Nastiest airports you've flown in...

Another good one is FirstAir Field (W16) in Washington State. The 2000' long, 34' wide runway runway can be a challenge, even without the airplanes parked with their noses on the runway sidelines as the were the day I flew in.

I'll agree with Glenwood Springs. Angel Fire wasn't so bad but I don't remember it being windy that day and I'm sure that makes a big difference.
Without the winds, it's a breeze. But even looking at a sectional, you can almost see what those winds will do when the kick up through the mountain passes.

brian];1782849 said:
Ya know, I do depart to the south over a Skeet shooting range ... Hmm.. you're not making me feel very good now ....

Garmin Pilot has a note for Dan Jones International (T51) that there's a skeet range on the airport.

Gilmore (57K), Pleasanton, KS (now closed).

2900', narrow, broken asphalt. A falling down lean-to shelter that might have been a hangar at one time. A windsock without a sock, weeds about 2'-3' tall. It looked abandoned for several years before it officially closed.

Can't remember why I landed there - was with my CFI on a PP training flight and it might have been a simulated engine out to a landing. I do remember landing to the south, turning around, back taxi back to the north end, and stopping facing north. The rwy wasn't wide enough to turn around on it without dropping a wheel off the side, and I didn't like not being able to see what was in the weeds along the edge. I decided to shut down the Warrior and get out to push the plane around to face south. That let me notice a spare tire in the weeds on the east side (I would have hit it I had elected to drop the right wheel off the pavement on that side) and a slight ditch on the west side that we would have dropped into had I decided to roll the right wheel off on that side. Ended up needing to do a three-point turn with the tow bar.

CFI and I both made a note to not do that again.

edit:

Still shows up on AirNav even though it's closed:

http://www.airnav.com/airport/57K

Last edited:
MTP - Montauk Airport. The runway isn't that short (3200 ft) but approaching runway 6 can be rough when there are 70 foot sand dunes on short final.

KTCS , Truth or Consequences, NM. We diverted there one day due to weather. With friends on board. Unstaffed, no online services, no courtesy car and too far to walk anywhere, one couch in the FBO building ridden with fleas. As the weather got closer, made the command decision to get the heck out of there fast with my 3 passengers so we wouldn't get stuck.

That's nasty.

Oh, yeah, I'm with you on TCS. I stopped there for fuel once. No one there, ended up going to LRU instead.

I nominate T94 as being a place I won't go again.

What was wrong with Danbury? Its been a few years... All I remember was a sporting goods store and liquor store next to the fbo!
I haven't been there in a while but IIRC correctly you need to maintain about a 6 degree glide slope. The place is surrounded by terrain. Not the worst but not the easiest approach either.

I thought Auburn, CA (KAUN) was pretty scary landing on 25 - terrain and non-flat runway, for a student at 30 hours.

AUN isn't THAT bad.

Try 2o3. It's on a ridge top, another 100 foot ridge with trees is right under short final, winds get "interesting," has no taxiways nor AWOS and a nearly invisible windsock, and sometimes visitors taxi out to the threshold without looking behind them. At least the runway is fairly long and wide. But it's not that unusual for descending air to blow down the runway, which can make for an interesting takeoff.

Then, there is Catalina (AVX). Pretty much the same thing, except there is a hump in the middle of the runway that makes it look a whole lot shorter than it really is, and you can't see the far end on takeoff.

Then, there is Catalina (AVX). Pretty much the same thing, except there is a hump in the middle of the runway that makes it look a whole lot shorter than it really is, and you can't see the far end on takeoff.

Whoa there Hoss. You think Catalina is "nasty"?

It's one of the nicest, cleanest, welcoming airports in SoCal. This isn't about a runway that has a bump in it, or something, this is about a place that you wouldn't ever let your pre-teen daughter get near.

I''ve never had a problem with Telluride. BUT, that said, I don't attempt it if the weather is questionable.
Telluride probably looks more intimidating than it actually is. That said, never let your guard down!!

In my limited experience so far the worst I have delt with was Chester, CT (KSNC). Landing there was quite an experience that is for sure. It doesnt seem like its a super short runway (2700 x 50) on paper, but the winds have plenty of tricks up their sleeves to make you use every inch on landing there. The one time i landed there was probably the scariest landing I have had because where I touched down was before my go/no go point, but holy crap i was fighting the urge to go around after i was on the ground because I was running out of runway fast. Unfortunately with the trees at the end I dont know if I would have been able to climb out with the remaining runway and didn't want to find out the hard way.

The real issue seemed to be that on the end of 35 there is a drop off and right around the threshold the CTLS i was flying really wanted to balloon right at the edge. that and the winds were squirrely and quite different on the ground due to the terrain and hangar placement.

Now I fully admit that a lot of this may be that I am still fairly low time, but I am going to do some more short field practice before I consider going there again.
Agreed!! I have landed Chester once in my life. The winds were tossing the airplane like a match stick!!

I haven't been there in a while but IIRC correctly you need to maintain about a 6 degree glide slope. The place is surrounded by terrain. Not the worst but not the easiest approach either.

Which I find to be absolutely beautiful! Love the view of the hills around Danbury.

Really? I flew into Rutland on a student dual night cross country and flew there with my wife on my second flight after getting my private certificate. I don't recall it being particularly challenging when compared with airports (paved, without considering backcountry strips) such as Glenwood Springs (KGWS) in Colorado (in a canyon), Angel Fire (KAXX) in New Mexico (on a plateau with substantial crosswinds venturied by the peaks to the west) or Mountain Air (2NC0) in North Carolina (a private airport for a fly-in community in the shadow of the highest peak in the eastern mountains).
I used to go into Rutland at night flying checks... Perhaps that skewed my opinion if RUT.

Oh crap!!!

Hot Springs Virginia..?? I think that's the name. The one in top of the hill?

I should redo my list. That would be in the top three for sure!!

Angwin (203). Normally it isn't that bad but if the winds are wrong, it can ruin your whole day. It's situated near the top of a mountain just under a ridgeline. I took off there one day and the wind, which was coming straight down the runway, changed and turned in to a downdraft coming off the ridgeline just as I was getting airborne. I BARELY made it over the tree line, and lost a couple hundred feet towards the valley below before I could start climbing out again. F that place, they can keep their sanitariums.

Inspired from other thread-

1) TEX (Telluride)- if you've seen it, no explanation needed.
2) RUT (Rutland)- mountains
3) DXR (Danbury)- indescribable
4) PDK (Peachtree)- I'm likely solo on this one, but it just something about it. Can't put my finger on it. High approach angle and displaced landing south? Towers to the south when landing north? Not sure but I don't like it.

Honorable mentions:
Aspen
Eagle

Nothing wrong with RUT or DXR when VFR. Love them. I agree with the Montauk/MTP nomination on the other hand. Anyone who says they've had a smooth landing there is lying.

It's one of the nicest, cleanest, welcoming airports in SoCal. This isn't about a runway that has a bump in it, or something, this is about a place that you wouldn't ever let your pre-teen daughter get near.
I guess it depends on the definition of "nasty" we are using. I've seen both the "bump" or "challenging" definition and the "pre-teen" definition being applied.

Airpark Dallas (F69).

Runway is a mess, Have to contact KADS which requires you first contact DFW approach when IB.

It is small, surrounded by infrastructure, and hard to spot.

The only reason to go there is to save the 45 dollar landing fee at KADS.

From AirNav
Surface: asphalt, in poor condition
EXTENSIVE CRACKING, LOOSE ASPH & STONES ON RY.
Runway edge lights: non-standard
Runway edge markings: NSTD CNTRLN MKG INCORRECT SIZE & SPACING. RY NRS 25 FT TALL. MKGS FADED.

Obstructions: 20 ft. pole, 220 ft. from runway, 50 ft. right of centerline, 1:1 slope to clear
ROAD AT 58 FT; +4 FT FENCE AT 20 FT FM THLD ON EXTDD CNTRLN;
19 FT SIGN AT 124 FT FM THLD 70 FT EAST OF EXTDD CNTRLN.
41 ft. tree, 528 ft. from runway, 33 ft. left of centerline, 8:1 slope to clear
30 FT TREES AT 25 FT FM THLD 130 FT R; +4 FENCE AT THLD 100 FT RIGHT. +15 FT RD 110 FT R.

I will second Airpark Dallas. It is a complete mess (it has an interesting history and ongoing battle with different owners and the city that mean it gets no capital investment). The runway is narrow, the squirrelly winds off nearby structures can be frightening, the QuikTrip sign on the north end of the field (love QT though), the ridiculously crumbling 'taxiway' and the fact that there is no real FBO - the fuel is in a guy's back yard (great guy though).

Leadville, CO (KLXV) because it's the highest paved runway in North America at 9,927' and sits at the upper end of a valley with one way in and one way out for most GA 'craft. Still its runway is plenty long enough if you mind your performance data. It need not be 'nasty' to the thorough pilot.

Private/ASEL/Instrument
1979 Cessna Turbo 182RG

Nothing wrong with RUT or DXR when VFR. Love them. I agree with the Montauk/MTP nomination on the other hand. Anyone who says they've had a smooth landing there is lying.
:lol:. I had a smooth landing there...once. Also had one of my scariest landings there...with my little son onboard:hairraise:. Caught some nasty gust in the flare which almost blew me into the dunes! Still kicking myself in the rear for not going around:redface:

Dude there is still a swirl from my ******* on the seat of the 207 I flew in there with.

edit: PS were you flying around Hollo Bay Sunday? Heard a couple guys buzzing around while I was sitting right seat in the KA.

No, I was sitting in class learning to be a bear guide. And studying hard for the drug test.....

I landed at Newenham once when the runway was clear but the ramp was in the clouds. Those guys there were really happy to see someone.....anyone.

For those that haven't been to Cape Newenham Radar site, to land you set up for slow flight, the slowest you have ever been in a C-207 or 208, wait for contact with the ground, then add power to taxi up hill. Land uphill, takeoff down hill towards the water. Go arounds are not an option.

If I remember right there were remains of a C-54 above the runway that tried to do a go around.

What is now known as PMV ===> before the present patch was activated in '73

Used to be a grass strip that was sticky to landing gear and encouraged (STRONGLY) knowledge of Soft Field procedures

CHO, or any other airport that charges $2 more/g for 100LL than everyone else....

nasty? KAPA. I hate flying into that airport. It's not unsafe. Just hate the procedures and traffic.

Last edited:
Oh crap!!!

Hot Springs Virginia..?? I think that's the name. The one in top of the hill?

I should redo my list. That would be in the top three for sure!!

Hot Springs is a great airport. Wide runways, great service. Last time I was there, an Osprey was on the ramp.

The one that is intimidating is Sky Bryce (VG18)

Hot Springs is a great airport. Wide runways, great service. Last time I was there, an Osprey was on the ramp.

The one that is intimidating is Sky Bryce (VG18)
Lol!!! This just shows how people's opinions can differ.

Lol!!! This just shows how people's opinions can differ.

Don't overshoot or undershoot and you'll be fine!

Seriously, though, the runway is 5600 x 100 with no obstructions on the approach/takeoff, so it's really not that hard. It supported Part 121 operations for a while (regional jets/turboprops).... that traffic now goes to LWB instead as the Greenbriar is a little ritzier than the Homestead.

Don't overshoot or undershoot and you'll be fine!

Seriously, though, the runway is 5600 x 100 with no obstructions on the approach/takeoff, so it's really not that hard. It supported Part 121 operations for a while (regional jets/turboprops).... that traffic now goes to LWB instead as the Greenbriar is a little ritzier than the Homestead.
I also have bad memories of the winds at Hot Springs...

And so is AUN and 2o3.

"Nasty" can mean a lot of things. DesertNomad was describing one that is challenging to land on.

Blue Canyon is "nasty" for a similar reason (except it's takeoffs rather than landings). 3300 feet isn't very long at 8000 DA.

I have yet to find an airport I wouldn't let a pre-teen use. My 10 year old son comes to most of them. Yes, even Oakland (he rather likes that one).

Last edited:
"Nasty" can mean a lot of things. DesertNomad was describing one that is challenging to land on.

Blue Canyon is "nasty" for a similar reason (except it's takeoffs rather than landings). 3300 feet isn't very long at 8000 DA.

Your synonym dictionary is -- well, whatev.

Synonyms 'nasty':
disagreeable (adjective)
bothersome, disgusting, distasteful, obnoxious, offensive, repulsive, unpalatable, unpleasant, frightful, dread(a), cruddy, smutty, tight, terrible, amazing, horrific, filthy, awed, fearful, abominable, unspeakable, horrendous, awful, foul, atrocious, tremendous, dreaded, awe-inspiring, awing, dreadful, direful, awesome, frightening, dire, painful, fearsome

Your synonym dictionary is -- well, whatev.

Synonyms 'nasty':
disagreeable (adjective)
bothersome, disgusting, distasteful, obnoxious, offensive, repulsive, unpalatable, unpleasant, frightful, dread(a), cruddy, smutty, tight, terrible, amazing, horrific, filthy, awed, fearful, abominable, unspeakable, horrendous, awful, foul, atrocious, tremendous, dreaded, awe-inspiring, awing, dreadful, direful, awesome, frightening, dire, painful, fearsome

So, what's wrong with it again?

The name is ambitious, but the A/FD remarks for 48U are not exactly Chamber of Commerce gems:

Screen%252520shot%2525202013-11-16%252520at%25252010.33.02%252520AM.jpg

IMG_3351.JPG

1) Balad Iraq- "Mortaritaville." Landing short final one day with explosions going off midfield and just left of the runway. Tower is yelling "Wer're taking indirect fire! We are condition red! No arrivals, no departures! Just hold your position." A C23 banks right over us in the overhead popping flares out the back. We clear the runway and another rocket hits a hanger off our 11 o clock. Crazy place. They had a Pizza Hut so that made up for it.

2) Baqubah Iraq- "RPG Alley." Just a dirty little place where they take pot shots, surrounded by high tension wires that you have to climb over. Comms suck, so you can't get a hold of the controlling agency until the last minute. At which time they chew you out because you penetrated the ROZ while their UAV was up. Good place to buy DVDs though.

3) Bagram Afghanistan- Way too much traffic for only one runway. Transports, fighters and helos all trying to converge at once with contract controllers who's experience varies greatly. Throw in the "120 days of wind" where you have 35-45 kt winds almost everyday with BLDU and you have some challenging days to say the least. Probably took 10 years off my life inhaling burn pit smoke.

4) Kabul Afghanistan- Horrible foreign controllers that can barely speak English and don't know their own rules. Trying to leave one night and they went IFR and won't issue a SVFR. I'm showing above mins so I ask what are his SVFR minimums? "Do you have...ah...night glasses?" "Yes, we have those." "Ok, cleared for take off." The standing joke after that was that anytime they deny a request, just tell them you have "night glasses" and they approve anything. :D Oh yeah, kite season sucks in Kabul. Came back a couple of times with kite string in the tail rotor.

Honorable mention:

5) Jbad Afghanistan- incredibly hot and humid. They park ya a gizzillion miles away from the ramp. Always holding short so some Predator can take off. Runway is sloped and crooked. Can't even see departing traffic because of the hump in midfield. Good shopping.

So, what's wrong with it again?

Catalina = frightening?

Sorry, only one 'whatev' per thread. I won't bother with synonyms for frighten to see if there's any semblance to your prev statement. Sorry I quoted you, but feel free to quote and get your last shot in.

1) Balad Iraq- "Mortaritaville." Landing short final one day with explosions going off midfield and just left of the runway. Tower is yelling "Wer're taking indirect fire! We are condition red! No arrivals, no departures! Just hold your position." A C23 banks right over us in the overhead popping flares out the back. We clear the runway and another rocket hits a hanger off our 11 o clock. Crazy place. They had a Pizza Hut so that made up for it.

2) Baqubah Iraq- "RPG Alley." Just a dirty little place where they take pot shots, surrounded by high tension wires that you have to climb over. Comms suck, so you can't get a hold of the controlling agency until the last minute. At which time they chew you out because you penetrated the ROZ while their UAV was up. Good place to buy DVDs though.

3) Bagram Afghanistan- Way too much traffic for only one runway. Transports, fighters and helos all trying to converge at once with contract controllers who's experience varies greatly. Throw in the "120 days of wind" where you have 35-45 kt winds almost everyday with BLDU and you have some challenging days to say the least. Probably took 10 years off my life inhaling burn pit smoke.

4) Kabul Afghanistan- Horrible foreign controllers that can barely speak English and don't know their own rules. Trying to leave one night and they went IFR and won't issue a SVFR. I'm showing above mins so I ask what are his SVFR minimums? "Do you have...ah...night glasses?" "Yes, we have those." "Ok, cleared for take off." The standing joke after that was that anytime they deny a request, just tell them you have "night glasses" and they approve anything. :D Oh yeah, kite season sucks in Kabul. Came back a couple of times with kite string in the tail rotor.

Honorable mention:

5) Jbad Afghanistan- incredibly hot and humid. They park ya a gizzillion miles away from the ramp. Always holding short so some Predator can take off. Runway is sloped and crooked. Can't even see departing traffic because of the hump in midfield. Good shopping.
So pretty much everything in Afghanistan and Iraq is nasty?:D

Hmm, I find Terlingua ranch delightful.

http://terlinguaranch.com/

Covered tie down, pool, horses, cabins, camp area, hunting, hiking, cafe, etc.

4700' slight uphill, decently graded. Watch for hills and it's all good. I just can't find anything 'nasty' about the place except maybe a winter howling storm.

I would nominate Basin Harbor, VT (B06).

Runway is 3,000 but only 90 feet between trees. It's also somewhat difficult to spot unless you know what you're looking for.

So pretty much everything in Afghanistan and Iraq is nasty?:D

Yep, pretty much. Those aren't even the dangerous, truly "nasty" places in country either.

Back