PCL Radio Modification

labbadabba

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
labbadabba
Got an e-mail from the aircraft manager for the Wing that one of our 172s has been taken offline for a radio modification. I inquired what was being done he said it was a "free modification so we can have pilot-controlled lighting." I presume it's specific to the home base because I've flown that plane before to uncontrolled fields at night.

I was always under the impression that PCL worked simply by breaking squawk a set number of times on the CTAF freq. Are there some airports that need a specifically modified radio to turn on the lights?

Never heard of such things. It's pretty easy to build a "click up" controller for lights and other functions. I've never seen anything else.
Note that in some bizarre cases the PCL is not the CTAF.

Did he mean pilot controlled lighting inside the radio? IOW radio's backlighting?

Many of them never get hooked up to a dimmer which just seems lazy in most cases.

Did he mean pilot controlled lighting inside the radio? IOW radio's backlighting?

Many of them never get hooked up to a dimmer which just seems lazy in most cases.
I bet this is the answer.

I bet this is the answer.

Nope, his full quote is:

"This is a free modification so we can have pilot controlled lighting. You cannot turn on airport lights at night."

I'm totally baffled by this. I mean, they guy is a pilot as well as the aircraft manager. I've flown that plane at night. I have no clue what he's talking about.

Nope, his full quote is:

"This is a free modification so we can have pilot controlled lighting. You cannot turn on airport lights at night."

I'm totally baffled by this. I mean, they guy is a pilot as well as the aircraft manager. I've flown that plane at night. I have no clue what he's talking about.

That is really weird. Totally illogical to think that you need special in-aircraft controls to turn on the airport lighting. How would anyone but his planes be able to use it? I look forward to hearing what it turns out to be.

Maybe it is for the top secret dark site airfields that FEMA has set up so the chemtrail dispensing planes can land and reload.

If it really is some sort of mod to add a button for a tone generator or similar to make PCL available only to a chosen few, I'd be crawling up whatever bureaucrat's backside that made that horrible anti-safety decision to lock out other users, if the thing was purchased with tax dollars.

Back