Paper source for AFM updates?

David Loftus

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
dmloftus
Does anyone know of a source for a standard paper for printing out AFM updates? Diamond gives the following instructions with each AFM update:

Instructions:
- Print this document on 8.5 x 11 inch yellow paper (single-sided), centered in the
landscape orientation. This will print the document 8.5 inches high by 11 inches
wide.
- Cut the sheets to make the document 6 inches wide by trimming each side
proportionally.
- Punch the holes on the left side of each sheet.
- Insert this cover page as the first page of the AFM.
- Insert pages in front of the corresponiding page of the AFM.​

I can't believe every aircraft owner is manually trimming and punching paper for every AFM/POH update. Would appreciate anyone with a source for properly sized and punched paper.

I can't believe every aircraft owner is manually trimming and punching paper for every AFM/POH update. Would appreciate anyone with a source for properly sized and punched paper.
That doesn’t surprise me. It’s Diamond’s way of shifting costs to the customer.

Would appreciate anyone with a source for properly sized and punched paper.
Seems to me a local print shop could cut and punch a ream. You could hand them a copy of the file and have them print it for you as well.

Would appreciate anyone with a source for properly sized and punched paper.
Look for A5 sized journal or day planner sheets. I believe it is close to your dimensions and usually comes pre-punched with 6 holes.. However, we would usually just have a local print shop take care of this for larger jobs. Unfortunately not all AFM/RFMs use the same paper size or hole pattern.:rolleyes:

I'm not an owner... so manufacturers don't charge anything for the cost of printing and mailing out updates?
I have no idea. It’s just a theory on my part. I’ve never owned anything new enough that this was an issue.

so manufacturers don't charge anything for the cost of printing and mailing out updates?
I have no idea.
Most OEMs have gone to ePub subscriptions but it still costs. If you want paper you will have to print it in most cases. The previous hardcopy subscription services were getting quite expensive and the labor to update those hardcopy references was an issue too, at least on the rotorcraft side. Throw in the increased use of EFBs and the larger client requests for an electronic alternative the industry moved to ePubs in my opinion.

Most OEMs have gone to ePub subscriptions but it still costs. If you want paper you will have to print it in most cases. The previous hardcopy subscription services were getting quite expensive and the labor to update those hardcopy references was an issue too, at least on the rotorcraft side. Throw in the increased use of EFBs and the larger client requests for an electronic alternative the industry moved to ePubs in my opinion.
Sounds reasonable.

I'm not an owner... so manufacturers don't charge anything for the cost of printing and mailing out updates?

Im not sure how long the generosity continues for but Piper has always been pretty good about sending out flight manual updates to the registered owner on their newer aircraft. I haven’t seen any from Diamond, but I don’t really go looking for them either.

My supplemental AFMs are in a half size format. When I had to swap the 650 for the 650Xi, I took the full size one that I was given to Kinko's and they copied them to half size, then the cut the stack to the proper size. The cutting was free. they can punch them, but that costs. So I bought a 3 hole adjustable punch from Amazon.

Back