Passenger scared of flying

My mother wants to take a flight with me. She is, I think, very scared, bordering on terrified. She also hates heights. But she wants to try it one time, if for no other reason than to support my passion.

I'm not sure I want to have a passenger who's terrified and not having a good time. I am fairly attuned to the attitudes of others and I think that if she's visibly not having a good time it may be distracting.

But, for those of you who've taken a scared passenger, what tips do you have? I've even considered a night flight as a first attempt. It's so peaceful at night, and the perception of height and orientation is less pronounced.

Thanks in advance.

Stay below 1000', with my ex I had to sty around 10'. Fly smooth, always stay coordinated and avoid more than 1.3g maneuvering. When you take a later flight with her you can creep up some more altitude.

Stay below 1000', with my ex I had to sty around 10'.
My wife's comfort level corresponds roughly to our altitude. The higher we get, the happier she is. The only time it was really an issue, though, was when she dozed off at 6500 MSL, and woke up at about pattern altitude...

"Aren't we AWFULLY CLOSE TO THE GROUND???"

"Well, not as close as we'll be in about two minutes when we land..."

Stay below 1000'...

That's OK if you're in the pattern, but I'd hesitate to reduce my real safety to enhance a passenger's perceived safety.

The stall warning bit has worked for me, too. The only point at which my daughter got nervous in the 172 was on final, looking at the ground approaching through the windshield. I told her through the intercom, "If I do this right, just before the wheels touch you'll hear someone squeeze a doll." She looked very puzzled, then laughed out loud when the Cessna stall horn sounded.

I have a friend who's taken dozens, maybe a hundred or more people for their first flights in an open-cockpit, experimental gyroplane. He has an interesting variation on the preflight suggestion. He has a laminated card made for passengers, and asks them to read off the preflight checks as he performs them. It's not only for them, but helps him avoid being distracted by pax making small talk.

Last edited:
I have this issue with my wife (granted I am still training, but dad has PPL and she has not gone up yet). She claims it is less a fear of flying and more a fear air airsickness. I am tentively planing on asking my CFI if she can go along for a ride once I solo and start XC work.

I have this issue with my wife (granted I am still training, but dad has PPL and she has not gone up yet). She claims it is less a fear of flying and more a fear air airsickness. I am tentively planing on asking my CFI if she can go along for a ride once I solo and start XC work.

Just don't take her for air work, smooth low G is what you want.

You might want to wait until after your check ride. A lot of people feel claustrophobic in the back seat. The back seat can also contribute to motion sickness a whole lot more than the front seat. Just one bad first experience can turn them off for good.

-John

If airsickness is a risk, you want her in the front seat, much closer to CG. Wait for your checkride.

Maybe the fear is justified. I would have a fear of flying with some of the Bozos I see come and go at the airport.

Thanks for all the really good replies. They have helped me plan my course of action. I think what I'll do is plan on one trip around the pattern, then a taxi back to parking and shutdown. If she wants to go back up, great. If not, this takes the pressure off of her. Those of you who suggested this, great idea.

I'll give her the option of early morning or night.

Rather than taking her through the full pre-flight, I think I'll do the pre-flight ahead of time, but then take her on a "tour" of the airplane; let her touch and move the control surfaces, tell her a bit about the plane, etc.

I'll coordinate with the tower to let them know I have a new passenger, would like one circuit, and would be happy to hold in position until we're assured no 360 or s-turns will be needed for spacing. I'll keep the pattern turns shallow and tell her what I'm doing each step of the way. I'll do my best to land a greaser.

Other than, I'll hope she likes it and wants to go up again.

Thanks for all the really good replies. They have helped me plan my course of action. I think what I'll do is plan on one trip around the pattern, then a taxi back to parking and shutdown. If she wants to go back up, great. If not, this takes the pressure off of her. Those of you who suggested this, great idea.

I'll give her the option of early morning or night.

Rather than taking her through the full pre-flight, I think I'll do the pre-flight ahead of time, but then take her on a "tour" of the airplane; let her touch and move the control surfaces, tell her a bit about the plane, etc.

I'll coordinate with the tower to let them know I have a new passenger, would like one circuit, and would be happy to hold in position until we're assured no 360 or s-turns will be needed for spacing. I'll keep the pattern turns shallow and tell her what I'm doing each step of the way. I'll do my best to land a greaser.

Other than, I'll hope she likes it and wants to go up again.

It's your Mom, no matter what you do, you'll be a hero. DO NOT PASS ON THIS OPPORTUNITY, I did and will regret it forever.

Stay below 1000', with my ex I had to sty around 10'. Fly smooth, always stay coordinated and avoid more than 1.3g maneuvering. When you take a later flight with her you can creep up some more altitude.

HA! That's sound like my wife's first flight. The buddy that got me started flying took her in his Luscombe over the pecan orchards (20 min flight) and back.

1. Wasn't her husband flying, it was someone with REAL experience:mad2::rolleyes:
2. She was at maybe 150 AGL most of the flight until in the pattern.
3. She ALWAYS wants to fly LOW now because of that introductory flight:lol:

Well, today was the day. I got up early and the morning looked great. Light wind, cooler than I expected, no clouds. I headed to the airport and did a nice leisurely preflight.

About 45 minutes later my Mom arrived. By then the wind had picked up a bit. METAR said 10 knots. Ideally I wanted a glass-smooth day but it's really quite difficult to to work out the timing between our schedules and the availability of the airplane. She's been nervous for a couple of weeks (since we first tried a flight and scrubbed due to weather), and said she just wanted to go ahead and get it done.

I told ground we'd be doing one circuit around the pattern and coming back for a full stop, which is what I promised my Mom I'd do for her first flight.

To make a long story less long, while I did have hope she'd enjoy it, she was unable to get past her phobia of heights. In fact, after glancing out the right side window, she ended up leaning toward me for the rest of the flight. I don't think she enjoyed it, and doesn't appear to be looking forward to going again. This is not wholly unexpected, because my Mom is a generally nervous person when it comes to stepping outside her comfort zone. She's also terrified of heights, the point of being scared to drive over tall suspension bridges. I had hope because I'm not a big fan of heights either, but I get absolutely none of that feeling when I'm in the plane.

Her comments:

* She doesn't care for the "floaty" feeling, but it wasn't as bad as she expected
* She was surprised at all the "activity" on the radio
* She has balance/inner ear issues but it didn't affect her in the plane. She didn't even realize we had made any turns/banks except for the one to final approach. Not sure how, but I guess I'll take credit for my smooth turns. :D
* She definitely noticed the height and this was primarily what caused her the most displeasure.
* Once she got in: "Wow, the plane is small!"

My thoughts:

* The wind was not ideal for a first flight with an incredibly nervous passenger, but given her comment that she had been nervous for two weeks thinking about it, I opted to go. Not sure if that was the right decision, but given her biggest issue was the height, I'm not sure it would have mattered.
* Her nervousness made me nervous
* I had my significant other in the back as well, and I think this is the first time I've had three adults in this airplane. I was surprised how much power was needed to taxi, how much longer the takeoff roll was, and how much more power I needed in descent to landing. This is a 1973 172M with a 150HP engine. Good experience for me.
* My landing sucked. The wind was slightly gusty, and we got a gust about a foot above the runway, which ballooned me up a bit (figures).
* There are clearly some folks who just won't enjoy flying in a small plane. I think I found one. Oh well, at least my SO has no problem with it.

Thanks for reading.

Hey, never say never. She may surprise and want to try it again sometime.

Hey, never say never. She may surprise and want to try it again sometime.

If she works up the nerve sometime in the future, I think I'll try a night flight. The fear of heights feeling may be less pronounced and the wind should be more cooperative. And the city lights are nice from the air.

Try a low wing.. My wife hated flying. Only lasted minutes in the 172.. In the Cherokee she can't get enough of it now!! She says the lower wing made all the differance in the world since she too is afraid of heights..

Try a low wing.. My wife hated flying. Only lasted minutes in the 172.. In the Cherokee she can't get enough of it now!! She says the lower wing made all the differance in the world since she too is afraid of heights..

That's an interesting thought. Thanks.

She might have just wanted to support her son, btw, don't forget to Mother's Day !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My mother in law was a quite nervous about flying. My wife suggested she bring her camera along (she was an avid photographer). After takeoff my wife suggested that if mom wanted to shoot out the other side she could remove her seat belt.

After about ten minutes the plane started yawing about. I couldn't figure it out until I realized that mom was now bouncing back and forth from one side to the other shooting pictures out alternate windows.

Had that happen first time I took th' Ol' Lady up, she was in back, Daughter was in front, Ol Lady was sliding back and forth on the armorall coated seat. :rolleyes:

I avoid taking scared people and first timers. First timers you don't know how they're going to react.

Had a guy just drive up one day and ask if I could take his ~9 year old son for a ride. I asked if he had ever been flying before and was told no.

I politely declined even though I wanted to take the boy. But you never know with people nowadays. It could have been a set up for all I know. "hey! you scared the **** out of my boy!" I'm suing!.

I avoid taking scared people and first timers. First timers you don't know how they're going to react.

Do you think other pilots are better able to handle first-timers than you are? If not, how are first-timers ever to get a chance to fly?

Do you think other pilots are better able to handle first-timers than you are? If not, how are first-timers ever to get a chance to fly?

I point them straight to the flight school down the line with an intro flight. I think it's $25. They have the liability insurance and nerves for it.

I guess you've never had anyone totally freak out on you ...

Some kid screaming at the top of their lungs "I WANT OUT! I WANT OUT! is not conducive to safe flight. :no:

If she works up the nerve sometime in the future, I think I'll try a night flight. The fear of heights feeling may be less pronounced and the wind should be more cooperative. And the city lights are nice from the air.

I wouldn't do night. Dont bug her, but if she ever expresses interest to go up with you again, do another 15-20min morning or evening flight. Try a low-wing, ideally a slightly larger plane. Dont do the one lap around the pattern thing, it requires maneuvering close to the ground which is the only time you really have a sensation of height. My wife is very apprehensive about flying. She flies with me because it is a great way to get places on our schedule. I try to climb above the clouds and out of the bumps as fast as I can. She is stretched out in the back with a book and food supplies for the kids.

Dramamine is what you want your wife to take 1/2 prior to flight. Keep the turns at standard rate, announce what you are doing, keep the g loading low (no dramatic climbs or decents). I've only had two pukers in my plane and one close to it. The two pukers were 10 year old young eagles. One ate a bag of Doritos just before the flight. Both were front seaters so the location would not have mattered.
An airsick bag handy is your best solution.

Is duct tape one word or two?

Back