Part 121 time and Part 91 Flight Instruction

Except that the Fretwell letter is explicitly limited to the medical certificate issues of 14 CFR 61.23. You can't extend it to Part 121 flight time limitations regulations without another letter from the FAA. So I'm wondering whether your company got that from the FAA and is just passing it on, or if they came up with that interpretation on their own. Either way, I'd like to see the reasoning.

But the same reasoning follows...which is how legal precedents are made.

ALPA concurs, as well. See Q-66:
http://www.alpa.org/portals/alpa/committees/ftdt/FTDTGuidePart117_11-20-13.pdf

Q-66. Does personal and military flying time count for cumulative limit
purposes?

A-66. No. Only flying performed by the flightcrew member on
behalf of a certificate holder or 91K Program Manager

during the applicable periods counts for determining the
cumulative limit.

ALPA's opinion has no more weight than your company's before an ALJ or the NTSB. I'm still wondering if either your company or ALPA has anything from the FAA to support their position.

ALPA's opinion has no more weight than your company's before an ALJ or the NTSB. I'm still wondering if either your company or ALPA has anything from the FAA to support their position.

Do you think they make up rules? :dunno:

Well, yeah, that's how it works. They took that interpretation and applied it to pt 91 flying using solid logic. They'll continue to do so until challenged, which may never happen.

Well, yeah, that's how it works. They took that interpretation and applied it to pt 91 flying using solid logic. They'll continue to do so until challenged, which may never happen.

Well, no, that's not how it works. They are a highly regulated industry, and as such work through their CMO at the FAA in defining all the rules by which they operate.

:rolleyes2:

Let's see, ALPA has a legal department that is probably one of the best when it comes to Aviation legal matters. Somehow I don't think that ALPA "makes things up" without discussing with the FAA legal.

ALPA legal interpretation or a Ron Levy interpretation.....Hmmmm, wonder which one I would follow?......:rolleyes:

Well, no, that's not how it works. They are a highly regulated industry, and as such work through their CMO at the FAA in defining all the rules by which they operate.

Loren is correct. Part 121 is far more regulated than 91 GA and the stakes are much higher. A company (or ALPA) isn't going to "make something up" and push forward because if it proves to be wrong, the cost can be staggering.

Funny thing is there NO limit on any military reserve flying in conjunction with Part 121 Ops.

Loren is correct. Part 121 is far more regulated than 91 GA and the stakes are much higher. A company (or ALPA) isn't going to "make something up" and push forward because if it proves to be wrong, the cost can be staggering.

Well, then there must have been a written change somewhere, it would be nice to know where that lies.

:rolleyes2:

Let's see, ALPA has a legal department that is probably one of the best when it comes to Aviation legal matters. Somehow I don't think that ALPA "makes things up" without discussing with the FAA legal.
I agree -- but I'd still like to see what the FAA wrote to ALPA, as that would contain the FAA's logic in making this interpretation.

I agree -- but I'd still like to see what the FAA wrote to ALPA, as that would contain the FAA's logic in making this interpretation.

Better yet, ask the FAA -- it's their rule, and their interpretation. Any interpretation by ALPA's attorneys by themselves would carry little weight before the courts if the FAA didn't agree.

Call ALPA Legal. I seriously doubt they make these determinations by themselves.

You might find it in the interpretations page since that's where all these things get filed.
What I found was this, which says
"Other commercial flying" means any nonmilitary flying as a required crewmember for which the crewmember is paid for his or her services. Oct 31, 1990, Letter to Manager NE-FSDO-03, from Donald P. Byrne, Acting Assistant Chief Counsel for Regulations [1990-32].
It makes none of the distinctions about 135 or 121 or 91K which people suggested above. Further, since a CFI is in many cases a required crewmember and is being paid for his/her services, that suggests this time is "other commercial flying" (even if s/he is not required to have a Second Class medical by 14 CFR 61.23) for the purposes of 14 CFR 121.471. I can find no further FAA definition of this term for this purpose.

And that's why I asked if anyone who's posted here on this has anything from the FAA explaining how this latest definition which narrows the old definition considerably was arrived at, and even whether it has the FAA's imprimatur.

It makes none of the distinctions about 135 or 121 or 91K which people suggested above. Further, since a CFI is in many cases a required crewmember and is being paid for his/her services, that suggests this time is "other commercial flying" (even if s/he is not required to have a Second Class medical by 14 CFR 61.23) for the purposes of 14 CFR 121.471. I can find no further FAA definition of this term for this purpose.

And that's why I asked if anyone who's posted here on this has anything from the FAA explaining how this latest definition which narrows the old definition considerably was arrived at, and even whether it has the FAA's imprimatur.

Be sure to let us know what you find out.

Agreed. But most likely we'll see what's above, which will be a Levy "interpretation" of a CC letter.

No sense in talking directly to the parties involved(such as ALPA) :rolleyes:

Agreed. But most likely we'll see what's above, which will be a Levy "interpretation" of a CC letter.

No sense in talking directly to the parties involved(such as ALPA) :rolleyes:

While I agree with you, I do think Ron has a point. I don't think ALPA would knowingly put out something contradictory to what the FAA wants, but it would be nice to have a reference from the FAA that the ALPA position is based on.

Since Ron does not have any skin in this particular game, I don't think he is going to put much effort into it.

Having said THAT, I don't think there are very many of us 121 types that do enough outside commercial flying to make a difference.

"What's above" is a Chief Counsel letter which does not say what the folks above have been saying -- no interpretation necessary, just reading the letter. If there's something newer and more restrictive about what "other commercial flying" means, I'm not finding it on the Chief Counsel's web site. Hence, my interest in the root source of the information quoted above, especially this part:

purposes?

cumulative limit.
...which does not cite any FAA document, interpretation, letter, or regulation.

While I agree with you, I do think Ron has a point. I don't think ALPA would knowingly put out something contradictory to what the FAA wants, but it would be nice to have a reference from the FAA that the ALPA position is based on.

Since Ron does not have any skin in this particular game, I don't think he is going to put much effort into it.

Having said THAT, I don't think there are very many of us 121 types that do enough outside commercial flying to make a difference.

Very true.

I'm sure ALPA Legal would give Ron the information if requested, however it's probably not what he wants to hear.

Very true.

I'm sure ALPA Legal would give Ron the information if requested, however it's probably not what he wants to hear.
Unless it's something they made up on their own, it may well be what I want to hear. If you know the right person there to ask, please share.

"The most recent Guide is posted on the ALPA website. You should check
the ALPA website at the Flight Time/Duty Time Committee page for
the current version of the Guide. Should you have a particular question
about the application of Part 117 that is not addressed in this Guide, ALPA
members may contact the ALPA Legal Department (703-689-4323) who, if
appropriate, can seek an interpretation from the FAA as to the application
of Part 117 to a specific circumstance."

Last edited:

That is what I know and was taught in 135 indoc 20 some years ago when they made a blanket statement to the class, "You can't work as a CFI without express permission from scheduling." I was wondering if there was an official application of the CFI exemption since.

Must be in the members section

...Further, since a CFI is in many cases a required crewmember and is being paid for his/her services, that suggests this time is "other commercial flying"....

How is it commercial flying? The FAA says that as a CFI you are being paid for providing instruction, not for pilot services.

:dunno:

The interpretation is contained in the Johnstone interpretation issued in February of this year. I will post more when I get to my computer.

The interpretation is contained in the Johnstone interpretation issued in February of this year. I will post more when I get to my computer.

Here it is, Greg...and they do say in this interpretation that Flight Instruction IS commercial flying. Which would seem to contradict what was said in the Fretwell letter.

:confused:

I'm confused...and it ain't the first time

Attachments

• johnstone - (2015) legal interpretation.pdf
    71.7 KB · Views: 12
Here it is, Greg...and they do say in this interpretation that Flight Instruction IS commercial flying. Which would seem to contradict what was said in the Fretwell letter.

Well, I don't know what the Fretwell letter says. (Well, now I do. They do seem to be contradictory, don't they?)

But bottom line is in the passenger carrying airline world, our flight and duty time "restrictions" are governed by part 117. According to the Johnstone letter, 117 covers parts 121, 135 and 91K.

Last edited:
I'm not planning to join ALPA just to get the answer to this question.

Actually, what they say is that flight instruction for compensation is "other commercial flying" in the context of duty time limits for commercial operations. That definition is limited to that context, just as the issue of what level of medical certification is required to give flight training is limited to the context of 14 CFR 61.23. The FAA Chief Counsel has long made clear that these letters apply only to the question/regulation they discuss, and not to other questions or other regulations not asked or discussed.

And thanks to Greg for finding that letter which I failed to find. It leads directly to the Martindell letter, which in paragraph 2 certainly makes clear that the ALPA statement is in direct contradiction with the FAA Chief Counsel's position. There is nothing in either the Martindell or Johnstone letters which says that "other commercial flying" is limited to flying covered by Part 117, only that the duty time limits against which "other commercial flying" counts are those duty time limits in operations covered by Part 117.

So, it clearly states that the answer to the original question at the top of this discussion is yes, the FAA's stated position is this flight training for compensation does count against your 121.471 limits, no matter what ALPA's attorneys or Jonesy's company say.

Also, when dealing with FAA definitions, keep in mind that they have three different definitions of "night" depending on whether you're talking about lights, landing currency, or logging night time, and seven different definitions of "cross-country time", again depending on context. And they even have a definition of "pressurized aircraft" in 14 CFR 61.31 which, for the purposes of that section and only that section, includes quite a few unpressurized aircraft (like the Beech V35TX and the Cessna 401) but excludes many aircraft with cabin pressurization (like the Piper Malibu). So yes, context is critical.

Last edited:

purposes?

cumulative limit.

Well, yeah. But in this context, "personal" does not equate to "commercial". So, in this context, any commercial flying done outside of 121, 135 or 91K has to be counted against the weekly, monthly and annual totals.

I initially thought none of that counted based on what was being said, but once I got a copy of the actual letter, and with a little prodding, I saw the error in my thinking.

Well, yeah. But in this context, "personal" does not equate to "commercial". So, in this context, any commercial flying done outside of 121, 135 or 91K has to be counted against the weekly, monthly and annual totals.

I initially thought none of that counted based on what was being said, but once I got a copy of the actual letter, and with a little prodding, I saw the error in my thinking.
So which of you ALPA members is going to call the number R&W posted and tell their attorneys they need to read paragraph 2 of the Martindell letter?

So which of you ALPA members is going to call the number R&W posted and tell their attorneys they need to read paragraph 2 of the Martindell letter?

To what end? It seems like one FAA interpretation is in contradiction to another FAA letter. Not an ALPA issue unless I am mis interpreting what you mean.

Since most of us don't pretend to be legal experts (either in life or the net) I don't suspect most would be calling trained legal professionals and telling them how to do their jobs. :rolleyes:

Besides, I thought you had a direct line to the Chief Counsels office? With your impressive credentials I would think the ALPA attorneys would be honored to hear your legal expertise on the matter. :rolleyes2:

To what end? It seems like one FAA interpretation is in contradiction to another FAA letter.
As I said above, I see no contradiction between the two FAA letters. I don't see how one can say there's a contradiction when the FAA give two different definitions for two different phrases used in two different regulations. One involves an interpretation of 14 CFR 61.23 on medical certificates, and the other involves interpretation of Part 121/135 regulations on crew duty time. Different contexts (Part 121/135 duty time versus need for a medical certificate) and different phrases ("exercising privileges of a commercial pilot certificate" versus "other commercial flying"), so it's not surprising to me that the definitions are different.

Not an ALPA issue unless I am mis interpreting what you mean.
Doesn't affect me, so I don't really care, but if one of you folks follows ALPA's Q66 guidance by not counting paid off-airline-duty flight instructor time against your Part 121 flight time limits, you could be in violation of the FAA's interpretation of its own regulations, and that's not a place I'd want to be.

Last edited:
To what end? It seems like one FAA interpretation is in contradiction to another FAA letter. Not an ALPA issue unless I am mis interpreting what you mean.

Do you see where there is an allowance to give flight instruction without it counting against your allowable 121 flight time?

As I said above, I see no contradiction between the two FAA letters. I don't see how one can say there's a contradiction when the FAA give two different definitions for two different phrases used in two different regulations. One involves an interpretation of 14 CFR 61.23 on medical certificates, and the other involves interpretation of Part 121/135 regulations on crew duty time. Different contexts (Part 121/135 duty time versus need for a medical certificate) and different phrases ("exercising privileges of a commercial pilot certificate" versus "other commercial flying"), so it's not surprising to me that the definitions are different.

Doesn't affect me, so I don't really care, but if one of you folks follows ALPA's Q66 guidance by not counting paid off-airline-duty flight instructor time against your Part 121 flight time limits, you could be in violation of the FAA's interpretation of its own regulations, and that's not a place I'd want to be.

Ok. I see what you are saying. I think the Johnstone letter covers it and doesn't contradict Martindell.

I will give it a shot and see what happens.

Back