Obtaining a Commerical rating with 3rd class medical?

DMD3.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DMD3.
Will I be allowed to train, do a checkride, and obtain a Commercial Pilot License if I only have a 3rd class medical? Naturally, I won't be able to excercise the privileges of a CPL holder (flying for hire, etc.), and I've even heard of CPL holders downgrading to 3rd class, but I thought I'd ask and make sure I'd be allowed to test for one.

I would like to get my CPLs in the not-too-distant future to go ahead and get it over with. However, with the way the aviation economy is, I don't suspect I'll actually be needing them until I get to Part 135. No use in having to pay for a flight physical every 2 years vs. 5 years and not get to fly for hire.

When are you do for a medical? I would just get a first class to ensure there are no issues. It will still be good for five years.

You don't need a second class medical to take the Checkride. You can do it with a third class.

When are you do for a medical? I would just get a first class to ensure there are no issues. It will still be good for five years.

1st class are due every year, 2nd class are due every 2 years, and 3rd are due every 5 years unless you are 40 years of age or older; then they are due every 3 years.

1st class are due every year, 2nd class are due every 2 years, and 3rd are due every 5 years unless you are 40 years of age or older; then they are due every 3 years.

Not really... That's only if you want to maintain the privlidges of those classes. After two years a class 1 can still exercise class 3 privlidges.

Over 40 = every 2 years.

Over 40 = every 2 years.

Yeah, all those time frames are different over 40.

Regardless, if he gets a class 1 he will be fine exercising class 3 privlidges until the normal class 3 would expire.

Thank you for the corrections and you are right. Also, the Class 2 is only valid for one year regardless of age(I could have sworn it used to be 2; I'll have to check my outdated FAR/AIM to see). I also did not know they would lapse into a 3rd class, which will save me another $125 visit to the doctor anytime soon. :)

Thank you for the corrections and you are right. Also, the Class 2 is only valid for one year regardless of age(I could have sworn it used to be 2; I'll have to check my outdated FAR/AIM to see). I also did not know they would lapse into a 3rd class, which will save me another $125 visit to the doctor anytime soon. :)

It's all good... I'm older so after 6 months with my class 1, I still have class 2 privlidges for another 6 months, then class 3 for another year.

Will I be allowed to train, do a checkride, and obtain a Commercial Pilot License if I only have a 3rd class medical? Naturally, I won't be able to excercise the privileges of a CPL holder (flying for hire, etc.), and I've even heard of CPL holders downgrading to 3rd class, but I thought I'd ask and make sure I'd be allowed to test for one.

I would like to get my CPLs in the not-too-distant future to go ahead and get it over with. However, with the way the aviation economy is, I don't suspect I'll actually be needing them until I get to Part 135. No use in having to pay for a flight physical every 2 years vs. 5 years and not get to fly for hire.

YES you can get your CPL with a 3rd class.

As for pt135, you'll probably need to work as a CPL in the pt91 world for a little while before any reputable 135 will hire you.

Nah, the class 2 has been 1 year for long, long time. OTOH, at one time it was true that you needed a second class medical in order to take the commercial checkride, but that hasn'e been true for years either.

But if you are looking at a commercial certificate it's a pretty good idea to be able to find stuff easily in the FAR like, 61.23, which defines medical certificate requirement. Check out 61.23(a)(3) which I think completely answers your original question.

Last edited:

www.faa.gov. Free of charge.

Bob Gardner

www.faa.gov. Free of charge.

Bob Gardner
I'm not sure but I think he was referring to his "outdated" volume in order to see if the 2nd class medical used to be 2 years.

Kind of like I checked my 1973 version of the FAR to see whether the 2nd class had a later expiration than 12 months for commercial ops (it didn't)

Last edited:
You can get any class of certificate with just a third class. They changed that in 1997.

Back