Owner Preventive Maintenance

Discussion in 'Maintenance Bay' started by AuntPeggy, Nov 4, 2017.

1. AuntPeggy

AuntPeggy Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Namaste
    14 CFR Part 43 Appendix A - C - 30.

I don't remember ever noticing the requirement for a certificate of competency before. I assume it is relatively new.

How does an owner obtain a certificate of competency for a Cessna 172 c?

2. SkyDog58

SkyDog58 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Old dog w/o new tricks
    You have a 172 certified in the primary category?

Ryanb likes this.
  3. JScarry

JScarry Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    JScarry
    Two separate issues. You can perform all of the tasks 1-29 and 31 on your aircraft.

§43.3 (g) Except for holders of a sport pilot certificate, the holder of a pilot certificate issued under part 61 may perform preventive maintenance on any aircraft owned or operated by that pilot which is not used under part 121, 129, or 135 of this chapter. The holder of a sport pilot certificate may perform preventive maintenance on an aircraft owned or operated by that pilot and issued a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category.

The part you quote only applies to performing work specified in a primary type certificate or STC as preventive maintenance. These tasks are presumably not listed in the preventive maintenance tasks 1-29 and 31 or they require procedures that do not conform to the rules in 1-29 and 31.

4. AuntPeggy

AuntPeggy Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Namaste
    What does primary category mean?

5. Bell206

Bell206 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bell206
    Auntie:
    Check out Part 21 for Primary Category definition. There are also several ACs on it. It is a Type Certificate category. It was the original "sport aircraft" attempt. If I recall it could only be used for recreational flying and had a max gross weight and other limitations. There was even a method to change a Standard Category aircraft to Primary but that would not be highly recommended.

6. SkyDog58

SkyDog58 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Old dog w/o new tricks

Well, it can get rather complicated, convoluted and confusing and the answer spans several regulations but here is one of them.
    FAA Advisory Circular AC 21-37 also covers it pretty well and I know there have been some industry articles by EAA & AOPA that attempt to explain it in more concise verbiage.

7. AuntPeggy

AuntPeggy Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Namaste
    OK, my ignorance was showing again. Thanks.