• Other

Votes: 10 13.2%

• Total voters

Gerhardt

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Gerhardt
My wife hates them. I won't eat fudge or brownies without them. I love black walnut fudge. Pecan oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. And cashews. Filberts. I won't eat a Hershey's bar or Mounds unless it has almonds. Brazil nuts are good, but a lot of work. I seldom get one out of the shell whole.

And the whole thing about peanuts not being a nut is just ridiculous. If it looks like a nut, tastes like a nut, it's a nut.

I still don't get McAuliffe's response of "nuts!". I mean, I get the gist of it, just not why he chose that particular word.

Depends on the occasion. I eat a lot of peanuts to snack on, but eat a lot of almonds in my granola bars, pistachios now and again when I have time, candied pecans (pronounced puh-kahn) are a nice treat now and again.

I have to go w/ Pecan.
My great Grandad had pecan trees. When we came over, we would all shake the hell out of the trees and get sent home w/ bags of them.

You don't want to know what he called Brazil nuts :no:

legumes....:goofy:

Bryan....mine called em that too. :rolleyes2:

Last edited:
Not all that fond of nuts plain, but I'll eat them in cookies, etc. But I like pistachios so I said "other".

Plain nuts... Cashew or almonds.
In something? Like cake, brownies, or fudge.... Walnuts

Almonds by the big Costco bag.
Real peanut brittle is good,
But a white chocolate chip macadamia nut cookie cannot be beat.

hot salty nuts. hot salty nuts anyone?

other than that, what BTIZ said......

I voted other.

My favorite is Pistachios.

I have to go w/ Pecan.
My great Grandad had pecan trees. When we came over, we would all shake the hell out of the trees and get sent home w/ bags of them.

You don't want to know what he called Brazil nuts :no:

I know EXACTLY what he called Brazil nuts. Didnt everybody??

Your grandfathers were from Brazil, and they just called them "nuts" too?

Openly proclaimed nuts, ok. Ie nuts in the can/jar where you know that you are obviously eating nuts.

Secreted, hidden nuts (ie, in ice cream or a dessert of any kind) NO!

"Bad" = enjoying that smooth sweet texture of brownie or ice cream and then WHAM! you come across a stone, a pebble, someone's tooth, a foreign substance purposely hidden inside!
NO NUTS in other foods!!!

Almonds by the big Costco bag..

Yep, good deal although the price has gone up in the past year lol. Usually eat a small handful daily. Favorite is cashew though. When my Dad was stationed in Japan in the late 50s you could buy warm (roasted) chestnuts from a Japanese guy on a bike on base. I remember liking those a lot as a kid.

Yep, good deal although the price has gone up in the past year lol. Usually eat a small handful daily. Favorite is cashew though. When my Dad was stationed in Japan in the late 50s you could buy warm (roasted) chestnuts from a Japanese guy on a bike on base. I remember liking those a lot as a kid.

Small handful daily is good advice. Overeating almonds can be, ahem, challenging on several fronts, or rears, as the case may be. The best hot roasted chestnuts were always from the street vendors in NYC at Christmastime...

Hard for me to chose. I like just about all kinds of nuts. I use pecans and walnuts, lightly toasted, in salads a lot. My favorite family chocolate chip oatmeal cookies just isn't the same if mom doesn't add the walnuts.

The parrot sitting on my shoulder right now says she'd kill for a cashew. Those and macadamia nuts are her favorites.

I'm a long time eating peanuts at the ball park man. I got a bag of deep fried peanuts once and they were great. I tried deep frying some myself after doing some turkeys one year, but it didn't turn out. The one thing I can't stomach is boiled peanuts though most of the locals down here in NC rave over them.

Eff you all..... And the OP. I was so ready to click the Macadamia radio button and now I'm lumped in with the "other" radio button.

Now I'm all ****ed off and want to go sheeeet on a tree.... Preferably in a park or on museum steps

My bride just sprung "candied" walnuts on me. Baked at low temp after being tossed in sugar, butter and cinnamon. So much for healthy snack.

Damn things are addictive.

My bride just sprung "candied" walnuts on me. Baked at low temp after being tossed in sugar, butter and cinnamon. So much for healthy snack.

They are awesome, and our little town has a mini-coated pecan factory - they make great gifts (although nut availability has driven prices up a bit recently)
I like that I can send a gift in 5 mins flat. Certain mixes are fine for diabetics too, of which I have a few friends.

www.allpecans.com

Damn things are addictive.

Whatever you do, don't try cocoa dusted almonds.

I still don't get McAuliffe's response of "nuts!". I mean, I get the gist of it, just not why he chose that particular word.

Quick derail for a bit of history. :)

It wasn't his choice, so much as his reaction when told the Germans were demanding the 101st Airborne Division's surrender. When told, he said, "Awe, nuts!" A conversation amongst the division staff ensued where all agreed surrender wasn't an option. McAuliffe agreed but said he wasn't sure how to respond. His Chief of Staff, LTC Harry Kinnard suggested his initial response "nuts" was a good answer. McAuliffe agreed and the rest is history.

This was reported directly from LTG (retired) Kinnard many years later in recorded interview.

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

I've been tormented back and forth about leaving this forum but now that I find out y'all overwhelmingly LIKE cashews it's settled. I'm gonna go type out a new departure thread now. See ya.

Agree that Pistachios and Macadamia should have been options. If they were choices I would have probably picked Pistachio. I bet either would have drawn more votes than black walnuts though I do like those as well.

As to boiled peanuts, I like them though I do prefer dry roasted.

My least favorite nut? Well, I hear sailor boy is no longer on POA.

These were pretty addictive...
163.jpg

Depends on what I have a taste for at the time. I like all of those choices but I can't say any one of them is my favorite.

If we are adding outside flavoring, than wasabi almonds would be hard to beat.

I've been tormented back and forth about leaving this forum but now that I find out y'all overwhelmingly LIKE cashews it's settled. I'm gonna go type out a new departure thread now. See ya.

ROFL... and we'll not notice again... See you when you get back... :)

If we are adding outside flavoring, than wasabi almonds would be hard to beat.

Wasabi Soy Almonds... extremely good...

Back