Ok, I never thought of this before

I guess I approached this wrong to spice up the thread. I should have called you names and accused you of murdering an innocent baby instead of giving you a chance to explain.

Seriously though, I'm surprised a baby put up with a headset.

Well, I think we cheated a bit by loading up at naptime. The baby slept through it all, even engine start, and woke up in the air somewhere. But honestly, whatever those headphones were, they did look really comfy. Definitely not David Clarks.

I might get some of these, for myself:

f27c751d-7830-4c72-8596-433e3152357c_1.1618720370bb1594f1d8545f58eca802.jpeg

(@SixPapaCharlie , just suck through a paper towel -- even a heavy shop towel works fine -- but make sure you check the stall warning BEFORE checking the oil or wiping bugs off the windscreen)

I untuck the front of my shirt and suck through that.

One of these days I'll get around to cutting up an old tennis ball or a baby snot sucker bulb for the times I fly a 172.

I warned the parents about it, and they showed up with what looked like a pair of headphones (no mic), small-child sized. Apparently, they must have been really comfortable, as the baby fell asleep wearing them. I don't know where he got them. I had suggested earplugs, but their solution was much better.
I ordered a pair online. They are about $15.00-$20.00. Our son when he was an infant wore them with no complaints, and went promptly to sleep on take-off. I haven't taken him now that he is a toddler, but I suspect that they still fit just fine. My only concern is that he will want to take them off.

Ok, I thought the sucking or blowing on the stall warning was a joke. But now it seems to have taken a serious turn and I am starting to believe that people actually do it. POA threads have conditioned me to be skeptical and alert to sarcasm, but also have thoroughly astonished me at times. This seems to be one of those times.

If you had never heard a stall horn before, hearing a whining, whistling noise emanating from somewhere within the airplane you might first assume it was the baby.

I agree, he was talking about the parents but the snowflake comment was BS. They're parents of a infant in a small airplane for the first time. I think the comment was out of line. Why do we have to condemn and judge? Why not just be happy for what sounded like a pretty awesome experience for everyone involved? The OP posted this because it was a GA feel-good anecdote and some PoA hotshot feelt like whizzing all over it just to make some cheap point of social commentary.

Good on you @MAKG1 for being a good ambassador for GA.
Sniff...I feel microaggressed!!

By far the most hilarious comment was in response: "And good luck keeping YOUR kids out of prison if you don't satisfy basic needs." Over the top much? FRRREAKK OUUUUTTT!!!!

Ok, I thought the sucking or blowing on the stall warning was a joke. But now it seems to have taken a serious turn and I am starting to believe that people actually do it. POA threads have conditioned me to be skeptical and alert to sarcasm, but also have thoroughly astonished me at times. This seems to be one of those times.

In all reality, I have covered the stall warning hole with a paper towel and sucked on it to check the reed.

In all reality, I have covered the stall warning hole with a paper towel and sucked on it to check the reed.

I can understand that for maintenance, kind of. But for pre-flight, wouldn't checking it airborne be sufficient? If it doesn't work when you suck on it, aren't you just going to check it airborne anyway? It sounds more like a joke someone would play on a newbie than a real pre-flight item.

I can understand that for maintenance, kind of. But for pre-flight, wouldn't checking it airborne be sufficient? If it doesn't work when you suck on it, aren't you just going to check it airborne anyway? It sounds more like a joke someone would play on a newbie than a real pre-flight item.
Honestly, I don't regularly do it. For what it's worth, I am not sure how I would check it while airborne other than stalling it. The point of checking it on the ground is to know about it before you get airborne.

Who needs a stall warning horn when you have one of these babies?

KLR-10.jpg

Checking the stall horn is part of the preflight checklist in the POH for my plane. Although I admit it is the one checklist item that I skip. I figure it is tested at the end of each flight anyway.

Last edited:

If it doesn't work when you suck on it, the aircraft is not airworthy. 172s require the stall warning per certification. See the POH equipment list.

Checking the stall horn is part of the preflight checklist in the POH for my plane.

If my checklist had it, I would probably do it.

But it doesn't. Not sure why.

Maybe they were worried about safe practices for shared planes, involving exchange of bodily fluids?

Well, I think we all have at one point or another.

I landed a 206 like a student the other day....they don't let you get away with the same things a 182 does.

Was referring to the stall warning, but yes. I've sucked on my fair share of Cessna landings too. : ) One day I'll get to fly a 206 like a big boy.

The extra $8 is for the baby snot.

Being the cheapskate that I am, I'd get it for free by asking parents of toddlers/kindergartners if they had any leftover they're planning on trashing. Speaking of which, it's time for me to browse my address book...

Back