New Orleans

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
So headed to the Big Easy next weekend for the NO Marathon. I've been there a few times but not for at least 10 years. I know the bars I want to goto but I have three goals:

1) Sip my Café DuMond coffee and munch on beignets
2) Got to a Crawfish boil or at least find a good place to have a bunch of crawfish
3) Have some kick ass Jambalaya.

Looking for recommendations for the crawfish and Jambalaya. Got one suggestion for the Ole New Orleans cookery for the Jambalaya any other suggestions

If Cafe Du Monde line gets too long Cafe Beignet is just down the street and the beignets there are great. We were there last weekend. We went to Cafe Du Monde, but the line was crazy and we wanted to do a tour starting in the morning.

So headed to the Big Easy next weekend for the NO Marathon. I've been there a few times but not for at least 10 years. I know the bars I want to goto but I have three goals:

1) Sip my Café DuMond coffee and munch on beignets
2) Got to a Crawfish boil or at least find a good place to have a bunch of crawfish
3) Have some kick ass Jambalaya.

Looking for recommendations for the crawfish and Jambalaya. Got one suggestion for the Ole New Orleans cookery for the Jambalaya any other suggestions

That's cool. You running or watching the marathon?

#1 - yep good place.
#2 & #3 - can't help you out there, do remember no shortage of good food places.

If you have the time, the World War II museum is awesome!

For the last two, some of the local, neighborhood places are great.

Thanks already saw that lots of good stuff in there but only one recommendation for the Jambalaya and nothing for the crawfish

^^^telling a MOD to use the search function, I like how you roll!! :cool:

Heh mods use the search function we put it there;) The difficulty comes in telling the posters to read before they post see above :p

Hit up Johnnys Po-Boys for lunch. Also I would recommend trying a muffuletta at some point.

We went to KNEW and went to the flightline first FBO. $10/night parking with one night waived with fuel. Nice FBO, good service, free beverages and cookies and things. Oh and don't rent a car, use Uber and walk in this city. I can't imagine trying to drive it and park anywhere.

I thought crawfish season only started in April (ish).

Love me some crawfish!!

I just got back from NOLA - Marched in the Krewe of Orpheus parade with the Madison Scouts alumni. :)

Here, I thought you were going to ask about FBOs and I was going to have all kinds of great advice - But something tells me given what you've posted so far that you're not taking the Bo. Why'd you buy a traveling airplane if you don't use it to travel with? :p

I'll be going back for spring break in a year or two hopefully, so looking forward to the suggestions here. A primary destination on the next trip is going to be the WWII museum, it's supposed to be fantastic.

I second the D-Day museum and there is a nice restaurant a short walk from there but I can't remember the name-a sandwich shop with about a hundred beers on tap. Yea, no "fresh" crawdads this time of year. Don't forget to bring lots of ones for the trolley. It's a great way to get around.

There's a "season" for freshwater cockroaches?

The yellow-green goo you get when you suck the heads from the aquatic version is maybe different from the white goo you get from smashing the terrestrial version? If I had to guess, it would taste like almonds...

I just got back from NOLA - Marched in the Krewe of Orpheus parade with the Madison Scouts alumni. :)

Here, I thought you were going to ask about FBOs and I was going to have all kinds of great advice - But something tells me given what you've posted so far that you're not taking the Bo. Why'd you buy a traveling airplane if you don't use it to travel with? :p

I'll be going back for spring break in a year or two hopefully, so looking forward to the suggestions here. A primary destination on the next trip is going to be the WWII museum, it's supposed to be fantastic.

If you want to talk about FBO’s, I’ll listen. Looking forward to making a couple trips down there this spring.

If you want to talk about FBO’s, I’ll listen. Looking forward to making a couple trips down there this spring.

I was going to go to Flightline First at KNEW, but had to miss the approach due to low vis with fog off the lake and go to MSY instead. The options there are $ignature and Atlantic (which is generally even more jet-oriented and expensive than $ignature).

Actually, I'll spell this one Signature. Yes, their fuel price to waive a night of parking and one of the handling fees was $6.48 (if you can put it in on a weekend, it's $0.50/gal off) and there are some non-waivable fees, but the overnights are only $11/night. My 7 gallons of fuel and all my fees came to about $100 for 5 nights, the facility was nice and the people were friendly.

I do plan to try to get into KNEW and go to Flightline First again on my next flight, just to support the only locally-owned FBO in town, but I wouldn't hesitate to go back to Signature at KMSY if that airport were more convenient to where I was going or the weather was bad at KNEW again.

I was going to go to Flightline First at KNEW, but had to miss the approach due to low vis with fog off the lake and go to MSY instead. The options there are $ignature and Atlantic (which is generally even more jet-oriented and expensive than $ignature).

Actually, I'll spell this one Signature. Yes, their fuel price to waive a night of parking and one of the handling fees was $6.48 (if you can put it in on a weekend, it's $0.50/gal off) and there are some non-waivable fees, but the overnights are only $11/night. My 7 gallons of fuel and all my fees came to about $100 for 5 nights, the facility was nice and the people were friendly.

I do plan to try to get into KNEW and go to Flightline First again on my next flight, just to support the only locally-owned FBO in town, but I wouldn't hesitate to go back to Signature at KMSY if that airport were more convenient to where I was going or the weather was bad at KNEW again.

I appreciate that. I’ve been wanting to try MSY, just for the fact the a bus line runs through there, but have always just used KNEW due to recommendations and advice that MSY would be ridiculously expensive.

I appreciate that. I’ve been wanting to try MSY, just for the fact the a bus line runs through there, but have always just used KNEW due to recommendations and advice that MSY would be ridiculously expensive.

It's only the second primary Bravo airport I've been to (also been to BWI several times), but I found the prices a lot more reasonable than some C and even D airports, which was a pleasant surprise.

Current prices at Signature KMSY for my Twin Comanche (just called): $49 handling/$10 landing fee, both waived with fuel purchase. $11 tiedown/overnight fee. Just as you said, but I expected somewhat higher for a light-twin. Rather high fuel prices; however, lack of exorbitant parking fees offsets that IMO. In comparison, parking at the hotel we’ve booked runs $42/night (valet only). Between bus, trolley, and Uber, we should do better than renting a car.

Now just need the weather to cooperate or we’ll be driving down! Lol

Jimmy J’s cafe for breakfast. Only eight tables. Waited outside in the rain to go ourselves. You’ll thank me later.

If Cafe Du Monde line gets too long Cafe Beignet is just down the street and the beignets there are great. We were there last weekend. We went to Cafe Du Monde, but the line was crazy and we wanted to do a tour starting in the morning.

Best Beignet IMHO is over in the French Quarter almost to the end away from downtown, and I can’t remember the name of the place. Argh. Also chicory coffee.

Alton Brown did a piece on it a number of years ago. Very limited seating when the weather isn’t good, outdoor seating doubles the size of the place when no weather.

But it’s hard to have a bad beignet really. So there’s that.

Oh... there we go. It’s a Cafe Beignet also...

d97aabecabe4e97afa99213688d050d0.jpg

You also want to eat at Mother’s. Not a tourist trap, locals eat there. Prepare to leave very full.

2d0836003a76f72363fb009d68c42f4b.jpg

And now I see most of this thread was in February and then revived. Oh well, if I missed it, it’s here for later searches. ;)

Best Beignet IMHO is over in the French Quarter almost to the end away from downtown, and I can’t remember the name of the place. Argh. Also chicory coffee.

Alton Brown did a piece on it a number of years ago. Very limited seating when the weather isn’t good, outdoor seating doubles the size of the place when no weather.

But it’s hard to have a bad beignet really. So there’s that.

That's Cafe Beignet, the one I recommended. We saw signs in there about Alton Brown being there for his show.

I second the D-Day museum and there is a nice restaurant a short walk from there but I can't remember the name-a sandwich shop with about a hundred beers on tap. Yea, no "fresh" crawdads this time of year. Don't forget to bring lots of ones for the trolley. It's a great way to get around.

It changed from the D-Day Museum to the National WW2 museum and has gotten much better (and still growing). Also - if you want to sound local: it's a streetcar, only tourists call it a trolly. :p

Hope you had a good time here. Mudbugs will be in season shortly; honestly some of the best ones in town are at local grocery stores. Rouses cooks them in the parking lot all day and there's usually a line to buy them by the pound.

Current prices at Signature KMSY for my Twin Comanche (just called): $49 handling/$10 landing fee, both waived with fuel purchase. $11 tiedown/overnight fee. Just as you said, but I expected somewhat higher for a light-twin. Rather high fuel prices; however, lack of exorbitant parking fees offsets that IMO. In comparison, parking at the hotel we’ve booked runs $42/night (valet only). Between bus, trolley, and Uber, we should do better than renting a car.

Now just need the weather to cooperate or we’ll be driving down! Lol

I finally made the trip a couple weeks ago. Spent Monday-Thursday there during my son’s spring break. Even though I called ahead and explained that I’d be flying a Twin Comanche in, they misrepresented their fees to me. Break down: $25 landing fee and $79 handling charge waived with fuel. $5 infrastructure fee and $21/night ramp fee not waived. I guess as a consolation for lying to me, they gave me the .50/gal fuel weekend discount at the direction of the lineman, even though the lady at the desk complained about it being a day early. Friendly enough people and getting in/out of MSY couldn’t have been easier.

$45 UBER ride to/from hotel near French Quarter, which saved a $42/night parking charge. Jazzy Pass made streetcar and city buses cheap transportation. We were walking distance from French Quarter, WWII Museum (which was terrific, albeit expensive), and aquarium. Rode the St Charles St Streetcar to the zoo one day.

Good trip all in all. I’ll probably try KNEW next time, although I don’t like not having a crosswind rwy option.

Back