Overweight - Should I even waste my time?

Discussion in 'Medical Topics' started by Kanjc, Mar 11, 2021.

1. flyingcheesehead

flyingcheesehead Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    Nope - I've probably had a 3 or higher the entire time the FAA has been focused on apnea, and never "earned" the sleep study.

BMI is a load of crap anyway. It should be related to height *cubed*, not height *squared*, because we are three-dimensional.

2. flyingron

flyingron Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    Yes, but we're not cubes (or spheres).

Of course, it makes no allowance for actual body fat. If you're an athlete/body builder you can be way over the BMI number and not overweight/obese. The last time I was down to about 175 lbs (I'm 6'1"), I actually went and got into this thing called a "bod pod" which uses air pressure to determine my actual volume. To my chagrin it didn't really give me the imagined "it's all muscle" number I was envisioning.

3. flyingcheesehead

flyingcheesehead Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    Well, we're certainly not planar. Cylindrical is a pretty decent approximation if you're going for regular shapes.

There's a prof at Oxford (I think?) who has done numerical analysis on actual humans and advocated for the formula to change to 1.3 * mass / height ^2.5 which is certainly a better approximation.

4. WDD

WDD Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Vintage Snazzy (so my adult children say)
    1) I think you'd have trouble fitting in the Skyhawk and also having full movement of all flight controls, be able to manipulate the switches and levers on the panel, door lever, etc. But I don't know. Go to a flight school and ask if they'd take you as as student, and go sit in a plane. You'll probably need a seat belt extender.

2) No, you are not eating 500 calories a day for a year and not loosing weight.