Outdoor grills...

Kritchlow

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kritchlow
Do you clean your grill racks after every use? If not, how often?

How often to you tear apart you grill the clean the internals??

Just curious, as this seems to vary quit a bit.

yes, that plus once a year I do a big scrub/hose out of the thing. next year I may need to replace a couple of burners, but we'll see. a heavy duty cover can keep it looking new for years if you care about that (I do).

For my outdoor kitchen grill, I just clean the grates with a little metal scrubby thing after use. It's due for a deeper cleaning.

The pig cooker I take a big assed flame thrower (the same I use to light off the thing to start with) and burn off most of the crud.

I buy a new one every couple years. Mine tend to rust quickly.

I clean the grill racks before each use because I use a nylon grill brush. Supposedly it's better for the racks. The heat takes care of the microbes. I think. The inside gets cleaned as needed, which usually means when the grease cup is full.

Rich

Every spring I take it completely apart to scrape off any grease and other crud that collects in all the nooks and crannies. I'll brush dust and whatever out of all the burner holes, clean out and spider webs from the air intakes, and replace the drip pan with a clean one. I wire-brush the grates top as thoroughly as I can, then I put it all back together and crank up the heat as high as it will go and let it set that way for 20-30 minutes before I turn it off.

Normal use: I preheat on high, scrape the grates, set the temp where I want it, and cook,

Doesn't preheating the grill take care of all the bad stuff? LOL
Charcoal, pretty much. Gas, not so much.

Also depends on whether the previous cooking was with sauce/marinade or if it was merely dry-rubbed for a smoke/sear. For the latter, I just hit it with the wire brush after the preheat and before the food goes on then again after the food comes off and while the grate is still hot.

I just scrub mine with a grill brush before next use. Even the best grills need some work due to rot after 4-5 years.

Fire it up on all four burners, Let it smoke a bit, hit it with the wire brush, smokes a little more. Once it hits 450 or so, smoke dies down, Meat on!

When I am done grilling, I let it cool down and spray the inside with PAM spray. I was going through 1 set of grill grates a year due to rust till doing this. Two years on the same set and they still look new.

Spritz with clean water while smoking hot and the crusted gunk comes right off with a grill brush.

Never. Never wash my coffee mug either.

Never. Never wash my coffee mug either.

I was at a recruiting command for a while, and there was a SWO LCDR who had a mug he was super proud of, it hadn't been washed since he joined the service. A female butter bar arrived who was TDY for a few weeks, and she thought it would be a great idea to wash his filthy mug for him, so she did. It shined like brand new!

He nearly lost it.

I brush before each use. I blow it out in the spring when I clean the deck.

I used to clean Weber grills but I quit years ago because it it just makes a mess of the sink and seems pointless. Now I just give it a quick brush over the coals.

When I fire up the charcoal grill I'll scrape the grate after it's gotten nice and hot. On the Weber smoker I'll set the cooking grates on top of the chimney and burn off and scrape off whatever is left over from the last cook.

I scrape mine with a metal brush before each use after it gets good and hot. That is with a cheapo Weber kettle charcoal grill. Bought the thing 4 years ago and can’t belive it hasn’t fallen apart yet.

I buy a new one every couple years. Mine tend to rust quickly.
Not only this, but buying a brand new grill (which is perfectly designed to fail after 26 months) and assembling it is a Man's job. And it's one of the reasons we need a truck. Not just to pick up the new one, but to haul the old one to the dump. And the old one is perfectly good with the exception of like a burner or igniter or some other ridiculous thing that doesn't seem to have a replacement part. Its like the burners are handmade like a Armani suit or a Bentley.

Pro Tip: take the end you cut off an onion and rub it on the grill prior to loading the meat onto it. It will help prevent sticking.

Not only this, but buying a brand new grill (which is perfectly designed to fail after 26 months) and assembling it is a Man's job. And it's one of the reasons we need a truck. Not just to pick up the new one, but to haul the old one to the dump. And the old one is perfectly good with the exception of like a burner or igniter or some other ridiculous thing that doesn't seem to have a replacement part. Its like the burners are handmade like a Armani suit or a Bentley.
Dude, charcoal.

Funny you should ask, I just cleaned my portable grill the other day, I last used it at Oshkosh 17.

I was at a recruiting command for a while, and there was a SWO LCDR who had a mug he was super proud of, it hadn't been washed since he joined the service. A female butter bar arrived who was TDY for a few weeks, and she thought it would be a great idea to wash his filthy mug for him, so she did. It shined like brand new!

He nearly lost it.

LMAO. It was in the Navy I picked up that habit. At North Island a newbie thought it would be a nice gesture to wash everyone’s mug. I doubt if she can wash a cup to this day without having flashbacks

Back