North up or Track up?

north, cause I can read the chart that way

We use track up, it orients the map to how the ground looks beneath you. It also keeps the heading you're flying at the top of the HSI, which helps keep your SA on what direction to turn if given a heading.

Last edited:
We use track up, it orients the map to how the ground looks beneath you. It also keeps the heading you're flying at the top of the HSI, which helps keep your SA on what direction to turn if given a heading.

Only time I've used north up is to confuse the next guy I'm hot switching with...

I use track/head up, I like the view to be the same out the window as on the panel.

Track up on the moving map. Since I rent, there's a good chance the GPS in the panel might be N up, so I might leave it that way. My tablet is set for track up, though.

North up on paper charts for everything except a southerly heading.

Track up keep the airplane and the ground in the same direction. Have also used north up,don't care for it.

Another vote here for track up. I like having the map oriented in the direction I am flying so the orientation of everything out the window matches the map orientation. WingX overlays text for the important information on the charts so that when rotated off north up you can still read the important stuff. Since it is a very quick toggle between the two in WingX, I will periodically jump to the north up mode so I can have that perspective in my mind too.

Last edited:
I prefer North up. In my brain, the world is fixed and the airplane moves.

But either way works just fine.

I prefer North up. In my brain, the world is fixed and the airplane moves.

But either way works just fine.

Yep, use whichever way makes it easiest to keep your orientation clear in your head. The info you get is all the same, the difference is just in how people think about things.

North up for me, all the time. Charts, GPS, in the car, in the plane, on the SIM.

did we just haul out the dead horse for another beating? :D

did we just haul out the dead horse for another beating? :D
Yup we did. New guy, new question.
track up. I think in many cases, people leave it however it is set because it isn't their plane or they don't know jow to change it.
I orient my paper map the same way.

Heading up on my MFD, North Up on both of my GPS's.

I prefer track up, but if it's set to north up I can still fly, just barely, but I can fly! :D

Track up - the way my instructor taught me - it worked for him when he was bombing the hell out of Germany in the 40's

Was a die-hard north-up guy from chart days, but slowly converting to track-up.

I think a point that many miss in this dichotomy is whether the map presentation is vector or static. Using vector maps, you always see the labels oriented up, regardless of your heading, so it removes that impediment.
Personally, I consider track up crucial for instrument flying, and therefore vector map just as crucial. In my case I have vector maps both in the panel and in my tablet (GP Android), so flying track up is easy and natural.
The only fly in the ointment is the geo-referenced approach plates, which I have yet to see as vector graphic, so while shooting an approach I may flip back and forth between the views.

Track up makes it easier to follow the MLOD.

North up gives you orientation at a glance and makes it easier to keep track of where you are going.

But in the end, there is only one CORRECT way - the way I do it. ;)

Haha sorry guys, hadn't seen this discussed and didn't realize it was a dead horse:)

Usually track-up, because that's the way it was presented on the radars and MFD's I first used in the military 40 years ago, and I got used to it. But while that works for me, it may not work for you, so you use whatever is easiest for your brain to process.

IOW, it's like boxers vs briefs -- no right/wrong answer, only what's comfortable for you.

Usually track-up, because that's the way it was presented on the radars and MFD's I first used in the military 40 years ago, and I got used to it. But while that works for me, it may not work for you, so you use whatever is easiest for your brain to process.

IOW, it's like boxers vs briefs -- no right/wrong answer, only what's comfortable for you.

I like briefs
By the way

Panel GPS (also my old handheld when it was my only GPS) - track up. Maps and charts (paper or plastic) - north up.

I used to be track up even with paper sectionals. IFR switched me to north up because things were easier to read.

When you're in a spin do you visualize the airplane stationary and the ground spinning around (track up) or do you see the ground stationary and the airplane spinning around (north up) ?

I am track up kinda person, always have been, always will.....:yes:

North up. I don't think the world revolves around me. ;)

I could imagine switching to track up flying IFR ... Too soon to tell.

Track up on my navigation device (G500) and north up on the chart device (iPad).

Was a die-hard north-up guy from chart days, but slowly converting to track-up.

I used to fold and hold my charts head up as well. I can read in any orientation or in the mirror just as easily regardless which, so it never bothered me to have the writing at strange angles. It just always makes it easier for me to identify corresponding features between the chart and window when I see the chart heads up as well.

I used to fold and hold my charts head up as well. I can read in any orientation or in the mirror just as easily regardless which, so it never bothered me to have the writing at strange angles. It just always makes it easier for me to identify corresponding features between the chart and window when I see the chart heads up as well.

I spent most of my time in the engine room, but did a good bit of coffee drinking up in the pilothouse. Had a Captain once who was anal about stuff, charts and nav screens included. Had a real temper, too.

One fold in a chart and the Mates got an earful. If he happened to wander into the pilothouse and any of the nav screens were not on North Up, things would start to fly.

Enroute - track up
Approach - north up

Why does this thread keep popping up every 4 months? The replies never change. :ohsnap:

Back