**NOTICE: Dave Taylor** (Foreflight chart updates)

I have several events on my Feb calendar....ah I see there is an alert menu item. I bet that needs to be set. Will try it, tks.

I did wipe the install and start over only putting the immediate area around where I fly.

By "wipe the install" I assume you mean you deleted the app and re-downloaded it?

There's an easier way - Go to the Downloads page, hit the big red Delete button at the bottom, and it'll pop up asking if you want to delete only expired data or all data. Tap "Delete All" and it'll get rid of all downloaded data, so you can start over without having to delete the app and re-download it (and sign back in to ForeFlight and DUATs and all that stuff).

Of course, if you did that, well, here's the details for the next person who googles this. :)

The update notice finally made it to the boonies this am; thanks Troy.

Dave,

I didn't see it right away when I saw the latest posts to this thread either... But, if you see an update notice here and you're really anxious to get the new data, just go to the More tab in ForeFlight and tap Settings, and set "Reload Download List" to On. You may have to quit ForeFlight and relaunch it, but that setting will force it. You normally want to leave that setting off, though.

Dave,

I didn't see it right away when I saw the latest posts to this thread either... But, if you see an update notice here and you're really anxious to get the new data, just go to the More tab in ForeFlight and tap Settings, and set "Reload Download List" to On. You may have to quit ForeFlight and relaunch it, but that setting will force it. You normally want to leave that setting off, though.

Great tip, thanks!

By "wipe the install" I assume you mean you deleted the app and re-downloaded it?

There's an easier way - Go to the Downloads page, hit the big red Delete button at the bottom, and it'll pop up asking if you want to delete only expired data or all data. Tap "Delete All" and it'll get rid of all downloaded data, so you can start over without having to delete the app and re-download it (and sign back in to ForeFlight and DUATs and all that stuff).

Of course, if you did that, well, here's the details for the next person who googles this. :)

I tried deleting the expired data first , and it kept yelling at me that there was not enough room when doing the downloads. ( It was looking like it was downloading doubles of everything , thats why I started fresh) So thinking there MAY be some glitch , I deleted the whole app, then started fresh. This time only adding data immediately surrounding PA. No big deal , If I ever go outside of the surrounding States, then I will deal with installing the appropriate info then . This leaves more room for angry birds to be installed once again. ;)

I tried deleting the expired data first , and it kept yelling at me that there was not enough room when doing the downloads. ( It was looking like it was downloading doubles of everything , thats why I started fresh) So thinking there MAY be some glitch , I deleted the whole app, then started fresh. This time only adding data immediately surrounding PA. No big deal , If I ever go outside of the surrounding States, then I will deal with installing the appropriate info then . This leaves more room for angry birds to be installed once again. ;)

It was probably complaining because it WAS trying to download two sets of data - The set that's currently effective, and the set that takes effect tomorrow morning! Doh...

It was probably complaining because it WAS trying to download two sets of data - The set that's currently effective, and the set that takes effect tomorrow morning! Doh...
I do believe that is what it was doing. Before I did the re-install , what did download was showing like it was a double , but with different "effective" dates . Oh well . Lesson learned.

Yay, you caught it first; my Google calendar reminder popped up today and I just finished downloading the chart updates myself.

They were out a couple of days ago. You might adjust your calendar up a couple of days. They are putting them out earlier.

ForeFlight Mobile 4.5 lands on App Store. Includes support for ADS-B weather via Stratus; support for direct-to in route searches; support for ETD times and offsets in route search; naming of favorite routes; and performance enhancements.
Remember, to get this you need to open App Store, not ForeFlight itself.

For more info, see their blog at http://blog.foreflight.com/2012/04/16/foreflight-mobile-4-5-stratus-adsb-ipad/

After downloading 4.5, you may need to re-download charts by going to the Download tab in ForeFlight.

Last edited:
Thanks, Grant and Murphey...
Yes I needed to get charts after the new version.
I wonder why.
And, why is it a "might have to", are some ipads different??

I wonder why.

I think Grant was just saying that in his case (only one he had to go by) he had to reload the data.

I haven't gone to the ForeFlight sight, but might guess that since this is a major upgrade 4.4 to 4.5 it might just be part of the deal.

thanks EGA
hey what is the fix if I dl the update and it totally bollucks the program?
Is there a way to roll back?

I wonder why.

NOTE: Please visit Downloads after updating to version 4.5 to download plates and charts for the current cycle. The update to 4.5 may require you re-download data.

I did need to re-download. As to how to restore, you could try hooking it up to iTunes before updating and backing it up. I haven't tested restoring, though.

I did need to re-download. As to how to restore, you could try hooking it up to iTunes before updating and backing it up. I haven't tested restoring, though.

Nope. iTunes only backs up the OS and the Apps. Data is not restored.

Nope. iTunes only backs up the OS and the Apps. Data is not restored.
I was suggesting a way to go back to the previous version of the App, not restore the data, but that's a good distinction to make.

And, if you haven't already downloaded 4.5, I would hold off to keep from having to re-download the data. Just got this from ForeFlight:
ForeFlight Mobile Bulletin
ForeFlight Mobile 4.5 landed in the App Store yesterday afternoon. If you update to this version, you will have to re-download plates, charts, and documents. To download data from iPad, tap on 'More' in the bottom-right, tap on 'Downloads', and then tap the green 'Download' button. To download data from iPhone, tap on the 'Download' icon and then tap the green 'Download' button.
We apologize for the inconvenience, but wanted to inform you so you can ensure your iPad is in top shape before your next flight.
ForeFlight Mobile 4.5.1 - which is awaiting Apple's review - will land in the App Store in the next few days and will not require data re-downloading. If you hold for 4.5.1, you will not need to re-download data. We will send a follow-up email as soon as 4.5.1 is available.
Before every flight, we recommend a proper pre-flight of your iPad and apps to ensure data required for your flight is available. Please watch our iPad Proficiency Video for more information on pre-flighting your apps and flying safely with the iPad and iPhone.

That's how things are here, tomorrow really won't get here til about noon Thursday.

ForeFlight Mobile 4.5.2 is available for download in the App Store! This release includes application updates, bug fixes, and a firmware update for Stratus.

ForeFlight Mobile 4.5.2 is available for download in the App Store! This release includes application updates, bug fixes, and a firmware update for Stratus.

I saw this. Any PIREPS on the update process? Foreflight is mission critical for me at the moment, and I can't afford to wait for a new release if this one has significant bugs.

I saw this. Any PIREPS on the update process? Foreflight is mission critical for me at the moment, and I can't afford to wait for a new release if this one has significant bugs.

The only update "bug" I ever recall was the one triggered by Apple forcing FF to move the data from one location on the device filesystem to a protected area after the iOS 5 release was allowing critical data downloaded by Apps to be overwritten by videos and other real-time data. Bad move on Apple's part.

Anyway, both devices updated here without a hitch, as usual.

Other than that one time re-download map data event mentioned above. ;)

It was a total non-event. All data was still there after the upgrade.

Airport Database was slightly behind the rest of them. Check to make sure y'all got it this go-around.

Back