Part 135 Instructor - Add a rating to CFI?

PNWFlyer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
PNWFlyer
If a person has a CFI and subsequently is qualified as a Part 135 instructor for his company in a multi-engine aircraft, can that training program and company qualification be used to add MEI to the certificate?

If a person has a CFI and subsequently is qualified as a Part 135 instructor for his company in a multi-engine aircraft, can that training program and company qualification be used to add MEI to the certificate?

Not by itself. You still need to take the MEI checkride. There is no training requirement for an MEI. It is whatever it takes to get a CFI to endorse you to take the checkride.

I added mine during my ATP ride. I don't recall getting a sing off, but that was so long ago I don't have a very clear memory of it.

Not by itself. You still need to take the MEI checkride. There is no training requirement for an MEI. It is whatever it takes to get a CFI to endorse you to take the checkride.
It was different many years ago. I actually got my MEI during a FAA line check while flying for an old commuter airline.... and I was not a company IP.
I didn’t even ask for it. Literally the inspector just handed me my temporary. People on board and everything. I then asked if he could add my CFII. He asked if I had the written done. If I did, I would have got that as well.

It was different many years ago. I actually got my MEI during a FAA line check while flying for an old commuter airline.... and I was not a company IP.
I didn’t even ask for it. Literally the inspector just handed me my temporary. People on board and everything. I then asked if he could add my CFII. He asked if I had the written done. If I did, I would have got that as well.

The good old days.

Isn't the Company breaking some rule? Qualifying you to instruct without the appropriate FAA Certifications.

Isn't the Company breaking some rule? Qualifying you to instruct without the appropriate FAA Certifications.
No. The company training manual outlines the requirements for a company instructor. Generally speaking, if you don’t hold a flight instructor certificate you’ll have to meet similar training requirements, but a flight instructor certificate isn’t part of that process.

Even for issuance of a certificate or rating (often the case with initial airline training), if that certificate or rating is part of the company training program, an instructor certificate isn’t required.

The OP didn't say anything about a checkride with the fed. All he mentioned was qualifying as a 135 instructor, which does not require a checkride of any sort, at least it didn't under the OpSpecs and GOM's that I have worked with.

A line check is not a check ride in the normal sense. It is a normal flight with passengers from point A to B. In my case, back, when I was flying for a commuter, our Company's POI was riding from MHT to BOS to ISP and along the way he was giving me line check (something only Captains needed). I flew from MHT to BOS and he reinstated my expired CFI. The FO flew from BOS to ISP and while enroute, since I was a MEI, he had me sign an 8710 that he had filled out for the FO so that the POI could add a MEI to the FO's CFI. This was back in the early 90s when things were easier.

I believe the folks who drive FeEx caravans are required to have S.E. ATP.
I flew for a FedEx Caravan operator for 8 yrs and I don't have a S.E. ATP.

14 CFR Part 135.299.

It's required to be given by a FAA Approved Check Airman or an Inspector. It has to be satisfactory, and it must be documented and has a time limitation.

So that makes it a "check ride" in my book.
A failure is PRIA reportable as a failed checkride.

Back