Passenger scared of flying

asechrest

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
asechrest
My mother wants to take a flight with me. She is, I think, very scared, bordering on terrified. She also hates heights. But she wants to try it one time, if for no other reason than to support my passion.

I'm not sure I want to have a passenger who's terrified and not having a good time. I am fairly attuned to the attitudes of others and I think that if she's visibly not having a good time it may be distracting.

But, for those of you who've taken a scared passenger, what tips do you have? I've even considered a night flight as a first attempt. It's so peaceful at night, and the perception of height and orientation is less pronounced.

Thanks in advance.

Took someone up who ended up being a nervous flyer a little after I got my ticket, I wouldn't do it again. My only tip from that experience was to not ask them if they're feeling okay, if you judge for yourself that they're really nervous or not having a good time just land ASAP and call it day. For me I didn't realize how nervous they were until we got back on the ground. Also, my Dad took my mother up once as well with me back before my ticket. She does not like flying in small planes and pretty much vowed never to do it again after that so encouraging them (or them forcing themselves) can really turn them off to ever flying in a small plane again.

However, night isn't a bad idea and maybe once or twice around the pattern for a quick ride? Probably your best bet. Don't over think it, though. If she sees you relaxed and having fun I bet she'll have a better time than if you're constantly worrying or trying make sure she's okay.

I have very close friend who has no problems on a commercial flight but discovered she cannot tolerate small airplanes. My standard offer is to explain I will stay in the pattern, they will always have to runway in sight, and the flight will be 10-15 minutes. If she likes it, then we can plan a flight somewhere, if not, then it was a once-in-a-lifetime event. It was a one time.

I've taken my 86 yrold aunt in a c172 around Niagara Falls. She kinda enjoyed it - once. I think what she really enjoyed most was the gossip and chatter and jealously of her bridge friends!

Early in the AM before the wind or thermals start kicking up, and explain everything that happens and everything that you are doing. Most people are just afraid of the unknown, but if they understand whats going on they actually enjoy it. I've taken numerous people flying for their first time in small airplanes, and many were quite tepid. Not a one wasn't smiling at the end of the flight.

But, for those of you who've taken a scared passenger, what tips do you have?
Don't do it. My mother was my first passenger right after I got my ticket. She'd been in small planes before so even though she was nervous, I thought it would be OK. She freaked out on rotation and demanded to be taken back. Then she freaked out again when I turned crosswind, screaming, the whole nine. I might take a passenger who is a little bit nervous, but not someone bordering on terrified.

My wife lasted about 6 mins in the back seat of a 172.., then I bought a cherokee, and after flying that for the last couple months I demanded she take a ride Jan 1st this year. Well guess what? She loved it! She hated the 172 because she too is scared of heights. The fact that she could see straight down scared the crap out of her and started the breakdown that concluded with he demanding we land immediately!
She loves the cherokee, says with the low wing and that it's no different than riding in a car with the view. A friends wife says the same thing.. Not sure if this might help you but it did me. Now I got a flying partner full time!!

Early in the AM before the wind or thermals start kicking up, and explain everything that happens and everything that you are doing. Most people are just afraid of the unknown, but if they understand whats going on they actually enjoy it. I've taken numerous people flying for their first time in small airplanes, and many were quite tepid. Not a one wasn't smiling at the end of the flight.

This is what has worked for me. I talk through the preflight inspection, the IM SAFE and SAFETY checklists and explain what they can expect during the flight.

Once airborne (and at a safe altitude), I ask them to follow me along on the controls for a few gentle banks, a slight climb and slight descent. Then, once we're back to straight and level, I distract them by explaining that the same amount of sky shows beneath each of the 172's wings when we're flying level. As they look to the right side wing, I take my hands off the yoke and see how long it takes them to figure out that THEY are flying the plane.

Some people LOVE it and ask how long they can fly. Others prefer me to take over, but like to follow along for a bit. I've yet to have any passengers who didn't enjoy their first flight in a small plane.

My suggestion is provide info, a safe environment (emphasize checklist usage) and try up keep things as smooth as possible.

And, watch what you say. I once commented passing through 12500 that I had 30 minutes at that altitude before we needed oxygen. You can imagine what the passengers thought...

If your mom wants to try it, I'd suggest trying to accommodate her. Have a heart to heart to determine if the back seat might be a better idea, and where you can go. And watch conditions -- I nixed a first flight today with a very enthusiastic passenger because I thought moderate turbulence was likely.

T

However, night isn't a bad idea and maybe once or twice around the pattern for a quick ride? Probably your best bet. Don't over think it, though. If she sees you relaxed and having fun I bet she'll have a better time than if you're constantly worrying or trying make sure she's okay.

This is right on the money. If it is someone close to you, they will pick up on your behavior, or vibrations, and you will pick up on theirs.

If you stand a guitar in one corner of a decent size room, and stand another guitar in the corner furthest away from the first guitar, then pluck the e string on one of the guitars, the e string on the untouched guitar will start vibrating on its own. None of the other strings will, just the same one you plucked, the e string. (Both guitars have to be tuned the same for this to work.)

We think it is them, and it turns out to be us. Then there is the question of who set up who to start vibrating in the first place?

This applies to a whole lot more than just flying.

-John

Last edited:
+1 you either need confidence or need to be able to fake confidence(works the same.) Don't be humble announcing your mistakes as you might do with a CFI. Nothing wrong with that when flying with a CFI, shows awareness, but not so good with nervous passengers.

Take her up on a really calm day. Either early morning or nighttime. Assure her you've checked the weather, preflighted thouroughly and walk her through the pre flight and show her that everything works correctly. Also, let her fly. Let her see how inherently stable the plane is and maybe that will lessen her fear

Calm day, gentle turns, let her know she can back out at any time and you can just cancel the flight. Do a preflight with her -- and don't say you're checking to make sure nothing is damaged or malfunctioning, say you're checking to make sure everything is completely safe and ready for flight (the truth). Tell her what's going on, why you do the runup (to make sure everything works properly and the safety systems are fully working), and let her know what to expect during climb out - like, she won't be able to see over the nose.

Once aloft, a few turns around familiar landmarks or her house may help. Have her fly straight & level a little bit, maybe try a few turns. And make sure she knows -- no talking in the pattern, let you focus on flying the plane. And make sure she knows that you'll be pointed toward the ground on final. Some people don't expect that.

Calm day, gentle turns, let her know she can back out at any time and you can just cancel the flight. Do a preflight with her -- and don't say you're checking to make sure nothing is damaged or malfunctioning, say you're checking to make sure everything is completely safe and ready for flight (the truth). Tell her what's going on, why you do the runup (to make sure everything works properly and the safety systems are fully working), and let her know what to expect during climb out - like, she won't be able to see over the nose.

Once aloft, a few turns around familiar landmarks or her house may help. Have her fly straight & level a little bit, maybe try a few turns. And make sure she knows -- no talking in the pattern, let you focus on flying the plane. And make sure she knows that you'll be pointed toward the ground on final. Some people don't expect that.

:yeahthat:

Rent a plane with a CFI and sit in the back with her. If she does well, then take her up in yours. No surprises that way and you won't be distracted.

My wife lasted about 6 mins in the back seat of a 172.., then I bought a cherokee, and after flying that for the last couple months I demanded she take a ride Jan 1st this year. Well guess what? She loved it! She hated the 172 because she too is scared of heights. The fact that she could see straight down scared the crap out of her and started the breakdown that concluded with he demanding we land immediately!
She loves the cherokee, says with the low wing and that it's no different than riding in a car with the view. A friends wife says the same thing.. Not sure if this might help you but it did me. Now I got a flying partner full time!!

My wife is the same way I thought it was just her:D She does not really like flying at all but she prefers the low wings sayes it less scarry.

My mother wants to take a flight with me. .

That's all you need to hear. Take her before you end up regretting not taking her.

As far as tips are concerned, I used to take a ton of first timers up. I loved it. I used to give what I called the "narrative" version of the flight. I explained everything I was doing, when I was doing it and why. Most first timers were so engrossed in the process that they forgot they were nervous.

A trip around the pattern and back to the chocks should be your plan. If, when that's over, she wants more, go for it.

My experiences with nervous first timers: No sense walking them through the preflight. Explain everything you do and why. Tell them they will be seeing out the windscreen for the first time, instead of a small porthole on the side, and the sensation will be different. Let them know to expect a little more bumps than an airliner. Show them where the vents are. Tell them to let you know of ANY discomfort - the first time my youngest daughter flew with me there was an air vent blasting cold air in her face, she didn't say anything because she thought it was normal and didn't want to bother me. Take a sick sack and make sure you tell the pax to let you know if there are any queasy feelings starting up - I do think it's important to let the pax know about this. Explain everything you do and why. Let them know you can land as soon as possible if they want. Do a trip around the pattern, be prepred to land. Don't do a touch and go, just stay in the pattern. Always talk to them, and try to keep them talking - if they clam up, something is wrong. If they seem OK, head out of the pattern, do a quick 10-15min sightseeing trip, then head back. That's probably enough for one day. Make the softest landing you can. Explain everything you do and why (did I already say that?). Have fun and stay relaxed, it's contagious.

Edit: Oh, yeah. Make sure all your turns are well coordinated. New pax don't like any slip/skid sensations.

One thing I do when I take up new passengers, is walk through the pre-flight with them so they know what you are doing, then I do another pre-flight by myself. I know I can get distracted talking to them and upset my flow. Doing another one like I do for every flight is comforting. If I dont, I feel like I forgot something, like leaving the house and forgetting to lock the door type of thing.

Talk the person through the flight before going up. Make very shallow turns. Explain the visual picture to expect on landing. Stay away from bumps and crosswinds.

My mother in law was a quite nervous about flying. My wife suggested she bring her camera along (she was an avid photographer). After takeoff my wife suggested that if mom wanted to shoot out the other side she could remove her seat belt.

After about ten minutes the plane started yawing about. I couldn't figure it out until I realized that mom was now bouncing back and forth from one side to the other shooting pictures out alternate windows.

My wife first went up with me and my instructor in a C172, she loved it. Our first solo flight together was in a Diamond Da 20, that I was looking at buying. It was so cramped in the cabin that I literally slapped her in the forehead when trying to get my my flight bag off the hat rack. She hated it. Next flight was in the Da 40. She liked it a lot better, but commented on how the diamonds felt in bumps. Then we bought the SR 20, we flew over 200 hrs in just over a year before we sold it. She loved it and has recently commented that we need another plane. But, with 3 kids and us we have out grown a Cirrus, which is her standard for a family airplane (and mine).

It's hard to predict. Some passengers are scared in advance but fine once they're aloft; others are just the reverse. As long as you don't pressure a passenger to fly (and it sounds like you're certainly not doing that), I think it's fine to let them decide. Just fly on a clear, calm, cool day and be able to abort quickly if called for.

My mother wants to take a flight with me. She is, I think, very scared, bordering on terrified. She also hates heights. But she wants to try it one time, if for no other reason than to support my passion.

See below.

Calm day, gentle turns, let her know she can back out at any time and you can just cancel the flight. Do a preflight with her -- and don't say you're checking to make sure nothing is damaged or malfunctioning, say you're checking to make sure everything is completely safe and ready for flight (the truth).

See below

My experiences with nervous first timers: No sense walking them through the preflight.

I've taken up several ... preflight calmed them down.

My sister had not flown in 20 years and would get physcially sick if required to fly commercial for work to the point of taking some heavy meds prior to flight. Being the great big brother I am;), I used to call her once a month to tell her I was going to another field to refuel and did she want to go ... mainly just toying with her as I knew she would never go up. Low and behold, one Saturday she "got tough" and said I'll meet you at the field:eek:. The Tiger cowl opens up to completely expose the engine. Showed her how basic things are, the remainder of the pre-flight and a basic what mags are and that we have two of them for redundancy and don't need a battery or electrical after engine start.

I told her she could "scrub" at any time including just taxiing around if she wanted. Headed out to the run-up area and a transient RV-7 did a "bounce-n-go" getting at least 10 feet off the tarmac in the bounce. She asked if that was the way we were going to be landing and I re-assured her that that was not even close to a good landing whatsoever.

She was nervous at engine start, rotation and the first crosswind turn (and I told her at all three we could abort if she wanted). She was apprehensive on downwind when I told her we could fly over her house (only 5 miles from the field). Once we got over her house and she started shooting photos on her I-phone, she completely relaxed. After 25 minutes of orbiting (she wanted aerial views of her 5 dogs) I told her lets head back and she said,"Why?".

We then headed over to the local Class C to land on the big runways. Warned her that there might be some light bumps rounding the mountain and gave the usual water-air flow analogy. We hit light chop and she said she wasn't scared whatsoever now that she knew what that was ... got instructions to the parallel runway and was landing side by side with a SWA flight (video). Brought it in a little fast and flat (so I wasn't dragging it in) and just bled it out over the runway to avoid a steep approach ... while videoing she never felt the landing and on the TNG asked what was going on ... I indicated landing complete heading home ... she was impressed. She is no longer afraid to fly, and now knows to avoid afternoon flights for TB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXNFgjPBCFQ

Get a Cessna 195. Roll down windows just like an old car. Very stable in the air, lots of room, back seat is huge. Sort of like an old caddy.

We should make a checklist for dealing with apprehensive passengers.

Couple of things I've noticed will help but I don't always remember to do :

1) Announce power reductions to your passengers before you adjust the throttle. I'm guessing that's part of the reason the airline captain says, "we're beginning our descent into _____."

2) Let them know, in advance, that the stall warning going off just as the wheels touch is a sign of a good landing.

Have done it, more than once, and will do it again.

The trick that has worked for me every time is this: plan for AT LEAST an extra 30 minutes in preflight, and vocalize your way through everything you do. Do it slowly, invite and expect questions. Let them touch stuff and "connect" with the machinery. One thing I ALWAYS do is let them sump the tanks and look at the fuel to see its clear and that little bit of theater. It's amazing how much that one thing serves to ease tensions.

I've taken up several ... preflight calmed them down.

That's good to know. The times I've done it with really nervous pax they were so intimidated or overwhelmed already it just seemed like overload. I did the preflight before they showed up and then explained that I'd already checked the fuel, oil, the rest of the airplane, and it was all ready to go.

I'll have to reconsider that.

And I'm glad someone already mentioned the stall horn. I forgot about that. Somebody I was flying didn't panic, but DID ask, "WHAT WAS THAT?!?"

Don't do it. My mother was my first passenger right after I got my ticket. She'd been in small planes before so even though she was nervous, I thought it would be OK. She freaked out on rotation and demanded to be taken back. Then she freaked out again when I turned crosswind, screaming, the whole nine. I might take a passenger who is a little bit nervous, but not someone bordering on terrified.

I'm sorry, I know this was not funny for either you or your mother, but the visual of it all just made me laugh. Fortunately I've only experienced passengers with motion sickness, not outright terror, but of course that was not pretty either. I think all the suggestions posted here have been good, but I have to believe that for the most part, people either like flying or they don't. And as pilots, it behooves us to not try too hard to persuade our loved ones or friends who might not be keen on it to like it. They'll come around if they're so inclined. And if not, well, I wanted to say it's their loss, but it's both of our losses if it's someone who's important to us who we'd like to fly with.

If your mother wants to do it, let her. My mother was probably scared the first time - had never been in an airplane of any kind. At first she tried sitting vertically upright when I banked. She flew many more times with me including a couple 600+ mile cross countries when she was in her 80's. Be prepared to return if she panics, but I've only had two passengers out of at least 200 that wanted to land immediately.

Thanks for this. I hope this flight turns out similarly. Unfortunately I know that there are some who will never enjoy it. The video posted up-thread is a good example. I've resigned myself to the fact that that's a possibility so I won't be terribly disappointed.
That's always true. One of the things I always try to impress on friends and family when I invite them to fly is that I have friends and family who decline the invitation for many reasons, from discomfort (their own or a partner's) to simple lack of interest. And not everyone is going to enjoy it.

No one has to prove anything, either by going to begin with or by enjoying it if they do.

2) Let them know, in advance, that the stall warning going off just as the wheels touch is a sign of a good landing.

THIS! Last time I took passengers up, even though they heard the horn when I did a stall with them (they weren't that nervous), they were really confused. However, they didn't want to say anything because I told them to not talk too much in the pattern in case I needed to use the radio or concentrate.

Probably the biggest thing I would talk about with nervous flyers is any sudden changes in noise (engine RPM, stall warning, autopilot sounds, radio, etc.) explain these when or before they happen so they don't get worried. A seatbelt chime is a good analogy.

A trip around the pattern and back to the chocks should be your plan. If, when that's over, she wants more, go for it.

This is a big key. Don't ask what they want to do. Don't ask them if they are ok during climb. Minimize the stress on them (beyond what they are already feeling) by explaining before you get into the plane that first you and she will just be taking off, flying back to the front of the runway and landing. If there are planes in the pattern, point them out as examples of what you'll be doing. Then explain that if she enjoyed doing that then you and she can take off again for another flight. If not, no big deal and call it a day.

Also agree on calm winds and night.

Do not agree with talking about how you will be close to the runway. Or showing that the fuel is good. Or that the flight controls move freely. I find it raises concern about things they never knew existed. Instead, preflight before they arrive. When they show up, smile and say, "Just in time, all checked out and ready to go!"

During runup explain that you check that the engine is running properly (they are already worried about it in general, so that's not news). Don't detail every aspect of the test so they start worrying about several specific things instead of that the engine will stop.

Smooth take off roll and rotation, Vy climb or shallower, shallow banks. Announce power changes, turns, leveling off, descents, and on final tell her about the buzzer that will go off when it is near time for the wheels to touch the ground.

Then taxi all the way back to your tiedown/hangar, shut down the engine, and thank her for letting you share your flying with her, and that you'd love to go back up with her right now and do some sightseeing. But if she has any reservations, not to worry about stopping. You are grateful for the time you spent in the air together. Whatever the outcome, she will walk away feeling good about it...and maybe a little more likely to return for another flight.

Back