Ordered Fabric

today Leah, Jesse, Nick, and I worked on the wings and at the moment the bottoms of each wing are finished. Tomorrow we will close up the wings by glueing on the top fabric. Photos tomorrow night, maybe.

wings are covered. here is a time lapse video from yesterday.

Photos and weekend report is on the blog.

That guy in the green shirt seems to be doing all the work....:)
Camera didn't show much of Leah and I working on the other wing the entire time. lol.

Camera didn't show much of Leah and I working on the other wing the entire time. lol.

So is the glider going to fly lopsided when it's complete? ;)

been a while since i posted an update. The fuselage has been varnished and sealed, and is ready for fabric. Last night I mounted the oxygen bottle and battery. Today Nick came over and helped me mount the microphone and speaker. We also put the music input jack in the panel and soldered the microphone wires into the radio wires. I need to do some zip tieing and whatnot to clean up the rats nest a little.

Tomorrow is supposed to be warm so once I get done with the real job I'll start working on glueing fabric on one side of the fuselage. Hope to get it at least glued in place before the glider group safety meeting at 7:30.

never did get a chance to put fabric on the fuselage BUT ive moved the glider to a shop at the gliderport. Neal has a pretty decent space there and a paint booth set up. starting tonight we'll cover the fuselage and start the painting process over the weekend. supposed to be in the 70's next week!

sides and top are on the fuselage. still need to cover the wing roots, do some reinforcing on the nose, run tapes, burn some drain holes, and do a final shrink on everything and then it will be done. probably take half of tomorrow or so. Going to put Leah to work doing the UV/Fill brush coats on the control surfaces and wings.

Looking good... the very curvy parts can be a little scary, eh? :D

A fiberglass nose saves a lot of that work and worry... but not if it, too, needs restoration. :frown2:

Last edited:
yea i was starting to imagine having to tear the whole side off the glider and start over. or have a massive slit with a tape out in the middle of the nose. not cool.

yesterday we finished up the fuselage (save a little bit of tape at the wing roots) and started priming stuff. Leah and I did the first coat of primer on the rudder, ailerons, and left wing. Tonight we'll try to get the right wing done and go over the fuselage so that it will be ready for primer tomorrow!

yea i was starting to imagine having to tear the whole side off the glider and start over. or have a massive slit with a tape out in the middle of the nose. not cool.
No, the nose is not a place where you want to have ugliness. :D

There will be a strip of tape over the seam, anyway, right? You probably know this, but if not, you'll thank me- for curves like that, don't even think about using "straight" tape- the bias-cut tape will make it easy, though.

Another thing I just remembered is that for curved edges, it helps (with the fabric) to shape it a bit along that edge with the iron before you even glue it. That "trick" worked very well for us with even the small-radius rounded edges of the 2-33's tail feathers... gives you a little less puckering, etc. in that area as you shrink it.

There is tape at the edges of the fabric, along the nose and down onto the skid. I was glueing to the lower left longeron though and the slack was mostly building up there. No tape there as there is no seam.

I've done plenty of "pre shrink" to help the fabric turn the corner but I was getting towards my limit on that.

I've also learned that pretty much any wrinkles or crooked seams are going to show right through the tape anyway so you better make it pretty to begin with, if you want it to look pretty when you're done.

So is that why you keep putting shark mouths on noses??? :D
I think it's pretty. :D

Besides, it needed something... once we repaired the nose and painted everything white, the glider looked like a giant sex toy with wings. :skeptical:

I guess a tasteful stripe would have been nice... but this club, well, we're not really tasteful. :D

i have a friend in tennessee who painted a pawnee with a sharks mouth. would look really nice towing your 2-33

sides and top are on the fuselage. still need to cover the wing roots, do some reinforcing on the nose, run tapes, burn some drain holes, and do a final shrink on everything and then it will be done. probably take half of tomorrow or so. Going to put Leah to work doing the UV/Fill brush coats on the control surfaces and wings.

When I rebuilt my 1-26, I did a flight with it just in silver and had not yet burned in the drain holes. But it was a great day and it was so close to flyable I just couldn't not fly it after working on of for 15 months.

It turned in to a great flight of about 3 hrs and my longest out and return distance to date in the 1-26. But on the return flight I ended up flying through some heavy rain. I made it back which was great because some of the glass ships did not, although they obviously went farther out than I did.

After a landing I rolled it back into the shop and burnt drain holes where all the puddles of water were in the back of the glider. I didn't have very good or any seals on the canopy and turtle deck yet so I had accumlated probably over a gallon of water.

Sure made it easy to see where the drain holes were required :)

Brian

interesting method!

last night we finished up taping the fuselage and got the right wing primed. tonight the goal is to prime the fuselage

been a while since i updated i guess. either that or i've been working a lot. we got the first coat of primer on the fuselage and the elevator covered and primed and all the stuff like inspection covers and wing root fairings cleaned up.

last night i sprayed the first cross coat of primer on everything. sunday night i'll do 2 more cross coats of primer and we'll see how it looks. If everything is looking good we'll start top coat on monday and into tuesday and wedensday if needed.

condition inspection is scheduled for april 12.

we did the cross coats on sunday but i ran out of the white primer before I was finished with the left wing so we called it a night. thankfully neal had an extra gallon of the stuff so tonight I finished priming everything. Nick came out to help and sanded the fuselage and right wing, and then I mixed the topcoat and sprayed the fuselage and right wing. The paint went on just as advertised and the finish seems pretty good. not the most beautiful paint job in the world but it does have a bit of a shine to it. Looks fairly good if you stand back a bit. So pretty much as expected.

I'll spray the left wing and control surfaces tomorrow. Wednesday we'll tape it all up and spray the stripes and lettering. Getting close!

well its been a while since i updated here. we got the rest of the fuselage painted tuesday, but wed. was cold so i didnt want to shoot the striping. however i discovered when i got there that apparently i had forgotten the last and most important coat of paint on the rudder so i cranked up the heat and re sprayed the tail surfaces. We also put the templates on the fuselage for the N numbers and did a little work on aileron seals that night. Last night I finished taping off the stripes and covering the rest of the fuselage. Then I shot the Pontiac Red paint. the job turned out pretty good. My lines aren't razor sharp but they look decent. I had one spot on the wing where i got just a touch of overspray. must've been a pinhole in the plastic or something.

we also instaled seatbelts and routed some wiring and stuff last night. got the pitot line hooked up. I've got a few other things to do but should be OK for the condition inspection on monday.

:needpics:

Tony post some photos I can't wait to see it. I'll also be interested to see the difference in weight after its weighed.

adam i posted a bunch of pictures last night on the blog. ive been too busy working to keep up on the documentation.

here is a crappy cell phone pic of the N number and stripe on the rudder. better pics on monday i'm sure. and hopefully some pics of it inflight by mid next week.

attachment.php

Attachments

• downsized_0408002232.jpg
    downsized_0408002232.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 85
last night the condition inspection went fine. we assembled and weighed the glider as well. totals came out at 330 lbs on the main gear and 30 lbs on the tail. the last time it was weighed, in early 2005, it was 395 lbs total. a major improvement. the weight loss was chiefly (I think) due to using slightly lighter weight fabric (1.7 oz vs 2.0 oz) and the previous paint job vs. new. Previously the fabric was doped, which is, I understand, a pretty heavy process. Then in 2003 or 2004 the glider had a coat of Poly Fiber rejuvinator and a coat of Poly Fiber topcoat painted onto it. Supposedly the Stewart Systems process that I used is lighter than poly fiber which is lighter than dope, and I did a few things that made it as light as possible. 1, I brushed on 2 cross coats of the UV Blocking charcoal EkoFill but the rest of the spray coats of primer were the non UV blocking White. I suspect that the white is slightly lighter because it doesnt have the UV blocking particles in it. Most importantly, I sprayed the topcoat on very lightly. Not entirely intentionally but between struggling to see how much I was spraying thanks to the off white topcoat on white base plus a bit of over paranoia about not putting it on too thick to avoid finish problems. Not to mention that because of the white base I didn't NEED to put on a super thick coat of topcoat. The finish is certainly not a glossy museum quality job, but it is light!

I'll recheck the weighing tonight. I need to search through my documentation and see if I can find an authoritative answer on what reference to use to level the glider. Notes from the last weighing say use canopy rails although a fellow in Australia says they level the top longeron. I also need to make sure its really 30 lbs on the tail and not 29 or 28. That large distance makes a big difference in CG location. Previously the weight was something like 367 on the main and 28 on the tail.

i rechecked the weight and it came out to 348 on the main and 24 on the tail. a 23 lb loss from before, and a much more believable CG. still a slight shift aft. My weight envelope is 160-243 lbs.

i managed to get a high quality digital camera out to the gliderport tonight. pictures are on the blog. here's one.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_0135.JPG
    DSC_0135.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 48
Looks good Tony - have fun at Marfa.

Congrats on getting it together in time, Tony. It's looking great!

Have fun in Marfa - I'm guessing that you got the truck working for the drive?

yea a few months ago i had a section of exhaust pipe replaced. the part just upstream of the catalytic converter was rusted completely free. not only was this hard on my hearing but it seems to have fixed the rough running problem. Hopefully it is ready for a couple thousand miles in the next week.

Gorgeous! Great job!
:yesnod:

Not surprised to hear she lost weight; your methods, etc. must have made most of the difference, but never underestimate how much the dirt and dust weighs in an old glider. :D

Back