New Registration Certificate

MJR Pilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
MJR Pilot
Recently got my updated registration certificate for the new 7-year change. My previous certificate was signed by the FAA administrator but the new one has no signature - it has a signature block but it’s empty. 91.203 requires an “effective” registration certificate - it doesn’t specifically say that it must be signed by the FAA administrator. So I’m thinking I’m in compliance, but curious if others have views or have looked into this? I emailed the FAA directly (probably dumb, I know) and did not receive a response. Appreciate any thoughts here.

Nothing - it’s blank, which I thought was weird.
To be clear, my certificate doesn’t have that box - it only has a box for “Acting FAA Administrator”, which was left blank.

To be clear, my certificate doesn’t have that box - it only has a box for “Acting FAA Administrator”, which was left blank.
Duh Sorry. Wrong certificate

1693940349756.png
But I would be expecting something in that box, as in this sample, not left completely blank. I haven't heard anything about the updates not being signed (maybe someone else here has) and I'd hesitate heading into a foreign country without it.

I wonder whether there was some period that there was no acting administrator before Trottenberg was appointed? Still seems weird to me too.

Duh Sorry. Wrong certificate

View attachment 120360
But I would be expecting something in that box, as in this sample, not left completely blank. I haven't heard anything about the updates not being signed (maybe someone else here has) and I'd hesitate heading into a foreign country without it.

I wonder whether there was some period that there was no acting administrator before Trottenberg was appointed? Still seems weird to me too.
Thanks, yes curious to hear if others who recently received certificates have the same issue.

My registration has a signature by Acting Administrator. Looks like maybe Billy somebody?

These are the newer reg certs with the 7 year period.

My registration has a signature by Acting Administrator. Looks like maybe Billy somebody?

These are the newer reg certs with the 7 year period.
Thanks. Yeah this my new certificate for the 7-year update as well - came in the mail 3 weeks ago, but no signature for acting FAA Admin.

Got mine about two months ago. I seem to remember it having the signature of the acting administrator. Cannot double check as the plane is going through the annual from hell. The AD with 1000 dollar v clamps among other expensive things. Need two of them with two more cheaper ones costing 200 dollars a piece. Only three weeks into it and not close to being done. Hopefully it will be done before the registration expires. Not holding my breath though.

The FAA should email them, simple…

Now they gonna have to mail out new corrected copies to everyone. Lol

The FAA should email them, simple…

Now they gonna have to mail out new corrected copies to everyone. Lol

That’s exactly what they are doing with Airworthiness Certificates now.

Emailing digitally signed pdfs.

Not sure why they can’t do that with registrations as well.

Actually they don’t even need to email the cert, the FAA could just send a notice that the cert is ready and maintain that the FAA website is the official record and pilots can download and retain digital copy or print one. Really a simple thing.

Thanks, yes curious to hear if others who recently received certificates have the same issue.

I got my revised registration within the last month and it has a signature.

My guess is that yours accidentally was mailed before the signature was applied.

Just received ours, and the Acting Administrator signature is in the box. I'd contact the registration branch and ask for a replacement.

I just received mine postmarked 8/29/23 and it is signed by Polly Trottenberg...

Could you scan it and upload it for @MJR Pilot and anyone else who might need it?
Sure. I was surprised to receive it. I don’t think renewal was due. At any rate I didn’t request it or pay for it. My other plane also shows 2029 registration expiration on the FAA N Number search but I haven’t received that cert yet.

Attachments

• IMG_1843.jpeg
    IMG_1843.jpeg
    365.1 KB · Views: 22
Sure. I was surprised to receive it. I don’t think renewal was due. At any rate I didn’t request it or pay for it.
The Feds recently extended the periodicity, so they are sending out replacement registration cards with the revised expiration date.[/QUOTE]

Well aware of the extension, just didn’t think it was retroactive. I expected it at the next renewal.

Well aware of the extension, just didn’t think it was retroactive. I expected it at the next renewal.
The regulatory change applied to all valid registrations in existence as of January 2023.

47.40(b)(2) "A Certificate of Aircraft Registration that is in effect on January 23, 2023 expires seven years after the last day of the month in which it is issued, notwithstanding the expiration date on the valid Certificate of Aircraft Registration."​

The last part of that - "notwithstanding the expiration date" was to avoid the necessity of issuing new certificates, but the FAA probably decided that there were too many potential issues with pulling out a registration that on its face was expired.

It was written that way to allow them time to print and mail replacement ones while the old ones are legal for flight.

The digital signature doesn't mean much when you're still obliged to print it out and stick it in the plane for it to be valid,.

The digital signature doesn't mean much when you're still obliged to print it out and stick it in the plane for it to be valid,.
Neither does an ink stamped one. Not, for that matter, one signed personally. In all cases they are just representations of being signed, subject to challenge as forgeries.

Thanks all. FYI - I heard back from the FAA this morning and they said it my certificate is still valid without the signature, though they will send a new one with the signature in the coming days. Think it was just an oversight on their part.

Back