Ordered Fabric

Fabric is on Side #2. Initial shrink looks really nice. I need to rustle up some 2" tape to finish the job, then it is on to the UV/Filler coat.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC03672.JPG
    DSC03672.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 80
we're sanding by hand, so dust isnt really flying everywhere.
Take it from a guy who has worked with wood in occupation and advocation for several decades...you may think there isn't dust. With all respect, that is a typical noob mistake, that if it aint PM10 or something then it must be okay. And AND...you don't know what you're breathing...40 yr old shellac maybe?

Still don't believe it? Go run a finger over the table top or a smooth horizontal surface. That is what is coating your innards.

And it aint only the size of the particle but the angularity of the dust particle. It's the gift that keeps on giving. Should we talk about the sensitivity of soft tissue to certain dust contaminants?

Wear a mask.

i've cut out the broken pieces of wood and tonight cut new pieces. just need to get the garage warm enough to do some epoxying.

I have a Kerosene heater you can borrow.

kerosene is smelly and expensive. i looked around today for some infrared propane heaters but after the cold snap down here all the stores are sold out of the good space heaters. apt. complex is still dragging their feet on putting in electricity but once they do im covering the garage in R Board and getting an oil filled electric heater.

I missed this a while back, but, show me the failure criteria for ceconite.
Ask the folks at Randolph... I don't know. But here's what I do know:

Factories and distributors don't leave unfinished polyester fabric (like Ceconite and Poly-Fiber) out in the sun, and all covering systems- including Ceconite-based systems- require a layer of something to protect the fabric from UV radiation when one installs it on an aircraft. Now, maybe they're just trying to sell paint with powdered aluminum in it, but I'll bet a dollar that UV is harmful, to some extent, to raw polyester weaves. It's pretty good at destroying most things, given direct exposure over enough time.
Not an expert, just applying common sense, and the covering-up thing, as I stated, was just the advice given me. Might be overkill, but protecting stored fabric simply makes more sense than exposing it, IMHO.

Ask the folks at Randolph... I don't know. But here's what I do know:

Factories and distributors don't leave unfinished polyester fabric (like Ceconite and Poly-Fiber) out in the sun, and all covering systems- including Ceconite-based systems- require a layer of something to protect the fabric from UV radiation when one installs it on an aircraft. Now, maybe they're just trying to sell paint with powdered aluminum in it, but I'll bet a dollar that UV is harmful, to some extent, to raw polyester weaves. It's pretty good at destroying most things, given direct exposure over enough time.
Not an expert, just applying common sense, and the covering-up thing, as I stated, was just the advice given me. Might be overkill, but protecting stored fabric simply makes more sense than exposing it, IMHO.

I'd bet the sun isn't good for any fabric, but there is no punch test for ceconite

The Maule tester is for cotton, and the instructions for its use do not mention ceconite.

kerosene is smelly and expensive. i looked around today for some infrared propane heaters but after the cold snap down here all the stores are sold out of the good space heaters. apt. complex is still dragging their feet on putting in electricity but once they do im covering the garage in R Board and getting an oil filled electric heater.

Just keep the door closed so the inspectorati doesn't see the exposed R-Board...or use foil faced batt insulation.

Trapper John

I'd bet the sun isn't good for any fabric, but there is no punch test for ceconite

The Maule tester is for cotton, and the instructions for its use do not mention ceconite.
Aha, my bad- I missed your point. That has me wondering- what criteria is used for such fabric, other than "it looks like it's time to replace this"? :D

Aha, my bad- I missed your point. That has me wondering- what criteria is used for such fabric, other than "it looks like it's time to replace this"? :D

That's pretty much it....... Polyfiber has a method of trying to pull the paint off with tape.

The paint is what actually fails with the new ceconite systems, they will show you cracking and peeling long before the ceconite will be harmed.

see my web page, that is a worse case demo.

http://www.whidbey.com/fairchild-nc19143/id21.htm

Attachments

• Fairchild Restoration 053.jpg
    Fairchild Restoration 053.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Fairchild Restoration 054.jpg
    Fairchild Restoration 054.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Fairchild Restoration 051.jpg
    Fairchild Restoration 051.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 7
  • Fairchild Restoration 059.jpg
    Fairchild Restoration 059.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
we ate breakfast with the CAF wing.

The trailer is covered! pictures later. we got a lot of work done today, it was great having 6 people there to help out.

OK i've updated the blog with a post about the "Akasegelflugzeuganhangar" trailer party. Here is one picture:

attachment.php

It looks great!

Attachments

• left done.jpeg
    left done.jpeg
    20.8 KB · Views: 164
after spending the weekend at the SSA Convention staring at Dean Gradwell's beautiful Cherokee II I decided to go ahead and cut out the shelf in front of the spar. So, I made the first cuts last night and started to clean up the edges before it got too cold. Leah and I also worked on trimming up the box I made to hold the Transponder in place. then it got too cold to work. no pictures of the missing shelf yet but i'll try to get some tonight

pictures of the missing shelf are up on the blog. going to get a few more hours of cleanup work in this afternoon before the super bowl

Nice. What does cutting out the shelf gain you? Reduced weight? Something more?

it will save a tad bit of weight but really it doesn't weigh much. every little bit counts though. Mainly I think it will allow me to recline a bit more and make the seating a little more comfortable. Needless to say I was not a standard size adult back in the 50's when the glider was designed or the 60's when it was built.

it will save a tad bit of weight but really it doesn't weigh much. every little bit counts though. Mainly I think it will allow me to recline a bit more and make the seating a little more comfortable. Needless to say I was not a standard size adult back in the 50's when the glider was designed or the 60's when it was built.

I wasn't a standard size adult then either. Still aren't!

I'm sure you considered this,but it seems odd that that shelf had no structural importance...why would anybody add unnecessary weight to a glider, for storage aft of the seat?
Is this a typical Cherokee feature, or did someone just add it due to an urgent need for a place to park their fedora when they go gliding? :D

it was originally designed as a place to hold a barograph and I did put a lot of brain power and asked a lot of people smarter than I am about if it was structural or not before it went under the knife. It also helped that I know of several other Cherokee's without the shelf that have flown or are flying. The spar is right behind the shelf and is a pretty massive piece of wood and has much stronger attachments to the fuselage frame.

tonight i built a couple sets of wing stands and got the wings moved into the garage. tomorrow the fabric starts to come off of them!

the wings are open. They look pretty good in general. I did find some rotten wood in the plywood out near the tip of the right wing so I started taking it out to replace it. Weather was great here today and it was nice to get a good 5 or so hours of work in on the glider. I need more days like this.

today it was cold and windy so i stayed inside. Leah and I uncovered both ailerons while watching the Daytona 500. I've got one of the ailerons covered up again. Went pretty smoothly, will have to start working on the other one tomorrow. More warmish weather coming this week so I'm looking forward to getting mor work done on the wings.

replaced the lower wing skin on the right wingtip. Leah and I got it epoxied and put some weight on it last night. It was a balmy 55 or so yesterday in ICT but got a little chillier overnight. I've got an oil filled radiator electric heater that I put under the wing which seemed to keep plenty of warm air on the curing part. Checked on it this morning and it looks like it turned out good! Needs a little sanding and touchup but it should be OK. pictures up tonight hopefully.

replaced the lower wing skin on the right wingtip. Leah and I got it epoxied and put some weight on it last night. It was a balmy 55 or so yesterday in ICT but got a little chillier overnight. I've got an oil filled radiator electric heater that I put under the wing which seemed to keep plenty of warm air on the curing part. Checked on it this morning and it looks like it turned out good! Needs a little sanding and touchup but it should be OK. pictures up tonight hopefully.

C'mon already! ;)

i was out in the garage the other night but forgot to take a picture. its cold outside. maybe tomorrow :)

second aileron is covered. updates and pictures are up on the blog.

this weekend i kept working on some filler work on the right wingtip and replaced a section of plywood that covers the root rib on the left wing. tonight i'm going to start brushing wood sealant and varnish. Hoping to start gluing fabric this weekend!

Lookin' good... but brace yourself... you will soon experience what I went through with the 2-33: More and more nice soaring days, and the glider still not ready!! :mad2:

It will be worth it, though. :yesnod:

yea that is probably going to happen. the good news is though, that the wind blows so damn hard here in the spring that there really isn't a lot of soaring until late may or so. I better be done by then.

Tonight Leah and I cleaned up the wings and brushed a coat of Stewart's Wood Sealant on the plywood leading edges and everything else that we sanded. Both wings were done by (a late) supper. Then I went back out and mixed up some Stitts Epoxy Varnish (stinky!) and varnished the new wood in the right wing root as well as the left wing root and the new wood in the fuselage. It looks pretty but I didn't have a camera.

tonight leah, harry, and i finished riveting the trailer. harry had made some covers for the leading edge to help keep the rain out. had a few more holes left to drill, then un cleco'd everything, ran silicone caulk all over the place and riveted the pieces in place. should work nicely. So now the trailer should be completely sealed up. It's sitting in my parking lot now. Tomorrow we'll load up the wings and hit up the Yard Store for some supplies and work on making some adapters so I can mount the wings on an engine stand (at the root) and a pivot at the tip. Then the whole works goes over to a friends basement for fabric work this weekend.

Back