New Chief Counsel of the FAA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that a new Chief Counsel of the FAA was sworn in this morning, and he is a classmate and fraternity brother of mine. So, let's hear all the questions you want me to run by him.

Please encourage GA and more pilots to take interest in GA, and more DPE’s are needed!!

Yep, sounds like a lawyer! :D

Pretty sure the FAA has policies on staff being on message boards and the like.

Well, we are friends on Facebook, so who knows. As third in command, maybe he can change that rule.

Pretty sure the FAA has policies on staff being on message boards and the like. We used to have an Airport Operations board and a Certification Inspector was a member, but was forced to delete his account.
Yeah, I know. It's fun to think about though.

Pretty sure the FAA has policies on staff being on message boards and the like. We used to have an Airport Operations board and a Certification Inspector was a member, but was forced to delete his account.

FAA employees can join message boards, but they cannot represent the agency on the board. So if Marc was a pilot and wanted to chat about flying, no sweat. If he wanted to answer an FAA policy question, he can share a publicly communicated position, as a pilot, not as AGC-001.

FAA employees can join message boards, but they cannot represent the agency on the board. So if Marc was a pilot and wanted to chat about flying, no sweat. If he wanted to answer an FAA policy question, he can share a publicly communicated position, as a pilot, not as AGC-001.

And that may have been the rub on the Airport Operations side, having an Airport Inspector participating and offering his opinion and insight into Airport situations. Although for a person in his position, even as a pilot, it would be a fine line to dance on.

Is that the official FAA position? ;)

Is that the official FAA position? ;)

Imagine us having a ROP v LOP or Tailwheel v Nosewheel discussion and having the Chief Counsel give his personal opinion, and someone twisting it into the Chief Counsel has said that Tailwheels are the only real airplanes. :D:D

You'll have to wait to catch me in person sometime. I can't spill the beans on the internet.

That sounds like leverage :biggrin:

not sure I have questions, but I would like to express a desire to avoid radical changes to past interpretations.

I'm pretty sure there still are a few, but those of us who think we know of them are careful not to out them.

What school and fraternity?

"The native New Yorker is a graduate of the Washington and Lee University Law School in Virginia, and holds a B.A. from Wabash College in Indiana. In May 2018, Marc became only the second elected African American as well as the second LGBT president of the Wabash College Alumni Association in the college’s 200-year existence."

From the link the OP posted....amazing what you can learn if you read. ;)

And the first hit for a google search for "Mark Nichols fraternity":

https://www.lambdachi.org/black-history-month-spotlight-marc-nichols/

Last edited:
I doubt he will ever see a request for interpretation. Those are usually issued by Assistent Chief Council Regulations.
Most questions are not even answered by that office any more, given the new policy that
only those requests that present a novel or legally significant issue, as determined by the Chief Counsel, will be considered as potentially warranting a legal interpretation​
A whole two interpretations were published (publicly, anyway) for 2021. Those that are not "novel or legally significant" are being forwarded to other branches for response.

What school and fraternity?
You can see our college in the link to his bio. We are Lambda Chi Alpha. He was our president the same year I was our ritualist.

"The native New Yorker is a graduate of the Washington and Lee University Law School in Virginia, and holds a B.A. from Wabash College in Indiana. In May 2018, Marc became only the second elected African American as well as the second LGBT president of the Wabash College Alumni Association in the college’s 200-year existence."

From the link the OP posted....amazing what you can learn if you read. ;)

And the first hit for a google search for "Mark Nichols fraternity":

https://www.lambdachi.org/black-history-month-spotlight-marc-nichols/

Yeah, that.

You can see our college in the link to his bio. We are Lambda Chi Alpha. He was our president the same year I was our ritualist.
Ritualist?? Oh man, this gotta be good. C'mon now, give it up. And don't be givin' us no 'what happens at the frat stays at the frat' crap.

Thank you.

Ritualist?? Oh man, this gotta be good. C'mon now, give it up. And don't be givin' us no 'what happens at the frat stays at the frat' crap.

That's exactly what I would expect him to do/say. I suspect that Lambda Chi Alpha is very much like Phi Kappa Sigma (my fraternity) in that respect. Sorry...

Lambda Chi Alpha. Pfft, no Togas

images

You mean the link I posted earlier in this thread?

I re-iterate: it’s amazing what you learn when you read…

I was going to quote Daleandee instead of you and deny you the participation trophy you crave, but I'm in a good mood. :D

I shouldn't be, as I just read that puff piece for the second time, and still didn't see a mention of any specific legal accomplishment or novelty in his career. Frankly I'm not sure I'd classify much of the hand-wavery there as any sort of legal mention at all, but he apparently spoke with a legal trade publication journalist once, so I'll give half credit.

Did I overlook something twice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back