New Orleans! Any suggestions?

Now that the busy season is blessedly behind us, we're looking at a few days of R&R in New Orleans next week.

Incredibly, I've never been there, and Mary hasn't since she was a teenager. We're looking for the most GA friendly airport, and some recommendations for non-franchise accommodations.

We've heard that getting off the beaten trail can be more exciting than we might like. True? Any must-see bars/night clubs/restaurants?

Thanks!

I suggest Char Grilled Oysters at Acme or Drago's... both have locations in the Quarter.

Grab a drink at Jean LaFitte's Blackjack, oldest bar in town...

I know of a few happening clubs on Bourbon my lady friends liked to go to for the dancing, but the unisex bathrooms might not be your cup of tea...

I suggest Char Grilled Oysters at Acme or Drago's... both have locations in the Quarter.

Grab a drink at Jean LaFitte's Blackjack, oldest bar in town...

I know of a few happening clubs on Bourbon my lady friends liked to go to for the dancing, but the unisex bathrooms might not be your cup of tea...
D

Haw! Yeah, we've seen some interesting sights here. We are just down the hall from the "Truman Capote Room", and I understand why he felt at home here.

We had a helluva night in the Quarter last night. One for the books. :D

Looking forward to a slightly more sober day in N.O. today...

What happens in N.O. stays in N.O.. ..... .. .... .. ... .

No followup posts? :confused:

Must have been one of those smile and grin but don't ask and I'll never tell trips. :D

Good job staying open minded about places. Good grief.

Jay feels strongly about chain hotels. As he is a hotelier, I grant him that privilege in my kingdom.

Last edited:
Jay feels strongly about chain hotels. As a hotelier, I grant him that privilege in my kingdom.
He definitely has the right, hotelier notwithstanding. My point, which I failed to make due to brevity, was that not all chain hotels are monolithic.

This place has Villas and house boats for rent and they have a shuttle to the quarter.
http://www.pontchartrainlanding.com/pages/resort.html

Back in the day. I took many a date flying from BTR to Lakefront then out to eat in the quarter. A flight over the CBD at night looking down into the city lights and back to BTR.. (ATC is used to requests to flyover the CBD and will work with you.) Those were really a nice trips and unually ended with good results. :devil:

As mentioned before departing lake front at night bring your "A" game. You have NO visual reference over the black hole of the lake.

Visited the site for Pontchatrain Landing. What a neat concept. Looks like walking distance from KNEW.

It does look close to lake front. Not sure I would want to walk there. We just found out about it recently and we are planning on staying there for the international Dyslexia conference in November. I'll report back after we have stayed there.

It does look close to lake front. Not sure I would want to walk there. We just found out about it recently and we are planning on staying there for the international Dyslexia conference in November. I'll report back after we have stayed there.

I wouldn't recommend walking there. That road (Stars and Stripes Blvd) is pretty industrial. The neighborhoods around knew aren't the best. I've got a spare truck I can bring you or the FBO's will give you a lift in the courtesy car.

Have to go once, but once is enough. Unfortunately it's pure tourist trap nowadays.

Take the streetcar out to Loyola and Tulane (they're beautiful), stop at Zea's restaurant at St Charles & Melpomene (get the corn grits).

If you find yourself on Bourbon St saying "we've got time for a few more drinks", LEAVE NOW! (the last time I was there, I don't know how I got back to the hotel, and I had the worst hangover of my life)

Was there 2 weeks before Katrina (yeah it's been a while). Went down Bourbon drinking Hurricanes. Worst hangover in my life the next morning.

I wouldn't recommend walking there. That road (Stars and Stripes Blvd) is pretty industrial. The neighborhoods around knew aren't the best. I've got a spare truck I can bring you or the FBO's will give you a lift in the courtesy car.

Thanks for the offer. We are in Baton Rouge driving and bringing the camper down that week.

The wx is trying to get better but it sounds like rain in the next few days. There's another RV park that is just outside the .25, right next to I-10. You might want to check that one out too.

Jay,
You did not have a hotel reservation when you arrived at New Orleans?

WOW- We have been staying at the Monteleone for the last 25 years and have never received that low a rate.

I will be sure to talk with that Lady at the frount desk on our next trip.

........the lady at the desk got us a screaming good deal at the Hotel Monteleone,........

If you've never been Cafe du Monde is worth the trip. Fried dough coated in powdered sugar mmmmmm.

If you do go there, go to the back side of the cafe to wait for a table to open up. The staff doesn't seat people. As a result, a large line in the front develops as tourists patiently wait for a table to open up. (You see a line form, what are you going to do? Get in the back of the line, right?) The locals go to the backside of the cafe, and then just grab a table immediately as they come open.

Shh. Don't tell the other tourists, though.

Back