New Pilot Looking for a Headset

whooonk

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Daniel
Hey there, I'm a new pilot currently starting my associates in Avionic Science with a goal of commercial career. As I am working and paying for it myself I need a budget headset that is quality enough to get me through the next couple years through my training. There are so many and such a huge range of cost. I need it to be quality because I will be in the plane a lot but cost is definitely an issue. Your suggestions and help would be very much appreciated!
Thanks,
Daniel

Do you want to still have hearing when you get further in your career?

You don't need top of the line, but you do need something that provides good attenuation. Your best bet is to go somewhere (Oshkosh works well) where you can try several on your head.

There are so many on the market,you need to try some out personally for fit,comfort. You just missed sun n fun but Osh is right around the corner.

Lightspeed Sierra ftw

Personally I use and recommend Clarity Aloft with the aftermarket triple flange inserts ...

I bought a set back in 2002. They have worked from -40f to 120f. Old fashioned service, dependable and first rate.

Or save money and make a passive headset into an ANR yourself.

But whatever you do, don't cheap out and get a passive headset or you WILL pay for it later. Just ask some of the old codgers on this site.

But whatever you do, don't cheap out and get a passive headset or you WILL pay for it later. Just ask some of the old codgers on this site.

My passive headset, an ASA, worked just fine and is still working. They're a bargain, have been around a long time, and come with a lifetime warranty. I went over to an ANR a while back, but the ASA still does duty for passengers. Perfectly acceptable for someone who is on a really tight budget. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/asaheadsetclassics.php

For a bit more money, a budget ANR headset is also a good choice. This one
is marketed under a variety of brand names. Mine is a GCA, but is basically the same headset. Works quite well.

With a budget headset, it's well worth buying a set of cloth earcup covers. Makes a world of difference in comfort. https://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/7371

I bought a set back in 2002. They have worked from -40f to 120f. Old fashioned service, dependable and first rate.

Or save money and make a passive headset into an ANR yourself.

There’s NO data to suggest that ANR is superior to passive when it comes to actual hearing protection. Hearing loss happens at high frequencies, where ANR does almost nothing and passive headsets provide significant protection.

There’s NO data to suggest that ANR is superior to passive when it comes to actual hearing protection. Hearing loss happens at high frequencies, where ANR does almost nothing and passive headsets provide significant protection.

So? Both passive and active headsets provide adequate protection, but ANR has better intelligibility.

Right. But “you WILL pay for it later” and “ask the codgers” sounds like he’s pushing ANR as a hearing preservation thing, and that’s far from clear.

Last edited:
So? Both passive and active headsets provide adequate protection, but ANR has better intelligibility.
That depends. I can agree about many/most of the dome PNRs but the good in-ear PNRs have incredible noise reduction and intelligibility. I originally looked into in-ear as a summer alternative for flying Diamonds which are basically a sauna. Unlike domes, they let me wear wide prim hats which help a lot. But they have gone full-time because of their noise attenuation and audio quality.

That depends. I can agree about many/most of the dome PNRs but the good in-ear PNRs have incredible noise reduction and intelligibility. I originally looked into in-ear as a summer alternative for flying Diamonds which are basically a sauna. Unlike domes, they let me wear wide prim hats which help a lot. But they have gone full-time because of their noise attenuation and audio quality.

I haven’t tried in-ears. I’ll take your word for it.

I haven’t tried in-ears. I’ll take your word for it.
Like the domes, there are good and bad. Plus there's also the fit/no fit issue. The first time I tried them several years ago, I loved the noise attenuation but didn't like the "stuffed up" feel. My summer in the Diamond led me to try again. My Lightspeed Zulu 3s have been gathering dust for the past 6 months.

I bought a set back in 2002. They have worked from -40f to 120f. Old fashioned service, dependable and first rate....
I don't see their ANR specifications listed on their website. Is that information in the User's manual?
I didn't find user manuals on their website and the one ANR module installation manual I downloaded didn't include the ANR specs.

Seems a very important specification to ignore.

Hey there, I'm a new pilot currently starting my associates in Avionic Science with a goal of commercial career. As I am working and paying for it myself I need a budget headset that is quality enough to get me through the next couple years through my training. There are so many and such a huge range of cost. I need it to be quality because I will be in the plane a lot but cost is definitely an issue. Your suggestions and help would be very much appreciated!
Thanks,
Daniel
Nobody has mentioned David Clark. I'll vouch for these as being a really solid option:
I got a used set here on this site, and they have done VERY well for me so far. I've gotten 35 hours and counting on the first set of batteries; they have a 6-pin option if you can use it to power from the plane.

Side note: As a musician, I have spent countless hours wearing headphones all the way from Wal-Mart grade to very high-end models. While I wouldn't put the DCs up to a serious studio set in terms of sound quality, the intelligibility is very, very good, and the ANR is very effective. Comfort is fine, but I'm probably not the best reviewer since I am very tolerant of "cans".

Nobody has mentioned David Clark. I'll vouch for these as being a really solid option:
I got a used set here on this site, and they have done VERY well for me so far. I've gotten 35 hours and counting on the first set of batteries; they have a 6-pin option if you can use it to power from the plane.

Side note: As a musician, I have spent countless hours wearing headphones all the way from Wal-Mart grade to very high-end models. While I wouldn't put the DCs up to a serious studio set in terms of sound quality, the intelligibility is very, very good, and the ANR is very effective. Comfort is fine, but I'm probably not the best reviewer since I am very tolerant of "cans".
I have the $350 DC 13. Very comfortable for my head and ears. You can’t beet DC customer service. I mangled one of my jacks, and they fixed and upgraded it - no charge. This was not warranty, just stupidity on my part. Now, to be clear - I drove to the factory (50 minutes from home) and dealt with their superb staff on a personal level. I am planning on getting one-x very soon, then use the 13’s for pax.

I have many hours behind Lightspeeds of various generations. Bose in turbines, and now a Dave Clark One-X that came with my partnership share. I will be shopping again at Oshkosh to see what I like the best of the current generation. For me, an ANR is a must. Besides generally being able to hear ATC better, I find I'm much less fatigued after multiple hours in the cockpit with an ANR vs without. If you buy used, you can likely get most of your money back out if you upgrade later.

I don't see their ANR specifications listed on their website. Is that information in the User's manual?
I didn't find user manuals on their website and the one ANR module installation manual I downloaded didn't include the ANR specs.

Seems a very important specification to ignore.
Try giving them a call and ask.

David Clark H10-13.4 is a good one and is relatively inexpensive compared to some others. No ANR but it works well enough for me.

I’ve flown DCs since the 1990s, with the exception of a six month period I was flight testing the first gen Bose ANR headset.

In really loud environments I flew with foam ear plugs under the DCs and that does a great job at isolating noise from audio. For me.

That last sentence is most important. Good pilot shops/FBOs will have in store headsets to try on. The headset has to feel good and fit well. You can find those at all budget points, but dropping a grand on something you didn’t even get to try on is ludicrous.

Back