[NA] We tipping for shipments now?

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Walmart, ordinary online stationery order, today.
They are tipping drivers, or adding tips to our total?
I’m always the last to learn these things.

IMG_3028.jpeg

Tip a walmart driver? No. Suggest that they just take something from the store instead? I think that's fair.

Its interesting listening to my 30-something millennial kids at this year's annual Thanksgiving potluck. The topic of discussion was how the younger generations doesn't work hard enough and expects to get tipped by their customers for just showing up to take their order and run their credit card.

I suppose this does mean I truly am becoming the curmudgeonly old fart I have been accused of being. ;-)

I think a lot of Vans builders would tip to get parts shipped out...

I have always tipped well, and sometimes over-the-top well if service was above and beyond.

That said, I’ve been getting extremely frustrated with the expansion of tipping to virtually every service, as well as the rise from an expected 15% to now 20% or more. Worse, many of the workers in “service” industries seem to believe that merely being on-site and converting O2 to C02 not only earns a paycheck, but entitles them to 20% or more tip as well.

And yes, get off my lawn.:D

It really miffs me that Habit Burger recently installed new card reader terminals that makes you select a tip option (including no tip) before you can pay. This is counter service fast food, not a table service restaurant.

Another trend here is, to save the staff the 'onerous trouble' of counting change, the checkout process is slowed, all day long by injecting into the sales progression verbally or electronically, "Do you want to Round Up For (their preferred large national charity)".

I always tell them the truth, "No thanks, I prefer to give locally."

Saw a post on a Facebook group that they got a grab and go sandwich from an airport kiosk and went to the register and the screen asked if they wanted to leave a tip

Another trend here is, to save the staff the 'onerous trouble' of counting change, the checkout process is slowed, all day long by injecting into the sales progression verbally or electronically, "Do you want to Round Up For (their preferred large national charity)".

I always tell them the truth, "No thanks, I prefer to give locally."
It seems like it's always some vague name like "Veterans Awareness Project". When I ask the clerk what specifically the charity does I get blank stares or a non-answer like "they help veterans". I choose my charities more carefully than that.

I think it should be implied that anyone accepting tips is also allowed to occasionally comp things to the customers. Like bartenders, for instance. So the next time you see a tip jar at a box store, ask them "if I tip well enough, is this power drill going to be free?" Maybe if we have enough of that, it'll stop. I don't think that's unreasonable, as you're more or less treating them as independent contractors/salesmen at that point, and that's a normal thing for sales people to sometimes do.

I live in the middle of nowhere so I'm not even up to date on all these delivery services.

I hate tipping though, it's just such a weird and arbitrary thing as far as who gets tipped and how much. Just pay your staff fairly build it into your fees/prices.

Worse, many of the workers in “service” industries seem to believe that merely being on-site and converting O2 to C02 not only earns a paycheck, but entitles them to 20% or more tip as well.
This reminds me of my first managers quote when one of the deadbeats at work publicly demanded a raise citing his own perceived outperformance that day.

The managers very public reply: "Your biggest accomplishment today is turning a gallon of coffee into a gallon of pi*s".

That quote has stuck with me ever since.

It really miffs me that Habit Burger recently installed new card reader terminals that makes you select a tip option (including no tip) before you can pay. This is counter service fast food, not a table service restaurant.
Not only that, but I patronized one where they also added in a "Service Charge" - of which I was unaware until I later looked at my receipt. I wonder what "Service" they were referring to?

Dave

service Fee probably covers the credit card fee to the bank.

Obviously doesn't work for online purchases, but I've recently reacquainted myself with making periodic ATM withdrawals and paying cash for anything that might try to hit me up with for a tip. Also, like Dave Ramsey opines, I find myself spending less on unnecessary stuff when I have to physically hand over cash money.

Saw a post on a Facebook group that they got a grab and go sandwich from an airport kiosk and went to the register and the screen asked if they wanted to leave a tip

It automatically -->> [CUSTOM AMOUNT] "$0.00" [ENTER][OK]. I do it so often, its over and done before the person behind the register figures out what happened. There are a few I surely hope are even upset about it when they do figure it out.

Back