Owner Maintenance Basics

Frugal Pilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Frugal Pilot
"One thing all airplanes need is regular maintenance, even ones that don't fly much. A frugal pilot knows how much of that maintenance he or she can legally do and comfortably do. What preventive maintenance an owner-pilot can legally do on an aircraft is outlined in FAR Part 43.

In summary, you can service tires, landing gear struts, wheel bearings, and do some lubrication, make simple fabric and fairing patches, replenish hydraulic fluids, replace seats and safety belts, do simple landing-light maintenance, replace and gap spark plugs, replace non-hydraulic hose connections, clean or replace fuel and oil filters and service or replace batteries. Anything else requires direct supervision or work by a certified aircraft mechanic. Read Part 43 Appendix A (c) before starting.

It also requires that you make powerplant and/or airframe log entries with a description of the work, date of completion and the name of the person doing the work. A certified mechanic will add their A&P certificate number; you as the aircraft's registered owner or co-owner will include your pilot certificate number."

-- From THE FRUGAL PILOT: How to Fly on a Budget

Last edited:
"One things all airplanes need is regular maintenance, even ones that don't fly much. A frugal pilot knows how much of that maintenance he or she can legally do and comfortably do. What preventive maintenance an owner-pilot can legally do on an aircraft is outlined in FAR Part 43.

In summary, you can service tires, landing gear struts, wheel bearings, and do some lubrication, make simple fabric and fairing patches, replenish hydraulic fluids, replace seats and safety belts, do simple landing-light maintenance, replace and gap spark plugs, replace non-hydraulic hose connections, clean or replace fuel and oil filters and service or replace batteries. Anything else requires direct supervision or work by a certified aircraft mechanic. Read Part 43 Appendix A (c) before starting.

It also requires that you make powerplant and/or airframe log entries with a description of the work, date of completion and the name of the person doing the work. A certified mechanic will add their A&P certificate number; you as the aircraft's registered owner or co-owner will include your pilot certificate number."

No matter who, does the entry it must comply with 43.9

A certified mechanic will add their A&P certificate number; you as the aircraft's registered owner or co-owner will include your pilot certificate number."

To clarify that, when any maintainer does maintenance beyond their authorized capability, they must be supervised by a person authorized to do that work. That maintainer will make the entry returning the equipment to service, sign it with their pilot's number. then the supervisor must make the statement " under the supervision of" and sign it with their A&P certificate number.

The supervisor then takes responsibility and liability for the maintenance.

If it is broken and you fix it without any entry in the aircraft records it did not happen. Just do it and save yourself $$$ by someone who might know less than you. Experimental aircraft owners work and maintain their aircraft all the time without any unlimited know it all type of A&P certificate.

That would be incorrect. There would be a shared responsibility. The A&P is not required to stand over the person doing the work.
I believe that is your personal opinion and not one shared by FAA or the civil courts. But then it would be up to the lawyers.
The Reg: 43.3
(d) A person working under the supervision of a holder of a mechanic or repairman certificate may perform the maintenance, preventive maintenance, and alterations that his supervisor is authorized to perform, if the supervisor personally observes the work being done to the extent necessary to ensure that it is being done properly and if the supervisor is readily available, in person, for consultation. However, this paragraph does not authorize the performance of any inspection required by Part 91 or Part 125 of this chapter or any inspection performed after a major repair or alteration.

If it is broken and you fix it without any entry in the aircraft records it did not happen. Just do it and save yourself $$$ by someone who might know less than you. Experimental aircraft owners work and maintain their aircraft all the time without any unlimited know it all type of A&P certificate.
When the FAA can prove the aircraft was maintained by an unauthorized individual, they will pull the airworthiness certificate, and the owner will pay hell to get it back.

"Martin" ring a bell?

91.403 holds the owner/operator primarily responsible for maintaining that aircraft in airworthy condition. I would expect that responsibility is even more so when they perform their own maintenance, preventive maintenance. What would be the point in the owner/operator signing the logbook if the A&P took full responsibility?

This, along with numerous other posts on this website, is fine evidence that aircraft owner/operators perform undocumented maintenance. Why would any A&P want to work in general aviation ;(

91.403 holds the owner/operator primarily responsible for maintaining that aircraft in airworthy condition. I would expect that responsibility is even more so when they perform their own maintenance, preventive maintenance. What would be the point in the owner/operator signing the logbook if the A&P took full responsibility?

If this is what you are referring to,
91.403 General.

(a) The owner or operator of an aircraft is primarily responsible for maintaining that aircraft in an airworthy condition, including compliance with part 39 of this chapter

This is read by the FAA as meaning that the owner / operator must keep it legally airworthy. it does not mean the owner / operator must do it them selves. If / When a maintenance mistake causes damage as a result of working under the supervision, you can bet the FAA will say that the supervision was not completed well enough to comply with 43.3.

Here is another thought, The FAA regulations also require the owner / operator to insure the maintenance type place make the proper entries in the maintenance records. So when the owner maintains their aircraft under supervision, they get a double whammy, they are required under 43. to make the entry, plus they are required to insure the supervisor make their entry too.

And if an owner/operator, performing maintenance, hides something (in order to save himself a buck) that's the A&P's fault?
When a IA signs off the annual on any aircraft he signs for all the sins of those before him "Bill O'brien Faa"

Healthy discussion. I believe that when an owner, performing owner-allowed maintenance, signs off the task in the appropriate log book, the liability for that task falls to the owner, not the A&P who signs off the annual.

Healthy discussion. I believe that when an owner, performing owner-allowed maintenance, signs off the task in the appropriate log book, the liability for that task falls to the owner, not the A&P who signs off the annual.

How would anyone know the owner did it unless the IA/AP signs the book "supervised." Mine never signed my logs that way, and I did WAAAAY more than part 43 stuff.

I think that "supervised" refers to things the owner does that normally requires an A&P to do and/or signoff, not things the FAA allows owners to do and sign off.

A&Ps don't sign off annuals.

Jim

Either way, my IA doesn't sign my logbook saying who did what work. How would anyone know whether I did it, he did it, or a shop lackey did it?

If an owner performs owner-pilot maintenance allowed by FAA Part 43, he or she must log it and sign off with the pilot certificate number. That way the FAA, A&P-IA, and others know who did what.

A&Ps don't sign off annuals.

Jim

If they are A&P with Inspection Authorization they do.

From FAA form 8610-1 MECHANIC’S APPLICATION FOR INSPECTION AUTHORIZATION

5. HAVE YOU HELD A MECHANIC CERTIFICATE WITH BOTH AIRFRAME AND POWERPLANT RATINGS FOR THE 3
YEARS PRECEDING THE DATE OF THIS APPLICATION ?

(It copy & pasted in caps)

If an owner performs owner-pilot maintenance allowed by FAA Part 43, he or she must log it and sign off with the pilot certificate number. That way the FAA, A&P-IA, and others know who did what.

You're completely missing the point.
I do all sorts of maintenance that is not allowed for me to sign for under part 43 that my IA signs off on. It does not say in the logbooks that I did it, or his assistant did it, or that he personally did it. The last case being cylinder removal and installing new cylinders. I did the removal and reinstall - he signed the book. He did not sign the book that I did the work.

So how would anyone know WHO did the actual removal and reinstall?

The only thing I sign off on is oil changes. Everything else that is allowed, is usually done at annual, and gets one large umbrella sign off by the IA.

You're completely missing the point.
I do all sorts of maintenance that is not allowed for me to sign for under part 43 that my IA signs off on. It does not say in the logbooks that I did it, or his assistant did it, or that he personally did it. The last case being cylinder removal and installing new cylinders. I did the removal and reinstall - he signed the book. He did not sign the book that I did the work.

So how would anyone know WHO did the actual removal and reinstall?

The only thing I sign off on is oil changes. Everything else that is allowed, is usually done at annual, and gets one large umbrella sign off by the IA.

From the deposition after the fact before trial.......

Bob

Either way, my IA doesn't sign my logbook saying who did what work. How would anyone know whether I did it, he did it, or a shop lackey did it?
The person doing the work is supposed to sign the log entry. In the case of an owner/operator doing PM, their signature indicates they did the work and the same person returns the aircraft to service. If the person doing the work is not an A&P and the work is not preventive maintenance, a second signature of an A&P is needed which says s/he supervised the work and the A&P is returning the aircraft to service. I'd say that for supervised maintenance, the A&P is putting his ticket on the line when he signs that he supervised someone.

Yup....this is how I do it....

02/20/2016 3930.5TT, 252.5 Tach, 786.5 SMOH, 0-540 A1D5 SN L-9999-90

Supervised Harry Flaglemaster with the following maintenance actions - Replaced right magneto cam screw, woodruff keys and bearing seal. Cleaned, lubed, and timed. Performed operational check & inspected for leaks. Returned to service.

Harry Flaglemaster .......................................Happy Mechanic IA 325147854

A owner operator may take a aircraft apart to the last nut and bolt remove the engine and overhaul it to new specifications he may do all of that. Of course the plane will probably never be airworthy again, but the owner can do what he wants with his aircraft.

A owner operator may take a aircraft apart to the last nut and bolt remove the engine and overhaul it to new specifications he may do all of that. Of course the plane will probably never be airworthy again, but the owner can do what he wants with his aircraft.
If they did all that and then signed it off with a phone name and number how many FSDO airworthiness inspectors would catch it ?
They wouldn't even have reason to look until the smoking hole occurred.

Back