued and subsequently notified the head of the PSU campus police. If so, will that be a game-changer?

Yes, it would mean McQuery lied to the grand jury. There is no police report to support the claim he called them. He is simply lying to his friend because of his inexuseable behavior.

Last edited:
Maybe he lied, maybe he didn't. Are you sure? What was the specific question, and what was his response?

The email didn't say he filed a report, it says he notified the head of the department. Is it possible to notify the police without filing a report? How do the police handle such matters? Are you sure?

Is is possible that a case of sexual abuse of a child can be lost, ignored, forgotten or buried in a stack of paperwork at a police department? If you're sure it can't happen, take a look at today's DFW TV news websites regarding a case in McKinney, TX that occurred more than a year ago.

I'm impressed with your confidence that you have all the answers before the evidence has been presented and testimony has been heard. At what point prior to the verdict being announced did you conclude that O. J. was innocent? What information did you use to formulate that conclusion?

Yes, it would mean McQuery lied to the grand jury. There is no police report to support the claim he called them. He is simply lying to his friend because of his inexuseable behavior.

The graduate student was the younger McQueary. He was a graduate assistant at the time, his father was on Paterno's staff at the time. McQueary the younger subsequently got on the coaching staff.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ficer-questioned-joe-paterno-player-treatment

Interesting, Paterno brow beating the faculty members in charge of student discipline...kind of calls to question that whole student athlete aura- "myth"?- Paterno used to preach about...

This is why it is ludicrous to think Paterno "met his legal obligations by telling his superiors" . News flash! Paterno was the head hancho in the Penn State athletic department and what he said was law. This is why he fired. He knew of and protected the child abuse for 15 years and did nothing. He has now admitted he wished he had done more for the kids after he was exposed and fired.

They have removed his name from the Big 10 trophy and they should remove the statue in front of the stadium.

Everyone in the athletic department needs to be fired at minimum, and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law if they knew anything about the child abuse.

thats a pretty serious assumption you are making based on what is printed in the article.

thats a pretty serious assumption you are making based on what is printed in the article.

Did you miss the 2:32 update at the bottom by chance?

Update at 2:32 p.m. ET: The man identified as Victim 9 in the latest grand jury presentment testified that Sandusky's wife did not respond to his scream for help from the basement of their State College home, The Patriot News reports.
"The victim testified that on at least one occasion, he screamed for help, knowing that Sandusky's wife was upstairs, but no one ever came to help him," the presentment says.

That's pretty damning...if accurate of course.

the fact that the kid screamed (and based on his testimony he had good reason to) does not prove that Sandusky's wife heard him or had any idea what was going on in the basement.

the fact that the kid screamed (and based on his testimony he had good reason to) does not prove that Sandusky's wife heard him or had any idea what was going on in the basement.
That's possible. That'd be one big house but he was a football coach afterall.

Now that the trial has started and the prosecution has rested does any REASONABLE person here think Sandusky, Paternio, and the entire Penn State football team is not guilty of child abuse, child sexual abuse 50 counts, cover up, and "looking the other way" while innocent boys were fed to this sexual predator?

If Penn State has any dignity left they should suspend the entire athletic department for 5 years.

Pennsylvania should be ashamed.

Now that the trial has started and the prosecution has rested does any REASONABLE person here think Sandusky, Paternio, and the entire Penn State football team is not guilty of child abuse, child sexual abuse 50 counts, cover up, and "looking the other way" while innocent boys were fed to this sexual predator?

If Penn State has any dignity left they should suspend the entire athletic department for 5 years.

Pennsylvania should be ashamed.

I haven't followed it. Has the defense had their "at bats" yet?

I just say this because in any debate or argument, until you've heard both sides, you haven't heard it all yet.

Example. I think OJ probably did it. I also would have voted to acquit based on what I saw and heard during the trial.

I haven't followed it. Has the defense had their "at bats" yet?

I just say this because in any debate or argument, until you've heard both sides, you haven't heard it all yet.

Example. I think OJ probably did it. I also would have voted to acquit based on what I saw and heard during the trial.

Everyone should be following this. College football dynasties are more import than children, according to Pennsylvania.

To have 8 witnesses testify to the same thing, independently, seals his faith. 100% guilty. End of conversation. Stick a fork in it, done.

Read the testimony of the witnesses and the eye witnesses. To allow children to be fed to this monster, sacrificed for Penn State Football, is the greatest " looking the other way" case of blind obedience to a cause since Germans and Hitler.

Even the county prosecutors in 1998 refused to investigate because it was "Penn State Football" More boys were then raped anally, and orally, due to "Penn State Football".

Disgusting, shameful, and illegal.

Last edited:
Honestly, I've not been able to stomach the thought of following the trial. There are 300 million plus other adults in the US who can deal with this, and I have faith they will promptly and appropriately.

I just don't want to know. There's nothing to be gained by my having the details but anger and frustration. Mr. Geico, in this case I give you my proxy.

Honestly, I've not been able to stomach the thought of following the trial. There are 300 million plus other adults in the US who can deal with this, and I have faith they will promptly and appropriately.

I just don't want to know. There's nothing to be gained by my having the details but anger and frustration. Mr. Geico, in this case I give you my proxy.

Don't look away, read the transcripts, see what happened to these children that took their lives away from them. As adults, as men of influence in this society, we need to know every horrid detail, every one. These were boys that were sacrificed willingly, by a college football dynasty. It is our duty as citizens to know, and to judge. There is no higher calling as men to protect those around us.

Everyone knew about Sandusky's molesting boys. Even the campus ice cream store carried a ice cream dish called the Sandusky. It was a whole bananna with 2 scoops of ice cream at one end to look like male genitaila. The ice cream workers knew, but the coaches didn't? :rofl::rofl:

We should all be ashamed that Penn state football was allowed to continue the season, and to allow the team to exist. There are coaches on the team right now that knew of the sexual abuse of children on campus, by a former coach, and it was allowed to continue, knowingly.

All for the Almighty $$$$$$$$$$$$$. Shame on Penn state, shame on Pennsylvania.

Last edited:
Pffff, Why should I bother reading any of it? It's supposed to be surprising or something? Please, these are some of the highest paid egotists out there, college football coaches because they bring in the money.

All you have to do is read any post in Spin Zone and you will become instantly aware that money is more valuable than people, that is the problem in western society.

.......Example. I think OJ probably did it. I also would have voted to acquit based on what I saw and heard during the trial.

I disagree........... The major factor of O.J. walking was the " if the glove don't fit.... you must aquit" is laughable.... The facts clearly showed the glove got wet from dew and the lawn sprinklers soaking it... Any half smart human knows leather shrinks when it gets wet... When you get 12 total idiots as a jury the outcome is predicable.:mad2:.

As for Sandusky..... That guy is downright SICK and him and all the others who covered it up over the years need to be put in jail and given the Jeff Dalhmer treatment... ie... beaten to death by other inmates.:yesnod::yesnod::mad:..

Pffff, Why should I bother reading any of it? It's supposed to be surprising or something? Please, these are some of the highest paid egotists out there, college football coaches because they bring in the money.

All you have to do is read any post in Spin Zone and you will become instantly aware that money is more valuable than people, that is the problem in western society.

Then why am I so upset? Money? :rofl:

I don't think so. :no:

I disagree........... The major factor of O.J. walking was the " if the glove don't fit.... you must aquit" is laughable.... The facts clearly showed the glove got wet from dew and the lawn sprinklers soaking it... Any half smart human knows leather shrinks when it gets wet... When you get 12 total idiots as a jury the outcome is predicable.:mad2:.

As for Sandusky..... That guy is downright SICK and him and all the others who covered it up over the years need to be put in jail and given the Jeff Dalhmer treatment... ie... beaten to death by other inmates.:yesnod::yesnod::mad:..

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Then why am I so upset? Money? :rofl:

I don't think so. :no:

:confused::confused::confused: Do you think if it wasn't for money being more important than people that this would have been allowed or made it past the first complaint/non investigation?

All for the Almighty $$$$$$$$$$$$$. Shame on Penn state, shame on Pennsylvania.
Do you not see where the same thinking is involved in saying "End welfare payments, make them earn it!" You create a situation where people are subjected to abuse for normal things.

Read Adam Smith "Wealth of a Nation"? It's all the same parts of human nature unfolding on a different stage is all and it all comes down to the same flawed thinking that money has intrinsic value.

Last edited:
I really don't need to know the excruciating details of the case. I'm convinced Sandusky should spend the rest of a short and unenjoyable life being the Booty Bandit's girlfriend.

My dad used to say that you can cure the child molester with a strong rope and tall tree. I don't see anything different as far as Sandusky.

Everyone should be following this. College football dynasties are more import than children, according to Pennsylvania.

Not to change the subject, but college football dynasties warp all sorts of things.

My experience is observing the University of Iowa, specifically, and their Hawkeye football program -- but I've been told that they are all the same. If you saw the money that goes into a Big Ten university's football program you would be absolutely amazed and sickened. And I say this as a rabid football fan.

When tens or hundreds of millions of dollars are in play, people's lives -- and education itself -- become secondary to the goal of "winning".

Have to ask;
WHAT IN THE WORLD DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH PILOTS AND PILOTS OF AMERICA? COME ON PEOPLE - IF THIS IS WHAT CONCERNS YOU - GET A LIFE.

IF THIS IS WHAT CONCERNS YOU - GO FIND ANOTHER FORUM - LIKE REAL HOUSEWIVES OF WHO KNOWS WHAT? - THIS IS JUST EMBARRASSING TO US ALL!

But then maybe some of you forum trolls just live for this stuff. Sure ruins the potential for a good pilot forum..............

Have to ask;
WHAT IN THE WORLD DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH PILOTS AND PILOTS OF AMERICA? COME ON PEOPLE - IF THIS IS WHAT CONCERNS YOU - GET A LIFE.

IF THIS IS WHAT CONCERNS YOU - GO FIND ANOTHER FORUM - LIKE REAL HOUSEWIVES OF WHO KNOWS WHAT? - THIS IS JUST EMBARRASSING TO US ALL!

But then maybe some of you forum trolls just live for this stuff. Sure ruins the potential for a good pilot forum..............

This is the "all topics" forum. If you don't like the thread don't read it.

Have to ask;

Hmmmm...

I am guessing you are a Penn State Alumni.:dunno::dunno::dunno:

This is why I had to excuse myself from being on the jury of a rape trail. The guy looked like he did it, I had already decided that he was guilty. Whether or not I'm right (I'd bet money I was), that's not what a juror is supposed to do.

Have to ask;

Damn. I hate it when he's right...:redface:

Have to ask;

God forbid that the forum is treated the same as a cockpit. 90% of cockpit conversation has nothing at all to do with flying.

Besides, this is the generic catch all forum for pilot discussion. THIS IS THE REASON THIS BOARD WAS FORMED!!! This board came about because the AOPA board closed this type forum (actually, they closed the whole board for several months while they painted it red and Chuck started this board for a place for the people to go).

The reason you are complaining is the reason this board was formed. If you want what you asked for, the AOPA board is what you want, non aviation discussion is not allowed.

This is why I had to excuse myself from being on the jury of a rape trail. The guy looked like he did it, I had already decided that he was guilty. Whether or not I'm right (I'd bet money I was), that's not what a juror is supposed to do.

I dunno Ted, you are arguably the fairest juror that may exist. Examine the evidence, determine what is fact, then arrive at the verdict. Everyone deserves that process.

I dunno Ted, you are arguably the fairest juror that may exist. Examine the evidence, determine what is fact, then arrive at the verdict. Everyone deserves that process.
I think he was saying he decided the guy was guilty before the trial which is not what a juror is supposed to do.

I think he was saying he decided the guy was guilty before the trial which is not what a juror is supposed to do.

True, actually Ted doesnt strike me as such but that is a very interesting insight. One wonders if that form of prejudice is a positive or a negative.

Correct, at which time he decided he could not serve the function of an impartial juror holding the presumption of innocence.

Back