Passengers Report Stolen SeaTac Plane, Grounded Flights

Status
Not open for further replies.
They scrambled a couple of jets. I wonder if they shot him down. I saw a video on twitter where he does a turn and goes off in the distance and a fight jet shows up following him.

I find it highly highly unlikely they shot anyone down. The guy wasn't a pilot and this is a bit more complicated than a 172, I think crash is a pretty good guess.

I find it highly highly unlikely they shot anyone down. The guy wasn't a pilot and this is a bit more complicated than a 172, I think crash is a pretty good guess.

You sure he wasn't a pilot? One person on the video said he did a "loop de loop" and he knew something about flying it. You just don't take off in a twin turboprop and fly around without knowing anything.

It was an 'airline employee' but that's all they said.

You sure he wasn't a pilot? One person on the video said he did a "loop de loop" and he knew something about flying it. You just don't take off in a twin turboprop and fly around without knowing anything.

It was an 'airline employee' but that's all they said.

I guess I'm not sure, I swear I'd read that somewhere in the story but the whole thing is just hitting the media so who knows.

Listening to the audio at that link and it is just incredible. He's not showing remorse, saying he has fuel enough to go to X, he threw up everywhere, he's played lots of video games and has an idea of how to fly it, it's more fuel burn than he expected, he doesn't want to land just yet, and that it's a long time in jail probably, he hopes it would be for something like this. Just nuts.

From one of the articles:

Deputies say preliminary information is that a mechanic from an unknown airline boarded the plane then took off. Deputies added the plane and was apparently doing stunts in the air then crashed into Ketron Island.

First hand report from a member at Beechtalk:

Saw it all from my deck. Two fighters were in intercept position, fighters broke off, went high, Q400 executed a roll, completed the roll about a 100' over the water, flew east, then intentionally dove into Ketron Island. Fireball and then sound of explosion followed a few seconds later. My daughter had binoculars on it, and that image will not go away.

I guess I'm not sure, I swear I'd read that somewhere in the story but the whole thing is just hitting the media so who knows.

From the recording it sounds like he wasn't a pilot.

Listening to these recordings leading up to his final moments is so sad.

Twitter saying the guy was a ramper, serving a plane parked at the remote stands. This is going to have BIG repercussions, folks.

Maybe they’ll background check rampers?

Those people at KOMO sure love the term "tarmac". They have no idea what it means, but they sure like to use it so equally ignorant people will think they know what they're talking about.

It will be interesting to see what they dump on the traveling public as a result of this. Not that passengers had anything to do with it, but when has that stopped government from messing with the public in the past?

Wow. That’s some crazy stuff. Very sad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

l464790862.jpg

If this doofus ever went anywhere near a training facility, TSA will start having CFIs sign off on the mental health state of everyone we meet now, and keeping the records in our personal home filing cabinets for years.

We'll have to see, the media seems to have a short attention span for anything besides Trump's circus right now so maybe we'll get lucky and it won't get much attention.

I typed out everything he said from the recorded combined freq. from the first 35min. You can see he still had concern for others.

- "Man I'm a ground service agent I don't know what that is"

- "Started it up and get it to go... ahhh ju.. couple of hours I guess. But um. Yea I wouldn't know how to land it. I wasn't really planning on landing it.

- "Just some guy who knows all about it"

ATC "....Who knows how to fly one of those aircraft but uh we'll see what we can do and get you in contact with somebody"

- "Alrighty umm yea I just kinda wanna do a couple maneuvers.. see what it can do.. before I put her down ya-know"

ATC "...and so I can uh reach out to you a little easier"

- "....a little bit.."

ATC "I'm sorry say that again"

- " Sorry I ah my mic... can't .... came up I threw up a little bit.. uhhh.. Y'know.. I uh.. hold on... ahhh.. shhhoot.. man i'm sorry about this I hope this doesn't ruin your day"

ATC "Just flying the plane around you.. you seem comfortable with that"

- "Oh hell yea it's a blast man I've played video games before sooo.. I uh.. Y'know I know what I'm doing a little bit"

ATC "Ok and uh, and you can see all the terrain around you uhh you've got no issue with visibility or anything?"

- "Naww everything's peachy. Peachy clean. Just did a little circle around 'reineer?' it's beautiful.. um.. I think I got some gas to go checkout uhh. The Olympics. and uhh.. yea"

ATC "Ok, and uh Rich. Did you know uh. Are you able to tell what altitude you're at?"

- "I threw up all inside of it. It's bad."

- "....'joined?'. I was thinking about it. and then uhh. Probably a good thing I didn't"

- "Yea that's all mumbo jum. I have. No Idea what all that means I wouldn't know how to um. Punch it in. I'm. I'm uh on autopilot."

- ".........me to the jets.."

ATC "No I'm not taking you to any Jets I'm actually keeping you away from aircraft that are trying to land at SEATAC"

- "Cool. Oh yea yea I don't want to screw with that. I'm glad uhhh. Glad you're not. Uhh you know screwing up everyone else's day"

- "On the count of me"

- "I'm uhh, I'm down to 2100. I started like 30-something"

ATC "Rich you said you had uh 2100 pounds of fuel left"

- "Yea uh I don't know what the burn burn-idge burn out is like on uh.. ahhh. on takeoff but uh yea it burned quite a bit faster than I expected"

Last edited:
You know, the airports are full of people who dream of flying, who just can’t put it together, (Money, medical, kids, life, etc.) for one reason or another. So they work in the airports to stay close to what they really wanted to do. I know, I was one of them.

I finally was able to achieve my dream, but most of those people will not. Flight sim X is as close as they will ever get to it. This guy is dead now, so we can only speculate about why he did it. But I have often voiced concern over what the consequences will be for drugging these kids up for acting out in school, instead of disciplining them.

I’m strangely impressed by the split-S that low. I guess he had nothing to lose, so if he splatted he didn’t care, but I’ve seen crappier flying than that for sure. LOL.

RIP troubled dude.

Here’s hoping not too many have the guts to copycat this guy if they’re choosing to depart this life. Going to get ultra stupid for a while if they do.

Won’t help the completely false view of Seattle being a high suicide rate area, either, which has been utterly debunked forever, and still people believe it. That stupidity has hung on for more than one generation.

It’s amazing how long that OWT has hung on. It wasn’t even accurate when it started.

That is the craziest thing I've seen in a while. Sad that he decided to take his own life and take destroy a nice airplane in the process.

Wonder if he had a flight background at all. It’s one thing to get in. Another to get it started and rolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back