**NOTICE: Dave Taylor** (Foreflight chart updates)

jason

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Jason W (FlyNE)
Dave, this is your official notice that Foreflight has just posted their chart updates for the next cycle. You have between now and Aug 25 to download the updated charts.

Carry on...

:D:D:D

Renewed my subscription and updated the charts. Whew! Thanks, I almost forgot.

If we don't delete this thread, we're going to think there are updates any day somebody comments on the thread!

Thanks Jason! Still havent figured the calendar reminder thing - it made a reminder on every day of the year!

So I downloaded my update today & somewhere in the middle the iPad popped out to the main screen - I re-entered the program and downloaded the rest.

How can I be sure that the first files downloaded correctly? Is there a checksum or other verification incorporated? Is there another way to verify the files?

The downloading, seems to be taking longer than usual. Must be because of Jason's reminder, everyone is on at the same time. :D
But I was wondering why they couldn't just do 'changes'....seems like it is downloading the entire database for each file.

on another note..
Kind of humorous to see it acquire Quebec (I don't get the Canada subscription). I guess that's now a foreign country?

So I downloaded my update today & somewhere in the middle the iPad popped out to the main screen - I re-entered the program and downloaded the rest.

How can I be sure that the first files downloaded correctly? Is there a checksum or other verification incorporated? Is there another way to verify the files?

The files won't be installed until they're actually finished. I've never had an issue with file corruption even while testing the "new" (not so new any more) downloading system on a cell connection in motion - I got a LOT of downloads to fail thanks to AT&T, and beat the downloads system to death - So I'm quite confident that it works well and won't install a file that's corrupted. Can't tell you what the exact mechanism is, but it works.

The downloading, seems to be taking longer than usual. Must be because of Jason's reminder, everyone is on at the same time. :D
But I was wondering why they couldn't just do 'changes'....seems like it is downloading the entire database for each file.

on another note..
Kind of humorous to see it acquire Quebec (I don't get the Canada subscription). I guess that's now a foreign country?

Now that's an idea worth sending to the FF team! If you already HAVE the previous update, get a change file and merge just the charts that have changed! Why download an entire 36MB file over again? Just download the charts that have been updated since the last download, and merge those in... :idea:

Now that's an idea worth sending to the FF team! If you already HAVE the previous update, get a change file and merge just the charts that have changed! Why download an entire 36MB file over again? Just download the charts that have been updated since the last download, and merge those in... :idea:

They all change. At a minimum the current cycle dates are printed in the left and right margins.

They all change. At a minimum the current cycle dates are printed in the left and right margins.

But surely not every 1 and 0 changes on each chart. Too bad they can't yet detect and send only the changed bytes. (my guess is they will fix this, as well as the other things I asked about such as the auto downloading :D )

But surely not every 1 and 0 changes on each chart. Too bad they can't yet detect and send only the changed bytes. (my guess is they will fix this, as well as the other things I asked about such as the auto downloading :D )

Sheesh. You don't ask for much, do you? :D

Thats the difference between PDF charts in FF and data driven charts in Jeppesen. In order to update the PDF, you have to basically replace the entire thing.

You would need the source data to create the chart in the first place, in order to have data driven charts.

Chris, that's where DenverPilot's rsync suggestion comes in.

(for replacing less than the entire dataset each time, not for having data-driven vs PDF charts)

For the unaware, rsync is one (of many) examples of software that can compare an arbitrary directory of files of any type, and only transmit/receive the differences in the files. Doesn't matter the file type, at all.

I joked that rsync was open-source, but I have no idea if it's been ported to iOS nor how FF actually handles their file xfers. If they're just calling Apple's file transfer libraries, or Apple only allows certain ways for files to be downloaded to the devices, they may have their hands tied.

Apple is supposedly adding "delta" style App updates to iOS 5 shortly, where changes to Apps will only be the changed bits, to save on bandwidth to and from the iCloud servers, but I don't develop for iOS, so I haven't looked to see if those can be used for App data also. I doubt it, since Apple doesn't host the App data.

It was half-joking, half-serious that an implementation *might* be able to be done that would only transfer the deltas in Ye Olde Bits of the files.

The draw for FF would be a significant reduction in bandwidth utilization at their download farm, at each chart release.

But server bandwidth is so darn cheap, it's probably not enough monetary incentive to put that one very high on the priorities list. It'd make 3G only updaters very happy, though. The bottleneck (and higher price) is always at the mobile device end for bandwidth.

Considering how ForeFlight likely spends a great deal of money on bandwidth, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt that they've explored their options for reducing that bill. I doubt the way the data files are provided really make it easy.

Of course their labor expenses probably make the bandwidth look cheap so dedicating a ton of time for a slight performance increase at the risk of causing more issues in a fairly mature download system probably isn't worth it either.

Good example of what I speak....in Boise - its 11pm and the flight tomorrow is at 6am. Been checking the ipad for various things over the weekend, and didn't see until now that an update is necessary. Lucky I found it, 7hr warning. Would have been nicer if it had simply downloaded automatically!

Good example of what I speak....in Boise - its 11pm and the flight tomorrow is at 6am. Been checking the ipad for various things over the weekend, and didn't see until now that an update is necessary. Lucky I found it, 7hr warning. Would have been nicer if it had simply downloaded automatically!
The current cycle does not expire until the 22nd Dave. You've got several days left on this cycle. Plenty of warning.

Hopefully no foul using charts before their validity date?

Actually, I think yes it is a foul. But fortunately foreflight keeps using the old charts after you've loaded the new data and only deletes the old and starts using the new on the appropriate day...

...at least I THINK mine does that.

Hopefully no foul using charts before their validity date?

Even when you download the new ones it will keep the old ones around (and use them) until they expire. Then it automatically replaces them with the new ones one the expiration date.

Even when you download the new ones it will keep the old ones around (and use them) until they expire. Then it automatically replaces them with the new ones one the expiration date.
That does require about double the 6GB FF suggests is necessary for 48 state US coverage though.

Now that is smart, gotta give them credit for providing that flexibility. Thanks.

Not so automatic this time around. The old files deleted themselves, but the airport pages still said, outdated data. I had to delete all of the most recent and now current data downloads, and download everything all over from scratch. :mad2:

Not so automatic this time around. The old files deleted themselves, but the airport pages still said, outdated data. I had to delete all of the most recent and now current data downloads, and download everything all over from scratch. :mad2:
Interesting. I just looked at mine and did not have your problem.

I know that I've seen some updates in the middle of the cycle before. Why are you saying we aren't getting them?

I wonder if that is on a defined schedule so I will be able to calendar it.

Back