Old Planes

Flew as a pax in a Queen Air once. Thought it was nice. Saw Tri-Motor when I was a kid, but never flown in one.

Very cool. A Tri-Motor came up here a couple of years back and gave rides during a promo. Might be the same one.

I've jumped outta a queen air. I haven't jumped out of a tri motor; but I did jump out of a beaver a few times.

"I've jumped outta a queen air. I haven't jumped out of a tri motor; but I did jump out of a beaver a few times."

Were they on fire ? Can't think of any other reason. :)

That tri motor gets around! Be fun to fly that cross country

I went for a ride in a Tri-motor a number of year ago at Kalamazoo. It looked like that one unless there is more than one with the same paint job.

I was in the pattern with the EAA Tri-Motor a few years ago at KGTU. Then I parked near a P-51D. Pretty cool day!

I flew right seat in that one once. He let me fly for about 10 minutes. Very docile plane.

I flew right seat in that one once. He let me fly for about 10 minutes. Very docile plane.

Same here! The EAA pilot took off and landed it but I did most of the rest of the flying. I think my part was also 10 minutes or so. You have to lead with a fair amount of rudder during turns.

Shared a fuel island with a Ford at Dalhart, Texas, a few years ago.

View attachment 53001

Holy moley!!! 414H.....That's the Tri-Motor I flew in at EAA Rockford in 1962 in my high school days!!! I'll never forget the N-number! I still have my ticket around here somewhere.

There have been additional Tri-Motor rides, but never like that one!

Jim

Last edited:
Same here! The EAA pilot took off and landed it but I did most of the rest of the flying. I think my part was also 10 minutes or so. You have to lead with a fair amount of rudder during turns.
I had my log book with me and logged .3 hrs of co-pilot time signed by the captain! Don't know if it's legal, but it's a pretty cool entry.

I loved looking out the window of the Ford and seeing the fuel gauges on the nacelle. ;-)

I loved looking out the window of the Ford and seeing the fuel gauges on the nacelle. ;-)
Trivia question: The German Ju.52 tri-motor transport often has small round mirrors on the inner sides of the wing mounted nacelles (barely visible on the left-wing nacelle in the photo below). Why are they there on this fixed-gear airplane?

o_O

P1030969.JPG

I know a guy who has a beautiful Tri-Motor in Texas and I still haven't got a ride yet! He has way too many cool planes though, so I'm always happy to find a spot in any of them.

Somebody made a Ford copy, called the Bushmaster 2000.

Bush%20-%207.gif

Trivia question: The German Ju.52 tri-motor transport often has small round mirrors on the inner sides of the wing mounted nacelles (barely visible on the left-wing nacelle in the photo below). Why are they there on this fixed-gear airplane?

Not sure, but I'd guess something to do with oil level?

Not sure, but I'd guess something to do with oil level?

Nope. It was how the crew synchronized the props. When the left-seat pilot looked out at the mirror on the left nacelle, the mirror reflected the image of the nose prop -- through the left prop disc. The stroboscopic effect made it easy to synchronize the #1 and #2 props visually. Then rinse and repeat on the right side.

Last edited:
Somebody made a Ford copy, called the Bushmaster 2000.

Unfortunately the second of the two Bushmasters built (N750RV) was destroyed in a crash during an air show at Fullerton, California, in 2004. Utterly senseless -- "PROBABLE CAUSE: 'The inadequate preflight inspection by the pilot-in-command, where the pilot failed to remove the makeshift gust lock attached to the rudder and left elevator of the airplane. As a result, the airplane veered off the runway surface during the takeoff roll, became airborne, and immediately began an uncontrolled descending left roll until impacting vehicles and the ground.'" It came close to taking out the Fullerton control tower on its way down. Fortunately everyone survived. All on video here:

Attachments

• MVC-614S_HDR.jpeg
    MVC-614S_HDR.jpeg
    474.6 KB · Views: 15
Unfortunately the second of the two Bushmasters built (N750RV) was destroyed in a crash during an air show at Fullerton, California, in 2004. Utterly senseless -- "PROBABLE CAUSE: 'The inadequate preflight inspection by the pilot-in-command, where the pilot failed to remove the makeshift gust lock attached to the rudder and left elevator of the airplane. As a result, the airplane veered off the runway surface during the takeoff roll, became airborne, and immediately began an uncontrolled descending left roll until impacting vehicles and the ground.'" It came close to taking out the Fullerton control tower on its way down. Fortunately everyone survived. All on video here:

Everyone survived that! Dang those Fords are built tough.

What a shame! There is a rule................ALWAYS walk around the airplane................even if you were only gone for a minute.

Everyone survived that! Dang those Fords are built tough.
Just what I was thinking! That's a miracle!

I had my log book with me and logged .3 hrs of co-pilot time signed by the captain! Don't know if it's legal, but it's a pretty cool entry.
Assuming he was an MEI, than it's legal!

Flew in the EAA B-17 from MGY to MQJ a couple of years ago and had my logbook signed. No Messerschmitts sighted enroute.

Cheers

Back