New Garmin Avionics 3/25/19

I would imagine that there'll be a good used market for G5s, since I wouldn't be surprised if a fair number of people with dual G5 setups elect to go with the G3X Touch and keep ONE of their G5s for backup and sell the other.
can you not also keep the HSI as 2nd indicator and connect it to say 375?

I would imagine that there'll be a good used market for G5s, since I wouldn't be surprised if a fair number of people with dual G5 setups elect to go with the G3X Touch and keep ONE of their G5s for backup and sell the other.

The buyer of the used G5s will need to buy an STC LOA if they don't already hold one. Last I knew it was $800.

Or the seller could buy one to sell with the used G5.

I don't think you can connect two GAD29 to the same GTN and run two separate HSIs. The HSI sets the OBS and I don't think two G5s with the same identity can do that.

Like wise, I don't think you can connect three G5s to the same GAD29

I don't think you can connect two GAD29 to the same GTN and run two separate HSIs. The HSI sets the OBS and I don't think two G5s with the same identity can do that.

I was envisioning the question as being about a completely separate navigator + indicator, but you're right, in the G3X Touch you can have both navs connected (unlike the G5) so there isn't much point anyway.

If you don’t need autopilot, do you need the 29 or magnetometer?
If you have a 255,sl40...can you just connect the hsi g5 to 255, skip the gtn connection (it has its own internal gps).

Tom

In that case the G5 being used as a CDI would need a magnetometer too.
in my case, the HSI will be a slave to SL-30 replacing a 106B... would that need a magnetometer as well? already have one installed that feeds both G5. moot point anyway unless I start a GoFundMe page and raise 50k

in my case, the HSI will be a slave to SL-30 replacing a 106B... would that need a magnetometer as well? already have one installed that feeds both G5. moot point anyway unless I start a GoFundMe page and raise 50k

It might work without a magnetometer in that case, but not sure.

Last edited:
Hopefully it will be an stc for PA32R for GFC auto pilot

Nope... That's on the "scheduled to begin certification in the next 12 months" list.

The supported aircraft list was updated yesterday - The latest addition to the "done" section was the Mooney M20M (Bravo), M20R (Ovation), and M20S (Eagle); the latest addition period was the Beech A36 to the "in progress" list: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/604257#additional

IF I read it correctly the 375 has a full transponder built in. We were about to put a 345D in but for $3k more I could have a complete backup GPSS unit.

DId I read the specs wrong?

IF I read it correctly the 375 has a full transponder built in. We were about to put a 345D in but for $3k more I could have a complete backup GPSS unit.

DId I read the specs wrong?

You are correct but the 375 doesn't have diversity like the 345D does, if that matters to you.

upload_2019-3-27_7-0-47.png

Last edited:
Seems like an odd thing omit but I assume all the various ADS-B solutions have similar issues, No?

BTW, how did you determine this? I've been looking at ADS-B solutions for a while and I don't recall seeing this discussed in any detail.

Thanks for pointing this out. Useful and educational discussion.

b/w if I am reading this correctly G3X will drive Century AP (attitude based)…. so I guess that's one way of getting rid of the vacuum system

b/w if I am reading this correctly G3X will drive Century AP (attitude based)…. so I guess that's one way of getting rid of the vacuum system

From what I've seen no, not the way everyone wants, it will not replace the attitude gyro in attitude based autopilots.

From what I've seen no, not the way everyone wants, it will not replace the attitude gyro in attitude based autopilots.
That's my reading of it as well. Legacy attitude-based analog autopilots need 4 things: pitch, roll, heading, course. The G3x still uses the same GAD29b as the G5 and it only provides course and heading.

That's my reading of it as well. Legacy attitude-based analog autopilots need 4 things: pitch, roll, heading, course. The G3x still uses the same GAD29b as the G5 and it only provides course and heading.
well that's a bummer

well that's a bummer
You might want to keep an eye on the Aerovonics AV30S. That will feed your old autopilot with pitch/bank and allow you to dump your vacuum system, if it ever gets approved.

You might want to keep an eye on the Aerovonics AV30S. That will feed your old autopilot with pitch/bank and allow you to dump your vacuum system, if it ever gets approved.

Or it could become another ICARUS. We just added dual g5s and a GAD29B. That combination drives our STEC 60-2 fine and we lost 18 lbs of dual vacuum pumps and associated plumbing and hardware. A very happy day to remove vacuum pumps as a failure mode. No doubt this system has new and more exciting failure modes.

Already have dual G5 and GAD 29B , not sure if AV30S will fit in that set up

I have one of those on pre-order. Supposed to be available in [not my lifetime] months...

Already have dual G5 and GAD 29B , not sure if AV30S will fit in that set up
Well you still have a vacuum AI to drive your autopilot, right? Replace that with an AV30 and no more vacuum.

Or it could become another ICARUS. We just added dual g5s and a GAD29B. That combination drives our STEC 60-2 fine and we lost 18 lbs of dual vacuum pumps and associated plumbing and hardware. A very happy day to remove vacuum pumps as a failure mode. No doubt this system has new and more exciting failure modes.

You know, one of the things that's most impressive about the G3X Touch + G5 + GFC 500 combo is the redundancy it provides. Both the G3X and G5 can directly control the autopilot, and they cross-check each other to ensure there isn't a disagreement between them. If an AHRS goes wonky it'll let you know, and if you have a complete failure of either system, it'll just keep on truckin' on autopilot as if nothing happened. You don't even have to push a button.

We've never had this level of failure monitoring and fault tolerance in certified piston GA before: Two separate systems to drive the autopilot, plus instruments that monitor each other. Pretty cool.

You know, one of the things that's most impressive about the G3X Touch + G5 + GFC 500 combo is the redundancy it provides. Both the G3X and G5 can directly control the autopilot, and they cross-check each other to ensure there isn't a disagreement between them. If an AHRS goes wonky it'll let you know, and if you have a complete failure of either system, it'll just keep on truckin' on autopilot as if nothing happened. You don't even have to push a button.

We've never had this level of failure monitoring and fault tolerance in certified piston GA before: Two separate systems to drive the autopilot, plus instruments that monitor each other. Pretty cool.

You know it’s super cool and I am amazed by this level of technology coming to our GA spam can. Makes me wonder the engineers at boing were smoking when they designed a system relying only on one source of data.

You know it’s super cool and I am amazed by this level of technology coming to our GA spam can. Makes me wonder the engineers at boing were smoking when they designed a system relying only on one source of data.

If you're talking about older glass panels - Let's say, the G1000 - They had a single ADAHRS but there were gyro-driven backup units, and it was up to the pilot to notice that they disagreed and assume the steam gauges were wrong. ;)

If Dynon ever gets some additional planes on their Skyview AML, it'll be hard to justify going with Garmin - the Dynon features are at least as good for a third the price, and anyone can install the Dynon equipment (with IA supervision). But you are right - I think it's a bad day for Aspen.

I think Garmin hit some solid balls here!

Aspen should be poopin' in their britches, just now.

If Dynon ever gets some additional planes on their Skyview AML, it'll be hard to justify going with Garmin - the Dynon features are at least as good for a third the price, and anyone can install the Dynon equipment (with IA supervision). But you are right - I think it's a bad day for Aspen.

When I was looking for what I still need to put in, Dynon wasn't that much cheaper. About $20K vs. $25K for the equipment and STC.

Also, not just anyone can install Dynon certified equipment. In fact, they have a VERY short list of authorized places, that's growing at a glacial pace (they're adding about 3 new ones per year).

> But you are right - I think it's a bad day for Aspen.

Can't see that... Yet anyway... The fact that the Aspen drops into the existing holes is a huge plus

cap…

We would get hosed having the Garmin dealer install the G3X. Mega $$$$$ Garmin went with the LCD display.. again, and no battery backup... A miss IMHO..

Aspen's TFT display can be read with polarized glasses and in sunlight...

I am more excited about their new GPSs, possibly driving down the price of a good used 430W.. :)

Garmin went with the LCD display.. again, and no battery backup... A miss IMHO..

There's a third-party battery available that does work with it. Garmin probably just figured that the G5 would work as a backup, and with that third-party battery available it was something they didn't have to tackle for those who want it.

There's a third-party battery available that does work with it. Garmin probably just figured that the G5 would work as a backup, and with that third-party battery available it was something they didn't have to tackle for those who want it.

Agreed, but still a miss in the feature list... (IMHO)

Back