Obscure laws

Timbeck2

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Timbeck2
Some are funny such as: It is illegal to attend a church in disguise in Texas. But another one I don't get. "Pictures of dead ex-presidents may not be used to sell alcohol in Michigan."

Does that mean you can't pay cash for alcohol in Michigan?

Did you know it was illegal to sell chickens at night without a permit in Idaho?

In my home town, it's legal to keep a pig in the home as a pet, provided it's no longer than 32" and there are no more than two pigs in the home.

Did you know it was illegal to sell chickens at night without a permit in Idaho?

Does it matter if they are fresh or frozen?

Oddly enough, as a kid growing up on a farm in Idaho many years ago, I know for a fact that we bought chickens at night most years when we were restocking the hen house. Now I'll lie awake at night, praying that the statute of limitations has passed.

Does it matter if they are fresh or frozen?

Oddly enough, as a kid growing up on a farm in Idaho many years ago, I know for a fact that we bought chickens at night most years when we were restocking the hen house. Now I'll lie awake at night, praying that the statute of limitations has passed.

You bought the chickens at night. Pretty sure you're safe. ;)

In Virginia, it's against the law to tickle a girl under her chin with a feather duster in order to get her attention.

No information on whether you can tickle her in a different place or using another tool or for another purpose, but my take is that it must be ok.

Did you know that in Peoria it is illegal to stab midgets riding streetcars after dark on Tuesdays or Thursdays?

Why yes, as a matter of fact I did--assault with a deadly weapon is illegal virtually everywhere all the time.

Tim

Pretty sure it’s still illegal to loan your neighbor a vacuum cleaner in the City and County of Denver.

I assume some city politician had a family member that sold vacuum cleaners.

I remember reading one old law in Houston that ladies over 180 pounds are not allowed to wear shorts in public.

In New Mexico it is illegal for ''idiots'' to vote. Hmmm.... who gets to decide who is an idiot and who isn't.?? I want that job. Maybe we should pass legislation stating it is illegal for ''idiots'' to run for public office....

Also in NM it is illegal to dance around a sombrero. Sombreros are fun. Dancing is fun. Dancing around sombreros is fun. Why and when and how someone decided it wasn't Ok to dance around the large, festive Mexican headgear is beyond me, but it certainly gets me depressed. Other sources say it is even illegal to dance while wearing a sombrero, so perhaps it is best to stick to a yarmulke or something when you feel like busting a move to avoid any fines.

One positive note....it is legal for men to go naked in public, as long as their....uh....junk is covered. So total nudity is out but banana hammocks are a go... There is a picture that goes with this one but since it resembles someone we all know and love from this forum (Ted dP) I will leave it out.

Also in NM it is illegal to dance around a sombrero. Sombreros are fun. Dancing is fun. Dancing around sombreros is fun. Why and when and how someone decided it wasn't Ok to dance around the large, festive Mexican headgear is beyond me, but it certainly gets me depressed. Other sources say it is even illegal to dance while wearing a sombrero, so perhaps it is best to stick to a yarmulke or something when you feel like busting a move to avoid any fines.

One positive note....it is legal for men to go naked in public, as long as their....uh....junk is covered. So total nudity is out but banana hammocks are a go... There is a picture that goes with this one but since it resembles someone we all know and love from this forum (Ted dP) I will leave it out.
Do you have personal experience with either of these? A friend wants to know.

In New Mexico it is illegal for ''idiots'' to vote. Hmmm.... who gets to decide who is an idiot and who isn't.?? I want that job. Maybe we should pass legislation stating it is illegal for ''idiots'' to run for public office....

"Idiot" used to be an accepted medical term for a person with an IQ of 25 or less ("imbecile" is IQ 26-50, "moron" is 51-70, average is 100). Idiots also aren't allowed to vote in Arkansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, and Ohio.

Did you know that in Peoria it is illegal to stab midgets riding streetcars after dark on Tuesdays or Thursdays?

Why yes, as a matter of fact I did--assault with a deadly weapon is illegal virtually everywhere all the time.

Tim

Thank you - yes, many of these "strange laws" are only strange in that we think the law only applies on those days, or times, or other specific limitations, where really it applies always.

Plus, many of these "laws" have no cites to the actual state codes and such.

"Idiot" used to be an accepted medical term for a person with an IQ of 25 or less ("imbecile" is IQ 26-50, "moron" is 51-70, average is 100). Idiots also aren't allowed to vote in Arkansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, and Ohio.
Perhaps not, but there's evidence to suggest you don't have to be able to vote to get elected.

Airline pilots must be of good moral character.

Do you have personal experience with either of these? A friend wants to know.

Well, I don't own a sombrero.....:lol::lol:

Ok thanks, that explains a lot about the recent elections around here..:lol::lol:

Airline pilots must be of good moral character.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:...... oh wait....

In my hometown I can't walk my cow down Main Street after 1 p.m. on Sunday. But I can legally beat my wife, but only once a month. :eek:o_O

Well it is Arkansas, the wife and the cow may be one in the same . . . :)

Being that I was raised in Arkansas, let's just check on a fun fact from our neighbor to the West...

Oh, here's one, in Oklahoma, "It is illegal to have the hind legs of farm animals in your boots."

All those sheep jokes...now we know where they originated. :lol:

Being that I was raised in Arkansas, let's just check on a fun fact from our neighbor to the West...

Oh, here's one, in Oklahoma, "It is illegal to have the hind legs of farm animals in your boots."

All those sheep jokes...now we know where they originated. :lol:

I don't defend what happens in Stillwater, OK. They are the premier Ag institution in the state, so maybe they consider it "research", lol.

So, being born in OK and raised in AR since 7y/o what does that say about me. :eek2: . And pops was the Chief of Police in the small town. I have no affinity toward farm animals :p

I remember a number of years ago a fellow who is now a state senator, but was in the state house at the time, was complaining about a number of dumb laws in the state of Washington. I suggested to him that the legislature just spend a session repealing a bunch of those dumb laws and the look I got was priceless. Something like you would receive for farting in church. Gee, he was the one complaining about those laws and was in an ideal position to repeal them.

There should have been a limit in the constitution on how long any law can last. All laws passed should be required to have an expiration date. If it’s that important then pass a new one before the old one expires. It would keep the politicians busy and more focused on the important laws rather than just adding more and more and more.....

It seems like many laws are made solely to assure the next vote.
eg; A group wants a law to force the rest of us to behave a certain way or use certain products etc; lawmakers have no balls any more and can't say no to people, for fear of losing votes (yay term limits). Or, lawmakers don't take the time to truly investigate the other side of an issue.
And I think they should have to strike one law for every law they make.

And I don't know a thing about lawmaking etc but this is the part of it that I see.

PS there are several websites on Idiotic Laws, it's been years since I wasted an evening being entertained by them.

I thought those last two were tricycle gear and red handle pilots

We've had our share of strange laws ... and some folks still follow this one:

"When approaching a four way or blind intersection in a non-horse driven vehicle you must stop 100 ft from the intersection and discharge a firearm into the air to warn horse traffic."

:goofy:

There should have been a limit in the constitution on how long any law can last. All laws passed should be required to have an expiration date. If it’s that important then pass a new one before the old one expires. It would keep the politicians busy and more focused on the important laws rather than just adding more and more and more.....

They’d just pass 10,000 page bills ten at a time then with everything in them. Won’t work.

Ok, this isn't exactly in line with the topic, but early in my career doing legal research in the books (as opposed to online, as it is mostly done now), I came across this little gem of an opinion.

Murray v. State :: 1957 :: Supreme Court of Indiana Decisions :: Indiana Case Law :: Indiana Law :: US Law :: Justia

Let's just say, I'll give the defense counsel major points for creativity.

That is 5 minutes of my life I will never get back. Whole new meaning to choking your chicken. Honestly not sure how one does what he was accused of or how one decides that might be a good idea.

Ok, this isn't exactly in line with the topic, but early in my career doing legal research in the books (as opposed to online, as it is mostly done now), I came across this little gem of an opinion.

Murray v. State :: 1957 :: Supreme Court of Indiana Decisions :: Indiana Case Law :: Indiana Law :: US Law :: Justia

Let's just say, I'll give the defense counsel major points for creativity.

Sort of an interesting case. The law was vaguely written because people were disgusted and afraid to spell things out explicitly. As a general principle, of course, the defendant was correct. Vague laws are a bad idea and should not be enforceable, since the average citizen needs to be be able to figure out how to comply with the law.

I don't defend what happens in Stillwater, OK. They are the premier Ag institution in the state, so maybe they consider it "research", lol.

Hey ! ,I dated a Girl from Stillwater while stationed at Ft.Sill.
Interesting week end with a friend that had relatives there. :)

Scouting for wildlife with drones during hunting season is now illegal in the state of Wyoming.
8559092554_2b70be5876_o.png

Flickr/Mike Licht

Hey ! ,I dated a Girl from Stillwater while stationed at Ft.Sill.
Interesting week end with a friend that had relatives there. :)

My wife is an OSU-grad, so I have to make all of my Stillwater, OK jokes in private, lol. She proudly wears OU crimson & cream though as she worked for OU School of Medicine for a decade.

Scouting for wildlife with drones during hunting season is now illegal in the state of Wyoming.
8559092554_2b70be5876_o.png

Flickr/Mike Licht

There was some commotion about AK passing a law (or DNR regulation) that doesn't allow you to hunt on the same day that you flew on board of a light aicraft. Sounds silly on its face but was designed to stop people from using their plane to scout and chase animals.

Some are funny such as: It is illegal to attend a church in disguise in Texas. But another one I don't get. "Pictures of dead ex-presidents may not be used to sell alcohol in Michigan."

Does that mean you can't pay cash for alcohol in Michigan?

It's OK to use dead presidents to buy alcohol, just not to sell it. And it makes perfect sense, in no way I can think of.

There was some commotion about AK passing a law (or DNR regulation) that doesn't allow you to hunt on the same day that you flew on board of a light aicraft. Sounds silly on its face but was designed to stop people from using their plane to scout and chase animals.

Unless something has changed recently that is still in effect. To get around that some guides would fly in the late evening to spot large antlered moose and then mark the spot on their hand held GPS, then go after them at first light.

Some fishing guides will take you fishing for King Salmon late at night. That way fisherfolks can catch the limit before midnight, then after midnight, or the next day, catch the limit again. 2 limits, 1 trip.

Back