New member in North Carolina

Brian A Johns

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
BAJ
Hello all - My name is Brian and I just created an account here. I have had my PPL for a little over a year and just bought a 1970 Piper Cherokee 180 so am now flooded with airplane owner thoughts for the first time. Seemed like a good time to join a community of pilots as I am sure I'll have 10K questions I need help with.

Welcome, where are you based in NC? I am at 8A7 near Winston Salem.

Welcome, from another piper flyer. Glad u chose a plane with the wings in the right place

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You have a plane, Nate... just go get them thar burgers.
Nate is evol. He lures pilots to ALS with promises of free lunch then makes said pilots haul his et. al. to APA to consume previously promised lunch.

You have a plane, Nate... just go get them thar burgers.

Aren’t any burgers around here that look that good.

Nate is evol. He lures pilots to ALS with promises of free lunch then makes said pilots haul his et. al. to APA to consume previously promised lunch.

Hahaha. You know PL was a better lunch than anything we could have found in Alamosa. ;) Unless we stole those steaks the shop was about to grill up... which was tempting. Hahaha.

Welcome,you will have no shortage of opinions.

Welcome Brian with an I. We have another Bryan with a y who just became an owner. Fire away!

Oh, I'm in Alabama, heart of the real Southeast. Don't pay any attention to those Carolina boys.

Welcome aboard

Where in NC are you?

Welcome aboard

Where in NC are you?

Based at KHNZ for the time being. Would like to get closer to KBUY but having trouble finding a hangar and can't really justify higher costs in Burlington for now. Would also like to get it over o KDAN possibly but no vacancies for the moment. I trained at KHNZ so know the community well and there is alot to be said for that. If anyone has any great hangar ideas (I live in Mebane NC) I would be interested to hear them. I'd like to avoid grass but otherwise am open to thoughts.

8A7 has some open spots I think but it is a bit run down and a pretty far drive from Mebane. The bright side is it's cheap and they are supposedly going to start doing some upgrades over the next year or two.

8A7 has some open spots I think but it is a bit run down and a pretty far drive from Mebane. The bright side is it's cheap and they are supposedly going to start doing some upgrades over the next year or two.

Thanks. Yeah, pretty far to drive to store the plane but its a destination I had hoped to visit to see the avionics displays (twin lakes, right?). I heard they have a nice avionics shop there. I have a GTN 650 that I have no idea how to use for all practical purposes.

Yes there is a nice avionics shop there. Very friendly owners as well. Let me know when you plan to stop by and I will try to meet you out there.

I have a GTN 650 that I have no idea how to use for all practical purposes.

Most avionics shops won’t be much help with that. You’ll want to do some self-study and find a nerdy CFII who likes the stuff — or one who grew up not even knowing airplanes that don’t have a Garmin on board. Haha. Either one.

Are you aware of the simulator software? That can be a help if you’re just trying to learn the “buttonology” and know what you want the box to do. If you’re still at the stage of not knowing what you want the box to do for you, then it’s definitely CFI/CFII time. They can tailor the process to exactly where you are with the flying. And of course the airplane will fly just fine and even get from place to place with the GTN turned all the way off... but you probably know that. :)

Welcome. NC is a great state to fly around. Mountains to oceans....doesn't get any better.

Go download the free Garmin gtn trainer app. It's free in the apple App Store. You will be a gtn guru in no time.

Blue Skies.

I really miss NC. Used to be based at KEXX but lived in Winston-Salem and Kernersville.

Some of the most beautiful flying I’ve ever done. If you haven’t taken the trip to KFFA you need to do it. It’s mandatory for anyone within 5 hours.

I have a ton of Cherokee 180 time too, most as an owner so I may have some advice for ya there too.

Hello all - My name is Brian and I just created an account here. I have had my PPL for a little over a year and just bought a 1970 Piper Cherokee 180 so am now flooded with airplane owner thoughts for the first time. Seemed like a good time to join a community of pilots as I am sure I'll have 10K questions I need help with.
Welcome, from Wilmington NC

Thanks. Yeah, pretty far to drive to store the plane but its a destination I had hoped to visit to see the avionics displays (twin lakes, right?). I heard they have a nice avionics shop there. I have a GTN 650 that I have no idea how to use for all practical purposes.

There is a free simulator download from garmin to learn the 650. Once you see what it is doing, it really only takes a few hours to get familiar with flipping between the pages

Back