New member in North Carolina

Welcome! Good to have another southern pilot here; damn yankee carpetbaggers have been taking over the place. Limber up your typing fingers and join in!

Wait, what? He said NORTH Carolina, what's "SOUTH" East about that??? Most of ya'll don't even think Alabama is in the southeast . . . .

They can't help it. Geography ya know, it isn't for everyone.

Thanks. Yeah, pretty far to drive to store the plane but its a destination I had hoped to visit to see the avionics displays (twin lakes, right?). I heard they have a nice avionics shop there. I have a GTN 650 that I have no idea how to use for all practical purposes.
What have you used? If you've used a 430/530, the transition is pretty simple. As others suggested, the simulator available for PC and iPad is a good way to get familiar with the interface. There are a number of CFIs in this area who are very familiar with it. It's a staple at my flying club and is in one if the airplanes I teach in.

I have a native NC friend who refers to me as a Yankee. Of course, I was born and grew up south of the Mason-Dixon line and lived the past 25 years before moving to NC in Virginia. I think he's annoyed that I do better barbecue than him.

Are you aware of the simulator software?
I have a GTN750 and knew very little about all the bells and whistles until I downloaded the simulator... Only caveat is that it only runs on apple devices... They say it will work on others but dam if I could get it to work... But if you have an Ipad or mac, it is definitely the way to go... You can work thru the "buttonology" while sitting safely in your favorite chair, at home...

I have a GTN750 and knew very little about all the bells and whistles until I downloaded the simulator... Only caveat is that it only runs on apple devices... They say it will work on others but dam if I could get it to work... But if you have an Ipad or mac, it is definitely the way to go... You can work thru the "buttonology" while sitting safely in your favorite chair, at home...

Bah! I’m running the simulator on a windows 10 computer.

Yep. You just need to download the PC version.

did that on 3 different computers... 1 desktop and 2 laptops running windows 7 and 10. Couldn't get it to work...It would load okay but would stall as soon as the app opened... Got it on my Ipad now... At my age, I'm done with challenges... so I easily relent to the course of least resistance... Anything Garmin does for the PC is an afterthought/appeasement, IMHO...

did that on 3 different computers... 1 desktop and 2 laptops running windows 7 and 10. Couldn't get it to work...It would load okay but would stall as soon as the app opened... Got it on my Ipad now... At my age, I'm done with challenges... so I easily relent to the course of least resistance... Anything Garmin does for the PC is an afterthought/appeasement, IMHO...
I've had a different experience. Except for the very resource intensive G1000 ones, I've never had an issue running a Garmin sim on my Windows laptop or desktop. I actually use it more than the iPad one, particularly for my periodic videos to answer usage questions

I've had a different experience. Except for the very resource intensive G1000 ones, I've never had an issue running a Garmin sim on my Windows laptop or desktop. I actually use it more than the iPad one, particularly for my periodic videos to answer usage questions

That video now is “rubber band in the new waypoint on ForeFlight, shove into 650 via Flightstream 510” right? :) :) :)

Thanks to everyone for all the welcome notes and encouragement. Great groups of folks here I can see.

....I actually use it more than the iPad one, particularly for my periodic videos to answer usage questions

is it me or is there no audio? seems like you did a step that wasn't necessary. you added a waypoint to recents, and then inserted it, why not just insert it? then it automatically becomes a recent, as opposed to you searching for and adding it to recents. OR, assuming you have a flight plan in there, just do a direct to. it'll still keep you flight plan in case you want to delete the direct to.

is it me or is there no audio? seems like you did a step that wasn't necessary. you added a waypoint to recents, and then inserted it, why not just insert it? then it automatically becomes a recent, as opposed to you searching for and adding it to recents. OR, assuming you have a flight plan in there, just do a direct to. it'll still keep you flight plan in case you want to delete the direct to.

Buttonology War in 3... 2... 1... :)

yeah, I guess, but I'm all about 'less buttons'. least amount of clicks to get the job done.

I’ll settle for “beat the GPS into submission” in a few weeks. Hahaha.

“I don’t know WTF it’s doing now, but I know how to clear this and then do Direct, Enter, Enter! While keeping the airplane upright! I want my ADF back!”

#oldschool

:)

Welcome to the POA Funny Farm.:goofy: Check YouTube... Garmin has a series of videos, with one of their CFIs, that cover the basic functions of the GTN units. Then use the app and you'll be a guru before you know it... :yes:

No, there's no audio. This is one of a few quickies I did in little more than the time it takes to watch it to answer a question someone asked. Probably could have deleted it after the thread was done but who knows what one might find helpful or satisfy a need for a snide remark or "thumbs down"? (I'm not referring to you)

Like most every piece of software, there are multiple ways of accomplishing the same thing. On a PC, some prefer keyboard shortcuts to mouse clicks. On a G1000, some like to enter their flight plan on the PFD; others the MFD. (My goal when I teach is to help the student find the best way for them.)

In this case though, I did exactly what you said in your final OR, just a direct to. But then I followed up by inserting it into the flight plan and used Recents instead of entering it manually.

Just my preference in this situation. I am flying IFR with a flight plan. ATC gives me an amendment with new waypoints not already in my flight plan. perhaps a new waypoint to get around some weather before continuing on course (BTDT). Might be one or a series.

Yes, I can go to the flight plan and enter it/them there to begin with. As my SOP, I'd rather hit direct to, enter the first one, make the turn and whatever else I need to do to start flying there, stabilize on the new course, and then insert the new waypoints Into the flight plan at my leisure, even at the risk of some extra clicks, twists or taps.

Let's call it my version of, "aviate, navigate, communicate, buttonate." You find another way better for you, excellent.

Last edited:
Back