Need wood

Jdm

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jdm
Anyone know what type of wood Cessna used to make the blocks for the battery box lid? Can’t seem to find them new anywhere.

Attachments

• 8C8E34C8-AA3C-4EB7-AC75-0541B46F34EA.jpeg
    8C8E34C8-AA3C-4EB7-AC75-0541B46F34EA.jpeg
    487.8 KB · Views: 108
Anyone know what type of wood Cessna used to make the blocks for the battery box lid? Can’t seem to find them new anywhere.
No clue. In recent past you could buy new ones for less than fabricating them. However, you could also fabric new ones from a newer composite material as a minor. AC43.13-2A used to provide guidance by simply stating "wood or rubber" but that was revised out in -2B when the requirements changed to a positive battery hold-down system. But if you want to stick with wood I would go with any hardwood and paint them with an anti-acid paint.

Not sure what they were made of, but I don't think you can beat teak for that type of application if you have that choice:

Teak has a high degree of natural durability, is moderately hard and heavy with low stiffness and shock resistance but an excellent decay resistance and dimensional stability with a good acid resistance. Exterior and interior, indoor and outdoor furniture, ship decks.

Reactions: Jdm
I would think something inexpensive that you can find at any home depot or Lowes. Poplar or pine with a coat of paint as someone noted above.

Bell where did you find the ones you purchased? Figured Aircraft spruce would have something like this but no luck.

where did you find the ones you purchased?
It was either Preferred Airparts or Yingling about 10 years ago. But I have fabricated more similar type parts out of UHMW or some other type of polyethylene sheet material. Last forever.

Gotcha. Thanks guys.

It was either Preferred Airparts or Yingling about 10 years ago. But I have fabricated more similar type parts out of UHMW or some other type of polyethylene sheet material. Last forever.
Delrin. Run screws into it through the box's lid. It will be the screws that rot out.

Wood? Any hardwood. Home Depot's aircraft wood section has lots of maple and birch and oak.

hqdefault.jpg

It requires a particular type of wood; same species used to make Aircraft Logs.

Aircraft Spruce of course!

So there I was… tryin to impress a girl…

She had a wood burning fireplace. I said we should make a fire with some of the fire wood I saw in the yard. She said it wouldn’t burn… Wha? What kind of “men” had she been hanging with? Can’t make a fire in a fireplace, bah..

Fine, have it your way.

Had to cook my crow in the oven. That stuff WOULD NOT BURN. I’d make those little parts out of that stuff.

If you can find it easily, I'd use white oak because it's not very porous. But I'd coat it with a thin coat of epoxy rather than or before painting it. I could be wrong, but don't think most paint is all that resistant to battery acid compared to epoxy.

Thanks for the replies. I’m now a carpenter instead of a mechanic! Found a chunk of oak in the garage. It’s the thick stuff they make oak stair treads with.

Back