New to this site, new to flying!

That is great! How many hours do you have in before your Pre-solo test?

Today's lesson. Wait for the winds to die down, then hit it. Crosswind landings, done deal. Engine out simulation, done deal. Pre-solo test, done deal. Loving this. It's all starting to feel more natural now, rather than forcing it. Cross country trip with my CFI on Saturday!

First Xcountry today. Watertown to Griffiss Airport. First time talking with controlled airspace. We used Flight Following. Now, Griffiss is a former Air Force Base, back in the day it had fighters there as well as B-52's. My CFI warned me that the runway was much longer and wider than I was used to, and that it might make for an interesting landing the first time. He wasn't kidding. When I was on short final I was staring at more concrete than I was used to seeing in the windscreen. Totally unfamiliar and it kind of messed with me. Not the prettiest landing, but it wasn't the worst I've ever done. The Million Air FBO was nice! Navigation using the GPS with some VOR usage in there at my request. Back home to Watertown easy enough. Crosswind landing at home and we were back. Another Xcountry this week! Looking forward to it!

Solo!!!

:yes:

Today was the day! Got up, did some pattern work, then my CFI said "taxi back to the ramp." I dropped him off at the FBO, and away I went! Wow, what a difference without the additional weight in the plane! I think it really kicked in that I was soloing when I was on base to final. I was like "I am doing this for real!" 3 touch and go's with the last being a full stop. I'm in it to win it now!

:D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
Re: Solo!!!

Today was the day! Got up, did some pattern work, then my CFI said "taxi back to the ramp." I dropped him off at the FBO, and away I went! Wow, what a difference without the additional weight in the plane! I think it really kicked in that I was soloing when I was on base to final. I was like "I am doing this for real!" 3 touch and go's with the last being a full stop. I'm in it to win it now!

Congratulations -- and welcome to the sky, Pilot.

You will never, ever forget this day. You have joined a very, very small club, with billions of humans before you longing to achieve what you have done.

Revel in it!

Congrats...... You will ALWAYS remember that moment...

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Congrats. You never forget that day.

More slow flight practice, stalls/recovery, and steep turns today. Also got into soft field/short field landings. I need to work on steep turns. It it just very counterintuitive to me to bank the airplane over at 45 degrees. But we're getting there. It was a perfect day for flying though. Winds calm, unlimited visibility. Another great day of flying!

Steep turns, turns around a point, s-turns, and short field landings today. I'm struggling a little bit with the steep turns. I never get things as quickly as I think I should. Eyes outside ok. I never bank it over as far as I should initially. Then I end up going up and down. I guess I just need to do it more. Short field landing is going well. Turns around a point are a little more difficult than I initially thought as well. All flying is good flying. Next weekend is my 2nd dual X-Country!

Saturday was a great day for flying. A haze prevented my steep turns practice due to the inconsistent horizon. So soft field and short field landings it was. That went fairly well. Looking at my last dual XC next weekend, with possibly a solo XC the same day if my funds hold out. After my lesson, my CFI says he's flying up to Plattsburgh with another student to look at a 150, do I want to tag along? Uh yeah! I spent most of the day Saturday in the air. I love it. On a side note, it'd been a few years since I'd been up to the old Plattburgh AFB, it's a shame the area can't generate more GA interest, that is a lot of ramp and runway wasting away up there. A nice big tower that isn't even used. :(

Ok time for an update. Got screwed by the weather two Saturday's ago, work obligations kept me on the ground till Friday afternoon. Went up Friday afternoon, flew another xc. IMO my landings were ugly not having flown for two weeks. Ugh. Tomorrow night is night flight! Looking forward to it!

Ok time for an update. Got screwed by the weather two Saturday's ago, work obligations kept me on the ground till Friday afternoon. Went up Friday afternoon, flew another xc. IMO my landings were ugly not having flown for two weeks. Ugh. Tomorrow night is night flight! Looking forward to it!

I LOVE night flights....:):):)

Enjoy ....

Night flight was AWESOME. Flew down to Syracuse from Watertown, got my FF cancelled (of course) did a touch and go, flew back to Watertown, and did 9 more takeoffs and full stop landings. My CFI said I did very well. I wasn't unhappy with my performance either so all in all, a good night. An expensive night, but a good night, with 2.2 hours on the Hobbs. :yes:

Cross Country to Grifiss and solo T/O Landings at a towered airport yesterday. Flew under the hood down there and then back. My instructor said I'd do great on my instrument rating based on my few short hops under the hood. We even practiced vectors with him acting as ATC. Anyways. My full stop landings and t/o's weren't bad, that huge runway doesn't intimidate me anymore apparently lol. Next Saturday, solo x/c! Woohoo! Can't wait! Going to fly up to Massena and back. I'm in in to win it now. The fun factor has come back X10 doing x/c and going places.

Cross Country to Grifiss and solo T/O Landings at a towered airport yesterday. Flew under the hood down there and then back. My instructor said I'd do great on my instrument rating based on my few short hops under the hood. We even practiced vectors with him acting as ATC. Anyways. My full stop landings and t/o's weren't bad, that huge runway doesn't intimidate me anymore apparently lol. Next Saturday, solo x/c! Woohoo! Can't wait! Going to fly up to Massena and back. I'm in in to win it now. The fun factor has come back X10 doing x/c and going places.

Boy....

You have the fever BAD.......

Enjoy the freedom of flying sir...:thumbsup:

I did my first solo XC today! Watertown to Massena, then Massena to Ogdensburg, then back to Watertown. 2.6 hours on the Hobbs. It felt great to actually go somewhere different, and by myself at that! Training is getting spendy now lol. I guess I was a little nervous with filing the flight plan and all the changing frequencies on the way up there, but I must have filed it all away somewhere because I pulled it off without a hitch! I even remembered to close my flight plan when I got back (I was worried about that as I've heard a lot of stories). This is so much fun. I had to laugh when I landed at Massena, as I said to myself, " I can't believe they let me take this plane all the way up here by myself ". It's very liberating to get away from the home drome solo. I'm just having a blast with this. :yes::goofy:

Last edited:
I did my first solo XC today! Watertown to Massena, then Massena to Ogdensburg, then back to Watertown. 2.6 hours on the Hobbs. It felt great to actually go somewhere different, and by myself at that! Training is getting spendy now lol. I guess I was a little nervous with filing the flight plan and all the changing frequencies on the way up there, but I must have filed it all away somewhere because I pulled it off without a hitch! I even remembered to close my flight plan when I got back (I was worried about that as I've heard a lot of stories). This is so much fun. I had to laugh when I landed at Massena, as I said to myself, " I can't believe they let fine take this plane all the way up here by myself ". It's very liberating to get away from the home drome solo. I'm just having a blast with this. :yes::goofy:

Congrats....

And the 10 step program to rid you of your addiction in now null and void...:D:D

I did my first solo XC today! Watertown to Massena, then Massena to Ogdensburg, then back to Watertown. 2.6 hours on the Hobbs. It felt great to actually go somewhere different, and by myself at that! Training is getting spendy now lol. I guess I was a little nervous with filing the flight plan and all the changing frequencies on the way up there, but I must have filed it all away somewhere because I pulled it off without a hitch! I even remembered to close my flight plan when I got back (I was worried about that as I've heard a lot of stories). This is so much fun. I had to laugh when I landed at Massena, as I said to myself, " I can't believe they let me take this plane all the way up here by myself ". It's very liberating to get away from the home drome solo. I'm just having a blast with this. :yes::goofy:

Student pilot here, no XC yet. Question about autopilot. Is it allowed on these flights? Encouraged/Discouraged/forbidden?

My experience so far is that I know how to turn it off(assuming it got turned on somehow). And I check the autopilot static port opening outside on preflight.

I know this is a question for my CFI, just throwing it out there to what others have been told.

THanks.

You should learn to use the autopilot. Whether your CFI wants you to use it for your cross country is up to the two of you. I'd suggest learning how to navigate using the old fashioned methods first, then after you know what you are doing and how to navigate without the help, then get good with the autopilot. After all, you want to be able to use all the resources inside the airplane. But the best resource is the one inside your skull.

I don't recommend ever using an autopilot as a student, except to learn how to use it. You need practice hand flying much more than you need autopilot practice.

But it really is between you and your instructor.

There are a few things that you MUST do prior to using it, not the least of which is to learn all the different ways to turn it off. There should be at least four. Overpower, disconnect switch, power switch, circuit breaker. There are also required preflight tests.

The only need you have of an autopilot as a student is to know how to use it on the off chance your examiner asks you to on your check ride (it's legit if it's in the airplane, but I've never heard of someone actually getting asked to use one on a private pilot check ride -- an instrument check ride is entirely different).

They are not perfect and can add significant complexity to your flying, depending on the model. Even the intermediate-complexity altitude trapping two axis controllers (e.g., KAP 140) have a lot of ways to screw up.

I don't recommend ever using an autopilot as a student, except to learn how to use it. You need practice hand flying much more than you need autopilot practice.

But it really is between you and your instructor.

There are a few things that you MUST do prior to using it, not the least of which is to learn all the different ways to turn it off. There should be at least four. Overpower, disconnect switch, power switch, circuit breaker. There are also required preflight tests.

The only need you have of an autopilot as a student is to know how to use it on the off chance your examiner asks you to on your check ride (it's legit if it's in the airplane, but I've never heard of someone actually getting asked to use one on a private pilot check ride -- an instrument check ride is entirely different).

They are not perfect and can add significant complexity to your flying, depending on the model. Even the intermediate-complexity altitude trapping two axis controllers (e.g., KAP 140) have a lot of ways to screw up.

Agreed 100%......

I fly a 1973 C172M. No autopilot, all hand flying. It makes you understand the need for keeping the plane in trim. :yes:

Local solo today. 1.1 hours of flying around, checking out the shoreline and close by islands. Couple landings back at the home drome and that was that. Snuck in the flight before the snow hit (already?):mad2: XC solo #2 next weekend! Love this solo flying! It still feels a little odd when I first takeoff being alone, though I'm not really aware of it after that anymore. The trees looked great from the air today!

Local solo today. 1.1 hours of flying around, checking out the shoreline and close by islands. Couple landings back at the home drome and that was that. Snuck in the flight before the snow hit (already?):mad2: XC solo #2 next weekend! Love this solo flying! It still feels a little odd when I first takeoff being alone, though I'm not really aware of it after that anymore. The trees looked great from the air today!

Aw...

Come on... Snow is GREAT.....:yes:

Snow? What's this snow thing? :p

I flew last night in shorts.

Nice exercise in night VFR cloud dodging. Plus a few custom holds and practice approaches (2 ILS, 1 LPV).

2nd solo XC today. Had to turn the heat on today! Another great flight, another entry in the logbook. Quickly running out of lessons and tasks to perform. Idk, the time may be coming soon for the check ride! :yikes:

I STILL think to myself every time I take off solo, " I still can't believe they let me take this plane out of sight by myself" ;)

Also, got word today that a XC trip opportunity to Florida may be coming up. THAT would be fun!

Safe flying everyone!

2nd solo XC today. Had to turn the heat on today! Another great flight, another entry in the logbook. Quickly running out of lessons and tasks to perform. Idk, the time may be coming soon for the check ride! :yikes:

I STILL think to myself every time I take off solo, " I still can't believe they let me take this plane out of sight by myself" ;)

Also, got word today that a XC trip opportunity to Florida may be coming up. THAT would be fun!

Safe flying everyone!

NY to FLA XC...... Now that is impressive.....:thumbsup:

I'm a new PoA member, and new pilot as well (10 hrs). I'm learning on a Cessna 140 (getting the taildragger cert).

I'm about to join the local flying club, so that I can solo and check ride with their C-172s.

I'm 40, and have always wanted to fly. My first word was airplane, seriously. I've sailed boats all my life, and raced cars since I was 17. To me, flying involves skills from sailing, power boating, and racing cars. Plus you have to add the 3rd dimension, of course! The wind and turbulence push you around the way that wind and waves push a boat around. Planes reward smoothness just as much as racing cars. Landing is a lot like trailering a boat (I'm so glad I have plenty of practice getting my fishing boat out of the lake on an unprotected ramp during stormy weather in Kansas.

Flying gives me a feeling not unlike racing cars. When I finally made consistently smooth landings during my last lesson, I felt like I had one a race. Addicted, indeed. Actually, I was an addict before hobbs hour 1.

So, now I have one more very expensive hobby to strain my middle class budget...

Welcome to PoA. Thanks for the introductory bio. We look forward to further progress reports.

Forgot to update after my last flight. Decided to do an hour of maneuvers. Boy, there's a skill that slips when you don't do it for a bit. Oh well, just keep keeping at it. Broke the 30 hour mark in the logbook now. Going up again Saturday as long as the weather holds out!

Yes, they do get rusty.

I have my annual CAP form 5 (kinda like a flight review) in a bit over a week, and took the 182 up yesterday for a set of maneuvers. Steep turns and short field landings needed some work. And the power-on stall dipped the right wing.

Yeah, last week my first steep turn was horrible, unless someone was filming for a "Tally Ho, I'm in" peel off and dive airplane scene lol. Looks like tomorrow is out, plane is down for mx. Gonna try for Sunday!

Due to weather and my CFI's being out of town, I didn't get to fly until yesterday. An hour of solo time, with variable winds, so I took off and landed on 3 of the 4 runways. Flew around a little and had fun with it. Getting down to the wire now, my instructor says I'll be ready for the check ride at or shortly after the 40hr mark. Wow, time is really flying now...

Back