Passed my IFR checkride!

Cool! It's definitely a hard one to maintain proficiency on.

Congrats Carlos! Wow, seems like yesterday you just passed your PPC. Well done.

Last edited:
Congrats!
I passed mine last month. Best part (so far) for me: no BFR needed this time around (which for me was due next month).

Congrats! Now that I've replaced my attitude indicator with.....something else, I can resume my instrument training.

Congrats!

I've found, and perhaps you'll experience the same thing, that what you need to know to fly IFR with confidence far exceeds what you need to know to pass the tests. The same is true of the private but to me it seemed like the difference is far greater with the instrument rating.

Congrats! And keep your new ticket wet!

You're living the dream Carlos. Congrats!

Welcome to the League of Temporary Airmen! :cheers:

Hopefully you can get that new ticket wet soon... :thumbsup:

Congrats!! Have three hours of checkride prep then planning to do the same. Any insights??

Congratulations! Now, go relearn how to land (you didn't do that all that much in IR training and I know mine suffered). :D

Congratulations <3 :):D

it's been little less than a year since pass in my PPL and today I passed my IR!! In this past year I flew about 140 hrs bought a plane and passed my IR checkride. But the learning continues.

Any details about the practical, or people don't share that anymore?

I assumed you filed. The hood/goggles went on at what altitude? What was the initial clearance? What approaches did you fly? What and when did you have an instrument fail etc.?

Any details about the practical, or people don't share that anymore?

I assumed you filed. The hood/goggles went on at what altitude? What was the initial clearance? What approaches did you fly? What and when did you have an instrument fail etc.?
Terry, I just had mine about a month ago, not too far from you (Grand Rapids area), so I'll share with you about mine:

Very short Q&A in the beginning...mainly just talked about the cross country he asked me to plan from Grand Rapids to St. Louis, and nothing else really. Then he asked me to file a round-robin flight plan to Grand Rapids and back (we were at a satellite airport: Greenville). We took off, I activated through Grand Rapids approach, then he had me put the foggles on (I had used a full hood during my training, but my instructor had me also bring the glasses-type foggles for the checkride, which the DPE was fine with). We did a precision then non-precision approach at Grand Rapids, then on return to Greenville, we did two unusual attitude recoveries. After that, he covered the vacuum instruments and I did a non-precision into Greenville, then done. No questions in the air, no surprises, etc. Easy Schmeezy. The only thing I "screwed up" was that I wasn't used to the foggles (I should have stuck with the hood. I have no problem with the full hood other than it tends to hurt my face and sometimes steams up my glasses), and during the unusual attitude recovery I couldn't stop myself from looking under the foggles out the window. DPE seemed annoyed, but didn't make me re-do it.

Last edited:
Back