**NOTICE: Dave Taylor** (Foreflight chart updates)

Yes. A handful of charts are marked for download. I don't know that they are the FAA updates. They could be corrections that Foreflight has implemented, but I doubt it.

They are usually corrections. As previously discussed, I've found errors where charts overlap (data entirely missing) and they immediately fix it and push an update.

do you know anything about the change notices, Troy?

They'll just show up as one off random downloads when you start the app. They're quick to download but are rarely critical to flight ops. They just push them out as they find bugs in the charts.

One of the problems with the update system is simply the font of the notification. I often open the ipad and miss the tiny number on the app store indicating an update is available.
I wish Apple would make an option to have a large, flashing symbol to draw your attention. About this size would help:

Attachments

• ipad.JPG
    ipad.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 5
I wish they used the notification/push scheme to notify of available downloads and set a badge on the Foreflight app.

(Which you could redirect to Message Center if you like under iOS 5.)

My Twitter Apps even do it. Not understanding why I have to *launch* Foreflight instead of them sending a Push badge notification.

I wish they used the notification/push scheme to notify of available downloads and set a badge on the Foreflight app.

(Which you could redirect to Message Center if you like under iOS 5.)

My Twitter Apps even do it. Not understanding why I have to *launch* Foreflight instead of them sending a Push badge notification.
Probably because that means they need to track what chart every device has out there on their side so that they can know who to push chart notifications out to. They have no way to call the App to ask it what charts it has if it's not running.

Not impossible but not as simple as it sounds and I suspect because of that they've directed their resources elsewhere.

New foreflight update in the app store. Downloading now, but looks sweet based on the description.

Sweet!

Print the NavLog and XM WX! :)

aefdb0c9-97d5-5d04.jpg

Played with it the last 5 minutes. Awesome update! TFRs and weather over-layed on VFR charts. Sweet.

XM weather, yeah great new features. Im showing all my coworkers like a kid with a new toy.

Very cool - another good Foreflight release.

Don't think I'll be doing the XM though. Looks like way too many different gadgets.

Got 4.2, it works fine..right after that a World map update became available within FF. Not sure what that is.

So you have to go looking for program updates, it doesn't notify you like it does for the db updates?

I bet you need re-download, DF.

Got 4.2, it works fine..right after that a World map update became available within FF. Not sure what that is.

It's a new global map in cache that at least gives you coastlines, major cities and political borders in areas not covered by US and Canadian charts. I would have liked to have had that just last week when I took my Foreflight-equipped iPad on a cruise ship to Mexico.

Attachments

• Photo Oct 21, 9 39 32 PM.jpg
    Photo Oct 21, 9 39 32 PM.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I see it now, not much detail, hundreds of miles between any notations on the map in Mexico for eg.

Got one yesterday, (apparently it was 2 days before). Got my calendar popup to work!

Got one yesterday, (apparently it was 2 days before). Got my calendar popup to work!
From ForeFlight today:
ForeFlight Mobile 4.3.3 is now available in the App Store. This release contains two important bug fixes, and we recommend that all customers update. Also, we have issued a correction for the Niagara Falls International (KIAG) ILS or LOC Rwy 28R procedure

From ForeFlight today:
ForeFlight Mobile 4.3.3 is now available in the App Store. This release contains two important bug fixes, and we recommend that all customers update. Also, we have issued a correction for the Niagara Falls International (KIAG) ILS or LOC Rwy 28R procedure

Thanks for the note. I already saw that the airport database downloads are ready, but I didn't know about the new Rev. I am going to the airport in a few hours and we have a wireless there. I do my downloads on my IPnone as well as my IPad there to keep from running up my data services bill.

A new airport and navigation database is available for download February 1 for the January 12 – February 9, 2012 period. This update fixes an issue with route searches including certain departures. All customers will be prompted to download this update inside of ForeFlight Mobile.

At the request of NAV CANADA, [Foreflight] issued an updated Quebec terminal procedures download for the December 15, 2011 – February 9, 2012 period. This update corrects an error with RNAV RWY 06L approach for St. Hubert (CYHU). If you have selected Quebec in your download settings, you will be prompted to download this update. If you have downloaded this plate individually for that airport, you will need to download the entire Quebec terminal procedures bundle.

New database updates available today, Dave...
I just set up a reminder in Google Calendar reminding me to do this every 8 weeks (56 days). Of course, there will still be occasional one-offs that I'll try to post about here. (I hear about them on FaceBook.)

I just set up a reminder in Google Calendar reminding me to do this every 8 weeks (56 days). Of course, there will still be occasional one-offs that I'll try to post about here. (I hear about them on FaceBook.)

Good idear. I use Google Calendar's reminders for LOTS of recurring items that need to be done in my life.. among those:

• Changing HVAC filters
  • Fertilizing the yard
  • Pruning trees
  • Draining/Flushing the hot water tank
  • Birthdays and anniversaries (I just record the WHO,WHAT,YEAR and figure out how many it was at the proper time). It's easy to put a 7-day reminder on the ones that are important enough to you that you want to send cards.
  • Reminders about those odd once-per-year bills.

Ipad full :mad: looks like I can not keep EVERYTHING installed after all. :mad2:

New database updates available today, Dave...

Troy, nothing showed up when I departed this pm.......wait, still nothing. Is this one you have to go looking for?

ps - about the water heater. I thought I was the only one whose water tank would fill the bottom 12" with slime/rock until the element burned. Is your water like ours, originating from a limestone cave??

16 gig ...... Up until todays updates , everything was cool.

Try turning off Alaska... That alone saves a ton of room.

Also, you'll get a warning when downloading if there isn't enough free space to hold all the new stuff - If you download only the places you might fly before and immediately after the data expires, and then wait for the other data to expire before downloading the next set, you won't be using a ton of space to hold TWO sets (current/next) of data that you don't need.

Of course, it's much easier to not have to worry about that stuff, which is one reason why ForeFlight recommends at least a 32-gig iPad.

Try turning off Alaska... That alone saves a ton of room.

Also, you'll get a warning when downloading if there isn't enough free space to hold all the new stuff - If you download only the places you might fly before and immediately after the data expires, and then wait for the other data to expire before downloading the next set, you won't be using a ton of space to hold TWO sets (current/next) of data that you don't need.

Of course, it's much easier to not have to worry about that stuff, which is one reason why ForeFlight recommends at least a 32-gig iPad.

I did wipe the install and start over only putting the immediate area around where I fly. As for the 32gig, The 16 gig was a present from my wife for Christmas, so Im pretty fortunate to have what I have. I really do not need to have it all in . This was the first update that was showing both sets since I had the package.

The update notice finally made it to the boonies this am; thanks Troy.
Hey when you make a calendar notice, does it pop up and make itself known on the day, or do you have to go looking at the calendar?

Hey when you make a calendar notice, does it pop up and make itself known on the day, or do you have to go looking at the calendar?

If you're asking about reminders on Google calendar events, you can have it send you a text message (SMS), email, or popup on the calendar. You specify how far in advance, and reminders are customizable (on, off, what type, how far in advance) for every calendar entry.

http://support.google.com/calendar/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=37242

If you create the notice using either apple's calendar app or their reminder app it will pop up on the device.

Back