New guy on the block looking for input...

Joel Chance

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
JCsrollin
Hey there Guys and Gals,

My name is Joel and I'm new to the sight. I put in a Google search for any forums where I might find amputee/disabled pilots and... Bingo!... found ya'll. So here's my predicament... I used to fly back in the late '80s before I joined the Navy. During those 6 years, I got married, had kids and went back to college. Right after I got out, I continued going to school and additionally worked two jobs... so flying was simply not in the picture. Then, in 2000 I was in a motorcycle accident and shattered a portion of my spine so now I'm a complete paraplegic from the mid chest-down. And... to put the cherry on the top, I most recently had to have my lower legs removed at the knees. Thankfully, my upper body is in great shape. So what does all of this have to do with the price of tea in China? I WANT TO FLY AGAIN SOOO BADLY!!! However... is it even possible in my condition??? Does anyone out there have some input or guidance for me? Even if the answer is "No way Jose'!", I would still be grateful for the illumination upon my dream.

Thank you all in advance for whoever took the time to ready this. I'd be truly appreciative of any advise you might be able to share with me. Oh, forgot to mention, I'm 51 so I don't have much time to accomplish my goal if it is possible. Thanks again and have an awesome day!

Joel

Follow your dream,do a google search ,there are schools out there ,with specially equipped aircraft.Good luck .

Very inspiring. I hope you are a me to achieve your dream
Thank you Mulligan! I never set out to be an inspiration. I just wanted to survive for the sake of my kids. Now that they are grown and living their own lives, I can turn the focus back toward some of my goals. It has been one helluva journey tho'... over 27 surgeries to cover a variety of issues and setbacks. As of just recently, I'm experiencing the first fairly "normal" state in over 15 years. I want to do everything I can to take advantage of it to include flying if it's still an option. My two biggest obstacles are my physical condition and then the financial aspect. But, I'm a pretty tenacious guy and I will seek out every conceivable option and resource to assist me in reaching this goal... as long as I know for a fact, it's a possibility. Hey, thank you again for your kind words. They mean a lot to me... truly.

You might look at weight shift trikes. I'm sure something could be rigged with hand brakes, if it's not an option already.

BTW... The rudders in the Ercoupe are integrated with the ailerons, so no rudder pedals. That's about all I know about them.

In case you need some inspiration.

Dude, YOU rock!!! Thank you SO much for that video! You are right about "inspiration"! I just wonder if the Ercoupes are the only plane amps/paras can fly? Certainly there must be others out there with mods, right?

You might look at weight shift trikes. I'm sure something could be rigged with hand brakes, if it's not an option already.

BTW... The rudders in the Ercoupe are integrated with the ailerons, so no rudder pedals. That's about all I know about them.
Hi Andy,
Thanks so much for the info my friend! And thanks for clarifying the issue of lack of rudder pedals on the Ercoupe! Very much appreciated. Have a great evening!

It is absolutely possible. I had a teacher in high school who was a paraplegic pilot. His plane had hand controls for the rudder. Unfortunately he passed away a few years ago. But it can definitely be done! Where are you located? Maybe someone nearby can help you get started.

There are still Ercoupes around with no rudder pedals...

I would be more inclined to go the Cessna Cardinal (C177B or RG) route. The wide doors let you wheel yourself up to the seat, get in, and pull your chair in behind. Check with Cardinal Flyers online. There is at least one amputee member. The rudder peddles can be rigged to be operated by hand.

Back in the early 1990s I remember watching a pilot from Idaho named Steve Soper who flew an airshow aerobatic routine in a modified Cessna 337 (yep, a twin). He broke his back in an aviation accident on take-off in his Pitts biplane and lost the use of his legs. The 337 was modified for hand controls, and I think that choice of aeroplane facilitated his ingress/egress from a wheelchair. If I recall he eventually retired from active performing and went on to become an air boss.

You don't have to make a living from aerobatics or airshows to find a reason to fly. Go for it!

It is absolutely possible. I had a teacher in high school who was a paraplegic pilot. His plane had hand controls for the rudder. Unfortunately he passed away a few years ago. But it can definitely be done! Where are you located? Maybe someone nearby can help you get started.
Awesome!!! Thank you for the great news!!! I'm in Southern CA, by a small town called Santa Paula. They have a small airport there... my dad (former navy fighter pilot) and I used to go there all the time to look at the planes and watch 'em do their "crash and dashes". I'll have to see if they're set up for someone in my condition.

I would be more inclined to go the Cessna Cardinal (C177B or RG) route. The wide doors let you wheel yourself up to the seat, get in, and pull your chair in behind. Check with Cardinal Flyers online. There is at least one amputee member. The rudder peddles can be rigged to be operated by hand.
Thanks so much for the info! Yeah, I figure I'll probably have a better chance finding a Cardinal than a Ercoupe. =) And thank you for sharing the Cardinal link with me! I sincerely appreciate it!

Back in the early 1990s I remember watching a pilot from Idaho named Steve Soper who flew an airshow aerobatic routine in a modified Cessna 337 (yep, a twin). He broke his back in an aviation accident on take-off in his Pitts biplane and lost the use of his legs. The 337 was modified for hand controls, and I think that choice of aeroplane facilitated his ingress/egress from a wheelchair. If I recall he eventually retired from active performing and went on to become an air boss.

You don't have to make a living from aerobatics or airshows to find a reason to fly. Go for it!
I hear ya' brother! Even when I was flying back in the late 80's, it was for pure joy! And that's what I'm looking to recreate! Thank you for the encouragement my friend! I am truly, truly grateful!

It's definitely possible. My flight school has a Flight Design CTLS set up for hand controls, mentioned in this article (Peak Aviation)
That's SO great to hear!!! I'm also encouraged to read about Able Flight's Scholarship Program. I'll definitely be applying for that! If I'm blessed to receive it, perhaps you'll see me at your flight school next year! Thank you so much for sharing this information with me! I'm ever so grateful!!! =)

Brian's pretty active here. I sent him a poke to follow this thread.
Thank you Jeff!!! I can use all the contacts and input possible at this point. I sincerely appreciate your following through like that! That was very cool of you my friend! Have a great day! =)

Copy that... get checked out on the "red handle". Dare I ask why the silly grin???
It's a reference to the chute pull on a cirrus. Bryan (screen name sixpapacharlie) made a satire video that the pilot geeks here (me included) loved.

It's a reference to the chute pull on a cirrus. Bryan (screen name sixpapacharlie) made a satire video that the pilot geeks here (me included) loved.
Aaaah... Thank you for the clarification! I am familiar with that function on the Cirrus. If you can, I'd love a link to Brian's video!

Dude, I think you are totally in luck:

http://www.wheelchairaviators.org/

"The Southern California Wheelchair Aviators (SCWA) was started by Bill Blackwood, Ed Hays, Dan Rodewald, and Neil Adler. Over the years it has developed into a worldwide group of disabled and able bodied (A/B) pilots interested in aviation and flying.
Members have many different disabilities including..."

https://www.facebook.com/International-Wheelchair-Aviators-181916075803/?v=wall

International Wheelchair Aviators
82 Corral Drive,Keller, TX 76244
Phone: 817-229-4634
E-mail: wheelchairaviators@yahoo.com

Last edited:
I have a good friend here that owns a Cardinal RG and flies with hand controls on the rudder. He does a great job in the airplane and even flies the Idaho back country strips. If you PM me I will give you his phone number. He is actually legally a Quad as he has limited use of his hands but can get in and out of the Cardinal and stick his chair behind the seat unassisted. Don

I recently saw a cardinal for sale on tradeaplane.com that had a different hand controls installed from the typical Union Aviation Hand Controls http://www.freedomintheair.org/hand-controls/

Other than that I live in Nebraska so I don't even know a pilot that uses the hand controls.

The FAA certification process (statement of demonstrated ability) should be the same for anyone so if you need a description of how you go from non-certificated pilot to a certificated pilot, I have been down that road.

If you can tell us more about you goals we should be able to give better answers. What do you want to do? Want to buy a plane? What kind of missions do you want to fly?

There's a good picture of the access that Cardinal's provide. I'm sitting in a wheelchair there.

I'm a mechanic too and Dad has pretty much given up flying and gave the Cardinal to me. I've had it now for about 4 years and have done a huge amount of work on it so I'm very familiar with their quirks and maintenance issues (every airplane has them just not all the same). Just finishing up an interior makeover and basically redoing all the radios.

Dude, I think you are totally in luck:

http://www.wheelchairaviators.org/

"The Southern California Wheelchair Aviators (SCWA) was started by Bill Blackwood, Ed Hays, Dan Rodewald, and Neil Adler. Over the years it has developed into a worldwide group of disabled and able bodied (A/B) pilots interested in aviation and flying.
Members have many different disabilities including..."

International Wheelchair Aviators
82 Corral Drive,Keller, TX
Phone: 817-229-4634
E-mail: wheelchairaviators@yahoo.com
Brother, YOU are my new best friend!!! Thank you SOOO much for this information!!! This is AWESOME!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :D

I have a good friend here that owns a Cardinal RG and flies with hand controls on the rudder. He does a great job in the airplane and even flies the Idaho back country strips. If you PM me I will give you his phone number. He is actually legally a Quad as he has limited use of his hands but can get in and out of the Cardinal and stick his chair behind the seat unassisted. Don
Hi Don, I'm afraid I'm new to these sorts of forums so would mind schooling me on the procedure for sending a PM? Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Back