Overweight - Should I even waste my time?

Welcome to the STOP BANG checklist: https://www.mdcalc.com/stop-bang-score-obstructive-sleep-apnea

I believe scoring 3 or more earns you the sleep study. My information could be out of date, or colored by my own saltiness over the whole affair -- it's been several years since I went through this SI process for my class 2.

You'll note "middle aged" + "fat" + "dude" = 3; add in a proportionate neck and you're at a 4. It's a wonder you're still alive according to this checklist.

Nope - I've probably had a 3 or higher the entire time the FAA has been focused on apnea, and never "earned" the sleep study.

BMI is a load of crap anyway. It should be related to height *cubed*, not height *squared*, because we are three-dimensional.

Nope - I've probably had a 3 or higher the entire time the FAA has been focused on apnea, and never "earned" the sleep study.

BMI is a load of crap anyway. It should be related to height *cubed*, not height *squared*, because we are three-dimensional.
Yes, but we're not cubes (or spheres).

Of course, it makes no allowance for actual body fat. If you're an athlete/body builder you can be way over the BMI number and not overweight/obese. The last time I was down to about 175 lbs (I'm 6'1"), I actually went and got into this thing called a "bod pod" which uses air pressure to determine my actual volume. To my chagrin it didn't really give me the imagined "it's all muscle" number I was envisioning.

Yes, but we're not cubes (or spheres).

Well, we're certainly not planar. Cylindrical is a pretty decent approximation if you're going for regular shapes.

There's a prof at Oxford (I think?) who has done numerical analysis on actual humans and advocated for the formula to change to 1.3 * mass / height ^2.5 which is certainly a better approximation.

1) I think you'd have trouble fitting in the Skyhawk and also having full movement of all flight controls, be able to manipulate the switches and levers on the panel, door lever, etc. But I don't know. Go to a flight school and ask if they'd take you as as student, and go sit in a plane. You'll probably need a seat belt extender.

2) No, you are not eating 500 calories a day for a year and not loosing weight.

So, I was put on metformin for prediabetes, put my caloric intake to 500-750 per day and started going bonkers on the workouts. Good news is I am down 115lbs since august, bad news is I think I am still too big for flight school. So the question is now, how small do i need to be to schedule a discovery flight? I currently have a 56" chest and 40" waist.

So, I was put on metformin for prediabetes, put my caloric intake to 500-750 per day and started going bonkers on the workouts. Good news is I am down 115lbs since august, bad news is I think I am still too big for flight school. So the question is now, how small do i need to be to schedule a discovery flight? I currently have a 56" chest and 40" waist.

That is amazing! My hat is off to you ... :happydance:

I replaced plenty of cracked seat rails. Sent out plenty of cracked seat frames for repair. Found bent and broken seat parts. Cessna designed those seats and rails in the '50s and '60s for the average 170 lb. pilot. People twice that big were not common at all.

The '96 and on Cessnas have completely different rails and seats. Built like bridges snd really stout. They"re one of the reasons the empty weights took a huge jump.

Just go to a flight school and tell them you want a flight. Stop arguing with yourself over whether you'll fit, you aren't very good at it because you get the wrong answer. Try a few schools if you need to. You are probably not a candidate for a 152, but there are planes that will easily accommodate you and schools that would love you as a student. Quit wasting time, you've worked too hard.

Congratulations on all the hard work and the results that have followed. Keep it up!

I have a 40" waist and I don't have any trouble fitting in flight school aircraft. As for your chest size, I think one of the instructors at my club is that big, and I'm pretty sure that his waist is bigger than yours.

Everyone was skinny in the old days.

4941B3C4-F93A-404C-BEF8-B271188E49F7.jpeg 7516ECAC-E092-4E5C-825E-C90BACE1384B.jpeg 22F26A10-6548-4565-BCA9-2525443CF789.jpeg 7C3AAA28-3E64-48B0-B904-694E9A48AA06.jpeg A7EAAFE9-930C-4A60-B190-5016F1B1C9C0.jpeg 78DCCE14-39CE-496A-A032-1043B90BBC81.jpeg23B57166-6F47-49B0-A80E-79E7AEDFBA2D.jpeg

Heck, aunt Bea was even a pilot.

Just go to a flight school and tell them you want a flight. Stop arguing with yourself over whether you'll fit, you aren't very good at it because you get the wrong answer. Try a few schools if you need to. You are probably not a candidate for a 152, but there are planes that will easily accommodate you and schools that would love you as a student. Quit wasting time, you've worked too hard.

Exactly. He should find a school with 172s.

Great job!! I’m going to give you a piece of unsolicited advice: When you hit your target weight, do NOT go back to eating what you used to. Smaller body means less fuel is needed. A lot of people go back to their previous diets, gain weight, and think weight loss doesn’t work. It does, if you see the changes as lifestyle changes rather than temporary.

I used to be 400 pounds, and kicked my ass into gear. 140 now. :) Holding for well over a decade. It’s hard, but doable.

The best way to get answers on this, though, will be to go to some schools and ask.

Great job!! I’m going to give you a piece of unsolicited advice: When you hit your target weight, do NOT go back to eating what you used to. Smaller body means less fuel is needed. A lot of people go back to their previous diets, gain weight, and think weight loss doesn’t work. It does, if you see the changes as lifestyle changes rather than temporary.

I used to be 400 pounds, and kicked my ass into gear. 140 now. :) Holding for well over a decade. It’s hard, but doable.

The best way to get answers on this, though, will be to go to some schools and ask.

Ed, I never thought you were overweight.

So i am nearly done with my part 61 ground school and I am getting ready to make an appointment with an AME. Problem is I am 5'7" and over 350lbs, even when I am in great shape i still weigh around 200lbs. I am 49, I do not have diabetes, blood pressure issues, sleep apnea and pulse is usually around 65. The question is - am i going to fail my medical because i'm fat? Will i even fit in the training aircraft when i do my discovery flight have wasted my time and money studying for my written?

Thank you for all the input, I would like to clarify something for the folks that say "just lose weight" - I am a former weightlifter and competitive martial artist and was actively doing so until I blew my knees out doing the Spartan OCR. I eat less than 20 carbs a day, less than 500 calories a day and have for over a year. I do not eat anything with sugar in it or even added salt. The closest i get to sugar is what is naturally in Jameson and even that is rare. With my job I walk about 5 miles a day and I do a cardio workout before work each morning ( Elliptical, Rowing and Bag work) with weights in the evening. It is not about cutting back food. I understand though now that unless I find a way to get rid of the weight trying to get my PPL is pointless. Again I truly appreciate all the feedback and insight.

Hmmmmmm... Dx, get your thyroid tested. Just saying

That’s not to big to fly. I’m the same and just renewed my first class.

I have been reading all the posts. Lots of good advice here. I wanted to go LSA, it fits the mission but I doesn’t fit me. I’m 6ft 270(weightlifter). Have been for 25 years. For folks wanting to maintain after losing weight one of the easier ways is to focus on large muscles. Not bulging biceps and huge traps but legs, back, chest. Those muscles grow quickly, especially legs, and due to their size they burn lots of calories. Even while doing nothing. You don’t have to kill yourself in the gym to build a healthy amount of muscle, bulging biceps and huge traps is a different and more difficult process. And the damn BMI chart! Unless your on Dr Nowzardens tv show I wouldn’t even look at that thing. It just beats you up mentally, unless your a runner you will never really measure up the what the chart says. Anyway just my two cents worth. Big muscles burn big calories.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back