Need qty 2 4333 magnetos. Suggestions.

Shepherd

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Shepherd
So it turns out my mags have not been serviced in 821 hours.
Where do you guys get your mags?

You want both to have impulse couplers? You don't want one to be impulse coupled and the other not?

What about a SureFly to replace one of the mags?

When I was looking for new or overhauled slick magnetos a couple of weeks ago I came to the conclusion that it was going to be faster and cost about the same if I did the overhaul on the ones I had. Depending on the condition of what you have and the willingness of your mechanic, I’d add that as a route to investigate.

I have mine overhauled at Aero Accessories in Van Nuys, $1,376 for both this past July and it only took them a couple of days.

So it turns out my mags have not been serviced in 821 hours.
Where do you guys get your mags?
QAA did the Archer’s mags. About a month turn around time.

Aircraft Magneto Service has repaired & oh'd several of mine and I put in an order for a pair of 'new' ones this week.
Don. 406-543-0695
They are in Stevensville, MT and do great work. Plus can help you find new ones.
Caution; I am told their unscrupulous competitor is buying up all domains resembling theirs ie the word Services (the 's' or plural is one trick)

Just talked to AMS yesterday.

SHOCKED to hear their comment that NEW “Bendix” mags PLUS harness cost less than overhauling a Slick.

I hope I heard it right.

I second the recommendation to use AMS. I’ve used them a number of times for both Slick and Bendix. Seems like the Slicks were less but I’d have to check. We just had 4 older Bendix mags overhauled a few weeks ago. Excellent service. Totally fixed our problems. I’ve only had one hard problem with a mag they overhauled and they took care of it 100%. Plenty of other good repair options but I’m convinced that a well equipped and knowledgeable facility like AMS will do a much better job of overhaul/inspection than your average local mechanic.
When you get the mags back, be sure to adhere to the caution tag instructions on torquing the P leads. It’s VERY easy to over torque and cause permanent internal damage. They see this type damage every day.

The price I was quoted for parts to fix my mags was 50% higher than buying replacements and sending in the old mags.

The price I was quoted for parts to fix my mags was 50% higher than buying replacements and sending in the old mags.

Quote from?

Type mags?

“Replacements” new or o/h?

btw- I’d like to suggest that you CONFIRM the Service Bulletins are current when buying new. Particularly before having them shipped. I found this out the the hard way after install. I’m sure it’s quite a challenge to determine the SB status on multiple items they have in stock so it just isn’t done. This leaves it for the
“Installing Agency” to make the determination. If this is determined only after receiving the items it can result in a considerable delay with returning them. You may find that there are none available that are SB Compliant. This could in turn
necessitate switching dealers or brands! Can we say “ Downtime”!
I
There are times when NEW is not NICE.

btw- I’d like to suggest that you CONFIRM the Service Bulletins are current when buying new. Particularly before having them shipped. I found this out the the hard way after install.

Excellent point! I learned this lesson as well. AMS will have all the SB’s documented on the back of the tag if you happen to use them. Seems like they charged about $600 ea. for the slick 500 hr inspection/repair. Overhauled Bindix was around twice that.

If the mechanic is buying individual parts the prices to repair a Slick magneto will get out of hand very quickly. 500 hour and overhaul kits are available and they are at a price that is in line with what the magneto shops would charge.

This problem of parts pricing, among others, is how the Slicks earned the reputation of being a throwaway magneto.

At one time Slick offered a substantial trade allowance in for non- Slick mags.

Eventually they did away with the program for Case, Eisemann and Bendix SF mags.

Once they got market share the prices soared.

I hope I understood that correctly.

I’d certainly consider surefly…

Back