Part 121 time and Part 91 Flight Instruction

Do you see where there is an allowance to give flight instruction without it counting against your allowable 121 flight time?

Initially I did. Yes. But not anymore. One has to parse these interpretations pretty carefully.

I wish the lawyers talked more in plain English and not so much in lawyerese.

Since most of us don't pretend to be legal experts (either in life or the net) I don't suspect most would be calling trained legal professionals and telling them how to do their jobs. :rolleyes:

No, but we CAN give them a call and ask them to look into the interpretation. Just because they are ALPA legal does not mean they can't make a mistake.

In this case, Ron has a point in that the legal interpretations contradict what the Q&A says.

Well, as stated previously...I'll may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer (but close, I hope :D), and maybe that's why I'm still confused.

The FAR's say that it is commercial flying (and requiring a commercial certificate and a class 2 medical) if you fly passengers or cargo for compensation or hire or act as PIC for an airplane being flown for compensation or hire. OK, got it.

The FAA has also said that when CFI's are flying with students, the students are NOT passengers and vice versa. OK..got that one to.

The FAA has also said that when being paid for providing instruction, a CFI is being compensated for teaching, not for flying...plus, as noted above, the student is not a passenger. OK, good. Still hanging in there.

And since the CFI is not being compensated for flying, but rather for instructing, the FAA has said that to act as PIC as an instructor, the instructor is only exercising private pilot privileges since it is not a commercial operation and thus requires only a Class 3 medical. Right..got that, too.

So if the CFI is not carrying a passenger for compensation or hire, nor flying the airplane for compensation or hire, nor exercising commercial pilot privileges...how can it all of a sudden become "commercial flying" just because the CFI happens to fly for a 121 or 135 operator?

Now, I can see the individual 121/135 operator having their own rules...but I just cannot see how the FAA definition of "commercial flying" can change because of the CFI's employer.

FWIW...I'm prepared to be properly lashed and educated.

Last edited:
Greg, look at your actual "Hard" time every month. Not your "Pay" time but hard time and I think you will see tremendous wiggle room. For instance this month I have vacation and I'm getting circa 71 hours of pay but only actually flying about 48.

The FAR's say that it is commercial flying (and requiring a commercial certificate and a class 2 medical) if you fly passengers or cargo for compensation or hire or act as PIC for an airplane being flown for compensation or hire. OK, got it.
That's not what the regulations say. 61.23 says that you must have a Second Class medical when you are "exercising the privileges of a commercial pilot certificate". The term "commercial flying" isn't used anywhere in that regulation.
The FAA has also said that when CFI's are flying with students, the students are NOT passengers and vice versa. OK..got that one to.
That interpretation was very explicitly limited to the issue of 61.57 landing currency. See the Kortokrax letter for details. It has no applicability to anything else, including 61.23 or any regulation of Parts 121 or 135.

The FAA has also said that when being paid for providing instruction, a CFI is being compensated for teaching, not for flying...plus, as noted above, the student is not a passenger. OK, good. Still hanging in there.
Again, those statements are limited to interpretation of two sections of Part 61, and they have no applicability to interpretation of any section of any other Part.

And since the CFI is not being compensated for flying, but rather for instructing, the FAA has said that to act as PIC as an instructor, the instructor is only exercising private pilot privileges since it is not a commercial operation and thus requires only a Class 3 medical. Right..got that, too.
Again, those statements are limited to interpretation of two sections of Part 61, and they have no applicability to interpretation of any section of any other Part.

So if the CFI is not carrying a passenger for compensation or hire, nor flying the airplane for compensation or hire, nor exercising commercial pilot privileges...how can it all of a sudden become "commercial flying" just because the CFI happens to fly for a 121 or 135 operator?
It doesn't "all of a sudden become 'commercial flying'" because the FAA never said anywhere in Part 61 or any interpretation of any section of Part 61 that it wasn't "commercial flying".

The problem here is that you're trying to apply interpretations of some Part 61 rules regarding landing currency for carriage of passengers and the requirements for a medical certificate which do not use the phrase "commercial flying" anywhere in either the regulations on those issues or the interpretations of those regulations to the FAA's interpretation of the term "commercial flying" used in various sections of other Parts of the FAR's, and that's apples:eek:ranges.

Greg, look at your actual "Hard" time every month. Not your "Pay" time but hard time and I think you will see tremendous wiggle room. For instance this month I have vacation and I'm getting circa 71 hours of pay but only actually flying about 48.

I understand that, Art. But that isn't the issue I am investigating.

Also, part 117 complicates the issue even further.

The problem here is that you're trying to apply interpretations of some Part 61 rules regarding landing currency for carriage of passengers and the requirements for a medical certificate which do not use the phrase "commercial flying" anywhere in either the regulations on those issues or the interpretations of those regulations to the FAA's interpretation of the term "commercial flying" used in various sections of other Parts of the FAR's, and that's apples:eek:ranges.

Wow. Just, Wow.

No wonder people have such a difficult time understanding the regulations.

"This part applies to this situation but not that. This interpretation applies when you are doing this, but if you are holding your mouth just right, and hopping on one foot, it doesn't apply."

Again, Wow. Just, Wow.

Wow. Just, Wow.

"This part applies to this situation but not that. This interpretation applies when you are doing this, but if you are holding your mouth just right, and hopping on one foot, it doesn't apply."

Again, Wow. Just, Wow.

at least the feds are consistent and I offer the tax code as an example of equally arcane regulations...

Wow. Just, Wow.

Again, Wow. Just, Wow.
I think you'd like it a lot less if they said that the definition of the term "commercial flying" used only in Part 121 also applied to the term "exercising the privileges of a commercial pilot certificate" used in Part 61, or vice versa. I suspect that they used "commercial flying" in Part 121 specifically because it's not used in Part 61, and that meant they didn't have to worry about different meanings for the same term in different places. In any event, they used different terms in those different applications, so one can hardly be surprised that they are saying the two different terms have two different meanings. The problems arise when other folks fail to recognize that these are two different terms, and then inappropriately try to apply the same meaning to both.

Last edited:
I'll take a dive into the pool of opinion.

When flight and duty times were under 121, any flying for compensation was considered to go against your 121 limits. There was plenty of chief consul opinions on this.

On January 4, 2014, 121 flight and duty times fall under 117, not 121 for passenger operations. FAR 117 is very clear in what counts toward the limits. Only 121, 135 or 91K counts. I have asked our CMO and they concur with this assessment. Yes, I know it is up to the chief consuls office to generate a formal opinion.

What this does not change is if your company specifically prohibits outside commercial flying.

That is what I thought, too, initially. But when you look at the wording of the regulation, it says the opposite. In other words, all commercial flying counts with few exceptions. I have a question in with ALPA legal on this and they haven't gotten back to me yet.

I'll take a dive into the pool of opinion.

When flight and duty times were under 121, any flying for compensation was considered to go against your 121 limits. There was plenty of chief consul opinions on this.

On January 4, 2014, 121 flight and duty times fall under 117, not 121 for passenger operations. FAR 117 is very clear in what counts toward the limits. Only 121, 135 or 91K counts. I have asked our CMO and they concur with this assessment. Yes, I know it is up to the chief consuls office to generate a formal opinion.
The Chief Counsel letter to Johnstone on point is dated February 2015 -- a year after the change to Part 117. I'd say your "CMO" needs to talk it over with the FAA Chief Counsel's office before advising company personnel to act contrary to that FAA letter.

The Chief Counsel letter to Johnstone on point is dated February 2015 -- a year after the change to Part 117. I'd say your "CMO" needs to talk it over with the FAA Chief Counsel's office before advising company personnel to act contrary to that FAA letter.

:nonod: :rolleyes2:

Rotor, if you have something to add I would like to hear it because based on my studying of the issue, I can't see where Ron is wrong.

Rotor, if you have something to add I would like to hear it because based on my studying of the issue, I can't see where Ron is wrong.

That I would believe.

Let's just say, that if the FAA operated like Ron wants you to believe, it would truly, truly be a f*cked up place beyond belief. :rolleyes:

Nice way of answering without answering.

I still think everyone is operating this under "Don't ask Don't Tell" rules. I think that a strong enough argument can be made in favor of the liberal interpretation, that is what they are going with. Until someone calls attention to it, it will never be challenged. When a pilot finally has an accident where it is determined duty times were violated due to instruction, then it will get challenged and clarified. I would assume that the union would have the pilot's back on this.

Apparently the only one interpreting it that way is ALPA because the interpretation that was rendered in February by the Chief Councel's office contradicts ALPA's.

"Certificate Management Office" :rolleyes:
Whoever they are, they should talk to the FAA Chief Counsel to be sure they're putting out the legally correct answers since the answer they gave is contrary to the answer the Chief Counsel put out less than two months ago.

Whoever they are, they should talk to the FAA Chief Counsel to be sure they're putting out the legally correct answers since the answer they gave is contrary to the answer the Chief Counsel put out less than two months ago.

:rolleyes2:

Since Ron can't figure out what a CMO does, let me help you.

The CMO (Certificate Management Office) has the oversight for a Part 121 carrier. It has a manager, assistant manager, a POI (Principal Operations Inspector) , assistant POI, an APM (Aircrew Program Manager) for each fleet, PMI (Principal Maintenance Inspector with PPM's (Partial Program Managers) under him, a PAI (Principal Avionics Inspector) with his PPM's, a Dispatch ASI and a Cabin ASI, along with several "Geographic Inspectors", DEPM (Data Entry Program Manager), some AST's (Aviation Safety Technicians) and ASA's (Aviation Safety Assistants) plus a few other support positions. IOW's this is a very structured office.

Now, the airline (or "stakeholder") comes to it's CMO and says " Hey, I want to know how you think this regulation reads?" And the office formulates an answer. If it's a complex situation, then the CMO will ask the Regional Counsel for a determination. If it's something the Regional guy wants guidance on, he then will contact the Chief Counsel's office.

And for every question asked on regulation at the CMO level they are not required to go to the Chief Counsel for an answer. Believe it or not, they can answer this at the local level.

Last edited:
After reading Part 117 more carefully, I see the problem here. The limitations in 121.471 are separate from those in Part 117, which provides no relief (and only additional limits) to the basic limits in Part 121 (which are the ones which included "other commercial flying" -- a term neither defined nor used in Part 117). Perhaps the people who wrote Part 117 had other intentions, but if so, they failed to incorporate them in the regulations when they launched Part 117, and the FAA Chief Counsel's office has said repeatedly that when the regulations as written conflict with the intentions of the authors of those regulations, the regulations as written are controlling.

Note especially that the last technical correction to Part 117 includes the following:
The regulatory text in § 117.3 has been corrected to clarify that if there is a conflict in definitions, the definitions in § 117.3 control only for purposes of the flight and duty limitations and rest requirements of part 117.
So, anything in Part 121 which is more limiting than Part 117 would not be superseded by the definitions in Part 117. In addition, the preamble to Part 117 makes clear that the FAA's intent with regard to 117.23 was to exempt only "personal flying".

So, if someone were to read Part 117 in isolation, someone might believe that "other commercial flying" outside a certificated 121/135 or 91K operator did not count. However, since nothing in Part 117 says that its rules are the only ones applicable to this issue, one cannot ignore other applicable regulations such as 121.471. Unless, of course, the FAA Chief Counsel says one can, although the letter from two months ago contains no such relief.

:rolleyes2:Now, the airline (or "stakeholder") comes to it's CMO and says " Hey, I want to know how you think this regulation reads?" And the office formulates an answer. If it's a complex situation, then the CMO will ask the Regional Counsel for a determination. If it's something the Regional guy wants guidance on, he then will contact the Chief Counsel's office.

And for every question asked on regulation at the CMO level they are not required to go to the Chief Counsel for an answer. Believe it or not, they can answer this at the local level.
Unfortunately, as the Chief Counsel has said repeatedly, answers from Regional Counsels without Chief Counsel review are not controlling and cannot supersede a Chief Counsel determination. On this particular issue, the Chief Counsel has already given a written answer and confirmed that answer only two months ago. So even if the regulations don't specifically require the CMO to ask the Chief Counsel what the regs mean, the company and its crews are still required to comply with the regulations as interpreted by the Chief Counsel.

So, as I said before, that CMO which told its crews that only Part 121/135/91K flying counts should really check further on this issue.

Last edited:
Is the CFI teaching, or flying in a com capacity?

If they do not need to be PIC why would they need to be "Flying in a Commercial Capacity" ?

Is the CFI teaching, or flying in a com capacity?

If they do not need to be PIC why would they need to be "Flying in a Commercial Capacity" ?
Neither of those questions is applicable, since the regulation doesn't use any of those terms, and the Chief Counsel says giving flight training for compensation is "other commercial flying" (the term actually used in the regulation).

Unfortunately, as the Chief Counsel has said repeatedly, answers from Regional Counsels without Chief Counsel review are not controlling and cannot supersede a Chief Counsel determination. On this particular issue, the Chief Counsel has already given a written answer and confirmed that answer only two months ago. So even if the regulations don't specifically require the CMO to ask the Chief Counsel what the regs mean, the company and its crews are still required to comply with the regulations as interpreted by the Chief Counsel.

So, as I said before, that CMO which told its crews that only Part 121/135/91K flying counts should really check further on this issue. Yes, it only counts for Part 117 purposes, but there are other regs outside Part 117 which must still be respected.

Please show us in guidance where anytime an individual or any entity has a questioned on a regulation, that before answering they must consult the Chief Counsel, and they are not to rely upon or ask Regional Counsel such questions.

Please show us in guidance where anytime an individual or any entity has a questioned on a regulation, that before answering they must consult the Chief Counsel,
Nothing says that. It's a free country, and you can do what you want, but you might get the wrong answer if you don't get the Chief Counsel's input.

and they are not to rely upon or ask Regional Counsel such questions.
See the Perry letter, Page 2, first paragraph. You can ask, and the RC can answer, but if the RC hasn't run it past the Chief Counsel for concurrence, the RC's answer is not completely reliable as the Chief Counsel may overrule it later.

Nothing says that.

Exactly. So if the CMO decides they will answer a question on something regulatory they are in their full rights to do so.

And speaking from a position of someone that previously worked through the processes, going over the Region directly to HQ (such as what you continually advocate) will land an Inspector in an office with a closed door meeting with his superior.

the Chief Counsel may overrule it late

Of course the Chief Counsel can overrule anyone. Heck, he overrules himself all the time!!

That's why it's important that Airpooler wins its lawsuit.

Exactly. So if the CMO decides they will answer a question on something regulatory they are in their full rights to do so.
No more and no less than I am within my rights to do the same -- and we know what your position on that is.

And speaking from a position of someone that previously worked through the processes, going over the Region directly to HQ (such as what you continually advocate) will land an Inspector in an office with a closed door meeting with his superior.
I didn't say anything about any Inspectors violating chain of command. If the CMO wants to work through their POI and RC to get an answer from the Chief Counsel (which is consistent with the guidance the head of Flight Standards gave that service in writing about nine years ago), mighty fine. However, I still believe it is unwise for someone outside the Chief Counsel's to give an answer about a regulation when that answer is contrary to existing Chief Counsel guidance on point -- which is the case here.

I didn't say anything about any Inspectors violating chain of command.

You continually imply it.

If the CMO wants to work through their POI and RC to get an answer from the Chief Counsel (which is consistent with the guidance the head of Flight Standards gave that service in writing about nine years ago), mighty fine. However, I still believe it is unwise for someone outside the Chief Counsel's to give an answer about a regulation when that answer is contrary to existing Chief Counsel guidance on point -- which is the case here.

Where is that guidance published? Order? Notice?

FAA publishes 100's and 100's of memos, to have weight they must be published into guidance.
The FAA doesn't need a regulation to require its employees to do what they've been told in writing to do. In any event, you're the one who said that an Inspector going over his/her boss' head to the Chief Counsel would get him/her ripped -- and it's this memo which tells them not to do that (along with the proper way to accomplish that). So which is it? You accept the statements in this memo as to how an Inspector obtains interpretations of the regulations, or you say it has no weight? You can't have it both ways.

Last edited:
The FAA doesn't need a regulation to require its employees to do what they've been told in writing to do. In any event, you're the one who said that an Inspector going over his/her boss' head to the Chief Counsel would get him/her ripped -- and it's this memo which tells them not to do that (along with the proper way to accomplish that). So which is it? You accept the statements in this memo as to how an Inspector obtains interpretations of the regulations, or you say it has no weight? You can't have it both ways.

The "chain of command" has been in place for many years and is in guidance.

The memo you mention is just that, a memo. You have attempted, repeatedly, to imply that Inspectors are not allowed to answer questions in regards to regulations without CC approval, and in the past you have thrown this memo out as your "proof". While the memo reiterates using a chain of command, it does not make it a requirement for every time a regulation is questioned to consult the CC.

The "chain of command" has been in place for many years and is in guidance.

The memo you mention is just that, a memo. You have attempted, repeatedly, to imply that Inspectors are not allowed to answer questions in regards to regulations without CC approval,
Nope. Again, you're reading into what I said things I never said.

Correct. The issue under discussion is only about flight time by Part 121 crewmembers outside their job counting against their daily/weekly/monthly/annual flight time limits in 121.471 and the like.

Ok, I think I finally have a handle on this. First off, 121.471 applies to cargo operations only. It has no bearing on 117 at all. The reference for that is 121.470.

On to the 117 part.

117.1 says, basically, that part 117 applies to all PASSENGER 121 operations. It supersedes any Flight Time/Duty Time limitations published in Part 121.

So, what about the Johnstone Interpretation dated February 3, 2015, you may ask (Ron)? If you carefully parse it, it covers two different areas. Paragraph 2 deals with 121 operations NOT covered by 117 and Paragraph 3 covers 121 operations that ARE covered by 117. 2 separate issues. 2 separate interpretations.

So, I am convinced that ALPA's interpretation regarding this issue and published in their document regarding flight time limits and rest requirements is accurate.

Bottom line? Commercial flying done outside of 121 Passenger or 91K does not count against the 1,000 hours cumulative flight time restrictions of part 117.

This is based on extensive discussions with the two lawyers that were primarily responsible for drafting the 117 regulations.

Back