New to this site, new to flying!

Thanks all! Know that I will fly as often as my schedule and money allows lol. It's a catch 22. I could fly more if I didn't work so much, but if I don't work so much, I couldn't afford to fly. Nothing you guys don't already know though LOL

I envy you for being new to the world of aviation, and all the excitement that brings. Welcome, and enjoy!

Scott one thing i was told many years ago when i first started flying was to get all your money together to do your private or more if you want then start flying. thats what i am doin at the present time. im restarting my training after almost 30 years. im getting all my bills but the mortgage payed off and then start saving to pay for my flying. that way you can fly as much as time allows without worrying about having the time but not the money. also as you work towards your private you can still be saving money towards you instrament and so on or as far as you want to go with your ratings. just my opinion. thats what i am gonna do as i plan on going all the way to cfi,cfii and mei hopefully get the all important atp

Been a busy weekend! It's graduation season so I DJ a lot of parties. Had two this weekend. But, I got to start Saturday morning with lesson #3! Take offs and landings, with pattern work mostly. I'm working the radio now as well. My CFI says I'm doing well and progressing nicely. He sat with his arms crossed for most of the flight, only taking the controls to demonstrate a maneuver or two. Next lesson scheduled for Friday! It's such a rush every time the I lift off.

Been a busy weekend! It's graduation season so I DJ a lot of parties. Had two this weekend. But, I got to start Saturday morning with lesson #3! Take offs and landings, with pattern work mostly. I'm working the radio now as well. My CFI says I'm doing well and progressing nicely. He sat with his arms crossed for most of the flight, only taking the controls to demonstrate a maneuver or two. Next lesson scheduled for Friday! It's such a rush every time the I lift off.

Welcome! I would add, and it sounds like you have it figured out, don't ever (within reason) leave a lesson without scheduling the next one, this will keep the progress going.

BTW, the new facility for GA is now open at Watertown (KART). It's really nice compared to the old facility. Stop in and check it out if you're in the area!

Here a few pics I took today of the new GA building at KART. This first one is the entrance from the parking lot. The pilots lounge is at the end of the hall.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    897 KB · Views: 21
This is the services desk at the ramp entrance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    890.9 KB · Views: 16
And this is the lobby area in front of the services desk. I apologize if these pictures come out sideways, I can not stop my iPad from doing this no matter what I try.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    967.7 KB · Views: 16
And, today's lesson was all touch and go's and pattern flying. I am working the radio calls now as well. I'm pretty close to having it all together, I just need to work a little on the flare at landing, I can not get it to where I "grease" it in, and it is driving me nuts. But the takeoff, the departure climb and crosswind, downwind preparation for landing, base and final are looking good, according to my CFI. I going to get up again this weekend and see if we can get it worked out. Let me know if anybody is ever up this way, I love to talk aviation!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 30
Alright, yesterday's lesson was take off, pattern, and touch and go's. Also executed my first go around yesterday due to being way to high on final, which was due to a mistake back on base. It's like a domino effect. But, my CFI said that showed good judgement, as he didn't call it, I did. I started off real well this lesson, but by the end of it it was going downhill fast. CFI said that happens after an hour and a half of touch and go's and he could see I was tired. I have always been my own toughest critic, and toward the end there it was a struggle to do what had come so easily at the beginning of the lesson. :mad2: But, any time spent flying is good time, going back up middle of this week, can't wait! :D

Sounds like every student I've known, myself included. You have a few great fights then you have the one that makes wonder why you thought you could do this. Hang in there it's all part of the process. You're doing great.:yes::yes::yes:

btw, welcome to POA (yes I know I'm late)...

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

You have come to the right place, where pilots at all levels congregate.

Keep us informed of your progress, and ask lots of questions.

Bob Gardner

I finished up my PPL at Clinton County Airport in Plattsburgh NY... (now closed)... I loved flying in Northern NY... Good Luck!

Wellll, we gave it a try today, but it was not to be. The weather gods did not smile upon me, and gifted me with IMC at approximately 400' AGL, thanks for the bad info ASOS lol. Instructor took it and got us out, and I managed to make the days only landing, which might have been the best one I've ever done, as well as the takeoff. Dif instructor, did experience. We'll try again tomorrow!

This definitely won't be the last time weather messes up your plans. Good luck and keep pushing and hope for good weather.

It was a great day for flying! Little gusty, but it was straight down the runway. Decided to postpone any landing practice today and do steep banked turns and MCA. Good times! The hour was up before I knew it. Took us back to the field and entered the pattern, brought her down nice and easy, a gust picked us up right before touchdown, so I eased in a little power and landed smooth as silk. Another great lesson in the book. Going back up Tuesday! :yes:

It was a great day for flying! Little gusty, but it was straight down the runway. Decided to postpone any landing practice today and do steep banked turns and MCA. Good times! The hour was up before I knew it. Took us back to the field and entered the pattern, brought her down nice and easy, a gust picked us up right before touchdown, so I eased in a little power and landed smooth as silk. Another great lesson in the book. Going back up Tuesday! :yes:

Practice makes perfect......

Keep at it buddy....:yes:

So. Weather delayed us today. Sat around the school office talking planes and Oshkosh. Weather clears off. CFI and I go up. Plan was to do MCA and turns around a point. Just as I get to our planned altitude, intercom starts to break up, turn and bank indicator shuts off. Great. Turn back for the field. CFI takes the controls and takes us back. Almost lost the radios before we landed. It appears the alternator decided to quit its job. If it wasn't for rotten luck I wouldn't have any luck lol. :dunno: The takeaway from this though, was that for the first time since I started this journey, I got to see my instructor land the plane, which gave me an opportunity to look around a little bit and get some better visual cues. It's just another win for me. Impossible not to learn something every time I go up. Cross your fingers for a repair by Saturday for me! :yes:

Edit: I have got to get my own plane...

So. Weather delayed us today. Sat around the school office talking planes and Oshkosh. Weather clears off. CFI and I go up. Plan was to do MCA and turns around a point. Just as I get to our planned altitude, intercom starts to break up, turn and bank indicator shuts off. Great. Turn back for the field. CFI takes the controls and takes us back. Almost lost the radios before we landed. It appears the alternator decided to quit its job. If it wasn't for rotten luck I wouldn't have any luck lol. :dunno: The takeaway from this though, was that for the first time since I started this journey, I got to see my instructor land the plane, which gave me an opportunity to look around a little bit and get some better visual cues. It's just another win for me. Impossible not to learn something every time I go up. Cross your fingers for a repair by Saturday for me! :yes:

Edit: I have got to get my own plane...
It's a great time to hit the books!

Touch and go's today! Finally getting the landing thing smoothed out to where I'm not disgusted with it, plus we had a crosswind component today to make it interesting. My CFI is pretty happy with my progress so far, so that is good news. Got to take a little break today and flew over to an aquintance of his that has a grass strip. We made a low pass to wake him up :D. Fun times! Loving every minute of this. Sat around the FBO afterwards watching the next student do his patterns, then talked with them for another 2 hours. Time flys when I get to talk aviation with like minded people! Going back up Wednesday, can't wait!

Touch and go's today! Finally getting the landing thing smoothed out to where I'm not disgusted with it, plus we had a crosswind component today to make it interesting. My CFI is pretty happy with my progress so far, so that is good news. Got to take a little break today and flew over to an aquintance of his that has a grass strip. We made a low pass to wake him up :D. Fun times! Loving every minute of this. Sat around the FBO afterwards watching the next student do his patterns, then talked with them for another 2 hours. Time flys when I get to talk aviation with like minded people! Going back up Wednesday, can't wait!

You are officially HOOKED....

Welcome to our disease.....:redface:........:D

An hour plus of instruction today. I am so close to consistently nailing those landings. Everything is dead on until I get about 3 feet off the runway. The holding the nose up and increasing back pressure steadily is not coming easily to me. It's all herky jerky. I'm not slamming it down, but it's not greasing in like I know it can. It's driving me nuts. I borrowed my buddy's GoPro so I have to take a look at the video and see if I can see what I'm doing wrong. Both my CFI and I were pouring sweat from the heat and I kept saying, "one more, one more." Going back up Saturday to do it again! I have got to get this figured out! Agh!

An hour plus of instruction today. I am so close to consistently nailing those landings. Everything is dead on until I get about 3 feet off the runway. The holding the nose up and increasing back pressure steadily is not coming easily to me. It's all herky jerky. I'm not slamming it down, but it's not greasing in like I know it can. It's driving me nuts. I borrowed my buddy's GoPro so I have to take a look at the video and see if I can see what I'm doing wrong. Both my CFI and I were pouring sweat from the heat and I kept saying, "one more, one more." Going back up Saturday to do it again! I have got to get this figured out! Agh!

Landing is like seducing a girl......

SLOW and easy and feel every move...:yes:

I hear ya, but it's driving me bonkers.

Just remember.. As your airspeed reduces , it takes more control input to achieve the same response..... And.... Ground effect will influence the final 3 feet or so... Think of it as a "cushion" of air preventing you from touching down...

Just remember.. As your airspeed reduces , it takes more control input to achieve the same response..... And.... Ground effect will influence the final 3 feet or so... Think of it as a "cushion" of air preventing you from touching down...

Yessir. Rudder control is under control. Ground effect, check. I have to get this video uploaded to my iPad to check on a theory I have. I'm 6'2, and I have long arms. Flying with left hand I think my elbow might be against the seat back when I get the yoke back to a certain point, because even with the trim wheel maxed out, it feels like I can't pull it back any more due to resistance in the yoke. I'm thinking maybe I have no more rearward travel left due to the seat back/door. Idk. I know how it's supposed to work, I just can't seem to consistently get it to work lol

Last edited:
Sounds like you're doing a lot of flying! Do you plan on joining the club for the J5 cub? It'll give you an excuse to get a tailwheel endorsement after your private pilot...

Sounds like you're doing a lot of flying! Do you plan on joining the club for the J5 cub? It'll give you an excuse to get a tailwheel endorsement after your private pilot...

I'm trying to do a lot of flying lol. Cub club??? What cub club?? Did I miss something?? I'm planning on tail wheel training immediately following my check ride, when that day finally comes. Like, immediately following lol. I want to buy a biplane, so a tail wheel endorsement is a must!

Today was MY day. Nailed those landings. I had to move the seat back a couple notches to get the clearance for my arm during the flare and hold off. 4 touch and go's and we were off into the wild blue yonder for slow flight and stalls! Good times! As much as I love all time in the air, it was great to get out of the pattern after landing smoothly consistently and go do some maneuvers. Stall recovery successful. That 172 doesn't even want to dip a wing in a stall. That hour + flew today it seemed. I'm doing all the radio calls now as well, without any prompting. Hung around the FBO talking to a couple King Air pilots who were grounded for maintenance. Good times. Going back up Tuesday! :yes:

Today was MY day. Nailed those landings. I had to move the seat back a couple notches to get the clearance for my arm during the flare and hold off. 4 touch and go's and we were off into the wild blue yonder for slow flight and stalls! Good times! As much as I love all time in the air, it was great to get out of the pattern after landing smoothly consistently and go do some maneuvers. Stall recovery successful. That 172 doesn't even want to dip a wing in a stall. That hour + flew today it seemed. I'm doing all the radio calls now as well, without any prompting. Hung around the FBO talking to a couple King Air pilots who were grounded for maintenance. Good times. Going back up Tuesday! :yes:

Uh oh.....

The disease has turned terminal............:sad::sad:..

Nothing will save you now but...

Shear money....;).......:D

Today's lesson. Wait for the winds to die down, then hit it. Crosswind landings, done deal. Engine out simulation, done deal. Pre-solo test, done deal. Loving this. It's all starting to feel more natural now, rather than forcing it. Cross country trip with my CFI on Saturday!

Today's lesson. Wait for the winds to die down, then hit it. Crosswind landings, done deal. Engine out simulation, done deal. Pre-solo test, done deal. Loving this. It's all starting to feel more natural now, rather than forcing it. Cross country trip with my CFI on Saturday!

Hopefully he/she will insist on pilotage , reading the sectional and NO GPS ..

Hopefully he/she will insist on pilotage , reading the sectional and NO GPS ..

Ben, we shall see. I'm going to ask for the sectional use, this is more of an opportunity for a ride along/xc/controlled airspace experience since my CFI was going there anyway for personal reasons. I'm betting though that he's going to just use the Garmin... I'll try to cross reference the sectional in there if I can. :dunno:

Back