No heading bug

Irish_Armada

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Irish Armada
Just curious, for those of you that don't have a heading bug you can set when ATC assigns you a heading on departure or whenever, how do you remember? Write it down, just commit it to memory, or something else?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I have a heading bug but I still write down all headings, altitudes and frequencies on my kneeboard so if 15 seconds later something else grabs my mental focus I do not have to question the instruction in my mind.

Just curious, for those of you that don't have a heading bug you can set when ATC assigns you a heading on departure or whenever, how do you remember? Write it down, just commit it to memory, or something else?

I will set it on the heading bug if the airplane is equipped with a heading bug. Otherwise I just memorize it. I've never had a problem with forgetting headings since it's a primary focus of mine to get to it and maintain it. Something about seeing it on the gauge helps too as I turn towards it.

Memory. I should probably write, but that one never seemed too hard to get right.

Makes flying something with a heading bug kinda like an extra piece of candy in your candy wrapper. The self centering bug with a single button push is like, whoa what is this witchcraft! Hehehe.

I haven't flown IFR without a bug in some time, but I'm really bad on memorizing stuff generally, so I probably should be writing it down without one. But I never had difficulty remembering my current heading and altitude assignment. For me, the heading bug is not a memory aid. Instead, it's a tool to make small deviations easier to notice and, on an approach, prevent overcorrecting.

I have an old suction cup heading bug I use.

Always memory, but I usually have it written on a kneeboard just for reference if I'm in a busy environment, along with the ATIS code, winds etc.

I usually don't have a problem memorizing the heading, but if the plane has a ADF with a moveable card, I'll turn the card to the heading I've been assigned. Similarly, I'll use an unused OBS dial to set a bug for my altitude.

Heading has never been a problem for me. Fortunately, one of my co-owners put an after market altitude bug on the altimeter some time in the distant past. It's nice to be able to put that on the DA/MDA while briefing the approach and then have that as a reminder for when I cross the FAF.

Really? Where do we get such pilots?

Are you referring to the newer pilots that are looking for tips and tricks in the training forum as they learn to decipher a lot of information being thrown at them?

...or are you referring to pilots that write things down out of habit to be sure because they fly in busy environments?

...or are you referring to those that can confidently lock all the information in their memory as they gain experience with what to focus on as they get the information?

Oh, you must be referring to the jackwaggons that have noting to offer but underhanded slights and insults. THAT must be what what you are referring to.

Must be hard living in a world not having everyone as great as you.

Last edited:
On the ground, I right it down with the rest of the clearance.

Vectors in the air, I do from memory. Reading back the vector helps with remembering...unless of course I'm going a GCA. ;)

Last edited:
Initial heading to be flown after departure gets written down. When getting vectored in the air, memory works for me. A look at the number on the DG as I'm reading it back seems to work well enough.

Are you referring to the newer pilots that are looking for tips and tricks in the training forum as they learn to decipher a lot of information being thrown at them?

...or are you referring to pilots that write things down out of habit to be sure because they fly in busy environments?

...or are you referring to those that can confidently lock all the information in their memory as they gain experience with what to focus on as they get the information?

Oh, you must be referring to the jackwaggons that have noting to offer but underhanded slights and insults. THAT must be what what you are referring to.

Must be hard living in a world not having everyone as great as you.

Yup. Uncalled for. Don't give that a second thought Irish.

When I started flying I was always worried about memory recall and being able to repeat all the stuff. After having done it for a while it is kind of like second nature and now it just all flows. frequencies, headings, clearance, etc.... Repetition is the key

Memory. If need be, spin the heading into the rotatable compass card on the ADF or VOR.

I write it down as I am repeating it back, then change the heading bug or tune in the new freq. I used to repeat, then change; but once or twice moving from radio to making the change required I actually forgot what I had just repeated back.

Initial heading to be flown after departure gets written down. When getting vectored in the air, memory works for me. A look at the number on the DG as I'm reading it back seems to work well enough.
This is how I've done it, and it's worked pretty well. I wasn't sure if I was missing something obvious though. Thanks all!

If it is something short term, like vectors onto an ils, I use memory. If it is my initial clearance or take off heading or anything else that may last quite awhile, I write it on my board or my ipad. You never know when a passenger will randomly decide to throw up all over you (distractions).

I write it down as I am repeating it back, then change the heading bug or tune in the new freq. I used to repeat, then change; but once or twice moving from radio to making the change required I actually forgot what I had just repeated back.
New touch screen GTN or IFD are great for freq, type the freq as you respond, if you are wrong ATC should catch it. Then hit the xfer switch.

Back