Ordered Fabric

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
just put in an order with Aircraft Spruce. Still working on getting shop space secured but I think I'll be able to find something. goal is to get as much of the glider recovered as possible before April 1. Hopefully all of it. Will probably depend on how much stuff is broken when I open it up. hopefully not much.

watch out for the ever helpful person walking by and offering "ya know, while you are at it, you should...."

I will have enough problems with that mindset on my own, let alone from other helpful people.

Good luck, Tony!
I'm looking forward to reading your updates. (There WILL be updates, won't there?) Would love to learn more about the process and see some first-hand accounts.

Good to hear! Keep up the good work and keep us all posted.

there will be updates and pictures. first i have to find a place to work.

or just rent a garage...lol. i think im going to be able to get some shop space from a friend. just waiting for him to make up his mind.

You are just jealous that your wife's plane looks better than yours,... LOL!

Good luck! Did you ever post a pic of your finished panel?

well, the panel isnt really finished...lol

I bought the lightweight dacron from Aircraft Spruce. Its so nice to be experimental, fabric is half the cost.

Im going to use the Stewart finishing system. One of the local guys is using it on his wood/fabric Ka2 2 seater. He is getting really good results.

Im going to use the Stewart finishing system.
snip

He is getting really good results.

Atta Boy, it is the lightest also.

A trick, thin the first coat and put it on with a foam roller (very lightly) and allow it to dry before you apply the other coats, they want 8 coats, I use 3.

Always use distilled water, their stuff does not like chemicals in the water.

get their red soap (cleaner) and etching solution too. and clean your spray guys and other equipment very well.

Put a very good quality air filter on the air supply too.

Last edited:
What kind of minimum shop temperatures do you need for the Stewart system?

Trapper John

i seem to recall 60-70. the shop space im looking at will be heated anyway...

What kind of minimum shop temperatures do you need for the Stewart system?

Trapper John

Ecofil is air dried, just keep it from freezing.

top coat is a chemical cross linked poly, which is water borne, keep it from freezing until the water gets out.

the warmer the better to increase the evaporation process.

fabric is here. I think i've found a place to do the work, need to check on it tomorrow. hopefully starting work this weekend if all goes well.

Do you have all the tools?

ive got some stuff but im sure im going to have to buy a fair amount of stuff.

well im going to rent a garage from my apartment place. it will be big enough to slide in the fuselage and wings and leave a little room to work. im going to go out to the glider tonight and take the rudder off and will start taking the fabric off it. Make it my "test piece" then move on to the fuselage.

So rudder, fuselage, tail, wings to get the job done?

yea, in approximately that order. we'll see how it goes. if the fuselage goes fast ill start working on the wings. but i am not against waiting till next winter to do the wings so that i can for sure get flying next spring. It really depends on how many problems show up after I remove the fabric.

Yeah, funny how those "while I was there" things can add up...

2631d1206035227-completely-disassembled-car-disassembled.jpg

Hopefully it'll all go smoothly and you'll get the job done this winter.

there is a rudder in my living room. planning to start cutting fabric tomorrow night. also going to give a call to Stewart Systems tomorrow and get an order placed for the first round of stuff that I need.

Picture:

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC03207.JPG
    DSC03207.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 133
that is the original rudder. tonight it goes under the knife.

Just ordered some stuff from Stewart Systems. Wood Sealant, Glue and the UV Block/Fill layer. still will need to get the top coat paint but I think I will wait until the next paycheck to order that.

Took the fabric off the rudder tonight. It was a piece of cake, came right off.

attachment.php

There was a little damage on the top of the rudder that I knew about. Call it "Trailer Rash". This piece is balsa and will be easy to replace I think.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC03211.JPG
    DSC03211.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC03216.JPG
    DSC03216.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 122
yea, and the pictures really do not do it justice. the guys who built this glider did a great job.

Looks like a fun project... almost makes me want to strip the 2-33 and do it all over again. :D

Take your time, don't fret about getting "sidetracked" to fix stuff (you'll thank yourself later), and try not to cry the first time a bird poops on your gorgeous new fabric (I almost did). :rolleyes:

The trailing edge and the ribs on the rudder actually have strips of fiberglass over them. Will need to clean everything up...

The trailing edge and the ribs on the rudder actually have strips of fiberglass over them. Will need to clean everything up...

The new fabric will be on for a long time, be sure the structure is prefect.

It takes a little more time to do it, but it's worth it.

Richard - good idea, but i'll run the wires into the vertical stabilizer :)

Actually might put a nice dipole antenna in the vertical while I have it opened up.

Today I moved the fuselage into my garage. Didn't have time to take any fabric off it though. I did take a knife to the rudder and cut the balsa cap off. Tomorrow I'll pick up some balsa stock to make a new cap. Shouldn't take too much to get the area cleaned up and ready to glue the new wood on.

Local wood glider guy took a look at the rudder today and liked what he saw. Hopefully the rest of the glider is just as good. Based on what I've seen, I think it is.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC03220.JPG
    DSC03220.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 99
Back